Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Nov 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #211 of 493
@craigster

I would like to point out, with all due respect, natural treble may possible sometime sound nasty if the recording were to portray it that way. A heavy crashing of cymbals for example don't necessarily always sound "harmonious".

If it is "harsh" in the recording, it should sound "harsh" if accurate music reproduction is what you are after. Same goes for Sibilance, for some recordings, it's just there and nothing to do with the headphones/earphones.

I completely understand what you are saying and am referring more to upper-mid vocals that are brighter than I consider natural-sounding.  I just returned from Best Buy to give the P7 another opportunity.  I'm not sure if I am explaining this properly, but the mids sounded thin because vocals sounded unnaturally bright.  I selected a few artists where this should not be an issue- Natalie Merchant, Sade and Lorde.  I can see where some might find this enjoyable as there was a high level of detail, but I suppose I want a more relaxing listen when I enjoy vocals from these artists, not bracing myself for notes that I wouldn't otherwise expect to come out of an artist who was singing in front of me.  After another listen compared to Momentum, I prefer their mids and highs and am not a huge fan of Momentum.  However, I much prefer the more precise and articulate low end of the P7.  Now I just need to get my hands on a 1540 since the Alpha Dog raised the bar of what I expect from vocals.

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #212 of 493
My Senn. HD650s have a relaxed treble.  If you boost the treble, it does get louder, but still doesn't sound fully alive or accurate as you are still missing that sense of attack from say the sound of a snare drum for example. So I am curious to know how the Shure 1540 does in that regard.  And if anyone can do a more detailed comparison between the two that would be great for all of us HD650 owners out there looking for a closed can.

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #213 of 493
i just bought these for $709 amazon saturday delivery. I know they are going for $500 but I have credit with Amazon. These look like all-timers for me, especially with the replaceable cups and cable. Can't wait and thanks for all the posts on these babies by you fellow headfiers.

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #214 of 493
What is with amazon? I notice on amazon.ca they have some really bad prices on headphones. Prices that are $100.00 or more than I can get the same headphones for from other online stores. For example; amazon.ca wants over $650.00 CAD for Senn HD650 when the average price for HD650 is about $520.00 elsewhere. 

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #215 of 493
Yeah that's typical amazon for you. I bought mine last weekend and they had a quantity of five available for 499. A couple of days later the price went up to 624 with a quantity of 20 available with more on the way. I guess since they sold their initial stock fast, they felt they could charge the full retail price while most others are still selling them for 499. I would expect prices to return back to 499 soon since most people will probably buy them from other retailers now.

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #216 of 493
This is probably not the place to do it but here goes anyway:

I have a brand-new SRH1540 for sale on the forums for 420 shipping and paypal included.

got it as it gift and dont need it.

Let me know through PM if any potential buyers are interested.

Thanks

Andy

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #217 of 493
I totally agree with gelocks' perception that these are a technically superior 840 with a boosted low end.

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #219 of 493
Midrange and treble seems linear but not recessed at all. The bass has great impact without overshadowing the rest of the frequency... making it a rather enjoyable fun headphone. Soundstage is pretty wide for it to be a closed headphone... and is actually one of the largest I've heard among that category falling slightly behind the HP100.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #220 of 493
  Midrange and treble seems linear but not recessed at all. The bass has great impact without overshadowing the rest of the frequency... making it a rather enjoyable fun headphone. Soundstage is pretty wide for it to be a closed headphone... and is actually one of the largest I've heard among that category falling slightly behind the HP100.

Nice, thanks.

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #221 of 493
gelocks,

You still got your MDs? I'm curious about what the Alpha pads will do to the 1540's sound signature...
popcorn.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #222 of 493

Wait there aren't Wider than the HP 100... whoa how do they compare to the K550 [assuming you got one to fit long enough xD] 

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #223 of 493
If anyone is familiar with the Ultrasone Signature line and has tried or owns the 1540, does the 1540 do anything better than the Sig PRO/DJ?  I am looking for something more neutral and midrange focused to balance out my Sig DJ as I am in a female vocal phase right now thanks to this forum:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/1710#post_9960577 .  I actually really like the female  vocal presentation from the Sig DJ, but they are a bit recessed and the bass can be too much on some tracks (never thought I would say that as a basshead).

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #224 of 493
If anyone is familiar with the Ultrasone Signature line and has tried or owns the 1540, does the 1540 do anything better than the Sig PRO/DJ?  I am looking for something more neutral and midrange focused to balance out my Sig DJ as I am in a female vocal phase right now thanks to this forum:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/522812/the-best-female-vocals-your-favorite-female-singers/1710#post_9960577 .  I actually really like the female  vocal presentation from the Sig DJ, but they are a bit recessed and the bass can be too much on some tracks (never thought I would say that as a basshead).

When I compared my 1540 to my Sig Pro, I felt that the Sig had a much better overall tonal balance than the 1540 and probably would be considered to be the more accurate of the two. Isolation is about the same in both but the 1540's are lighter and more comfortable than the Sig. Still, overall, my preference is the Ultrasone. One could probably call the 1540 a more fun phone for casual listening.

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #225 of 493
When I compared my 1540 to my Sig Pro, I felt that the Sig had a much better overall tonal balance than the 1540 and probably would be considered to be the more accurate of the two. Isolation is about the same in both but the 1540's are lighter and more comfortable than the Sig. Still, overall, my preference is the Ultrasone. One could probably call the 1540 a more fun phone for casual listening.

My sincere thanks for saving me $500, or at least a restocking fee. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back