Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Nov 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #121 of 493
My pair just arrived also. My initial impressions are good--definitely an upgrade from the 940's. I will post a more detailed review after break-in and more listening time.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #123 of 493
I'd love t o know about this as well! 

I like a nice bright headphone honestly! 

The 1540 doesn't at all seem to be rolled off to me, as I can hear the same details in the highs that I hear with my 1840. They are just overall warmer. I am not yet sure I like the extra bass, as it definitely adds some coloration that the 1840 does not have. The 1540 is noticeably easier to drive than is my 1840. Maybe a 20% reduction in volume when listening to the 1540 pretty well matches the1840.

I will say the the 1540 works very well for listening at low volume levels. Sort of like a receiver with the loudness contour turned on. It also seems to me as the 1840 is lighter weight and a bit more comfortable for long listening periods. I am also not sure that I consider the new pads to be an improvement over the 1840 velours.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #124 of 493
 The 1540 is noticeably easier to drive than is my 1840. Maybe a 20% reduction in volume when listening to the 1540 pretty well matches the1840.

I will say the the 1540 works very well for listening at low volume levels. Sort of like a receiver with the loudness contour turned on.

Yeah, they sounded fantastic even driven straight out of my HTC butterfly......

I can`t believe you guys have them already:  2 months more wait here in Japan !  

Edit:  holy crap i just found them for $499 with FREE FEDEX to japan, which I`ve never seen before.  Is `earphone solutions` a stand-up operation from anyone`s experience ??

(sorry if this has been coverered in previous posts, I`m in panic-gotta-gettit-mode)

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #126 of 493

Yeah, they sounded fantastic even driven straight out of my HTC butterfly......

I can`t believe you guys have them already:  2 months more wait here in Japan !  

Edit:  holy crap i just found them for $499 with FREE FEDEX to japan, which I`ve never seen before.  Is `earphone solutions` a stand-up operation from anyone`s experience ??

(sorry if this has been coverered in previous posts, I`m in panic-gotta-gettit-mode)

EARPHONE SOLUTIONS KICKS ASS!!! :wink:

Just so that you are sure! LOL
I have ordered most of my Shure headphones from them!
And it seems they have them "in stock" because I received an email from them saying that they shipped mine today! :wink:

So go for it!

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #127 of 493

And it seems they have them "in stock" because I received an email from them saying that they shipped mine today! :wink:

So go for it!

Thanks gelocks ! 

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #128 of 493

Nice, man. Comparison this to the Mad Dog you have is beautiful.

I'd like to hear that as well. BUt the AD bs the 1540... well I guess the MD would be a good comparision to since the 1540 seems to b int he middle of the MD and AD price wise 

So go for it!

Nice 

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #129 of 493
I am cross-posting the below information from the newer SRH1540 thread as I think it will be of interest to those who might already have the SRH1840 or find the increased bass of the new 1540 to be a bit over-emphasized:

I discovered a very interesting thing when out of curiosity I swapped the Alcantara pads from my new 1540 with the velour pads of my 1840 as they fit interchangeably. Suddenly the 1840 played at the same volume as the 1540 with very large increase in bass, whereas the 1540 dropped in volume from stock and had significantly reduced bass. It is clear that the difference between the two types of pads make a huge difference in SQ.

I felt the stock 1540 had a bit too much bass emphasis for my taste, whereas the 1840 had just a bit too little. Now, with the pad swap, the 1540 suits my preferences very well. I suspect that I will keep the 1540 and sell my balanced 1840 with one set of each type of pad.

I was amazed that there was so much difference between the sound just by swapping pads.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #130 of 493
I am cross-posting the below information from the newer SRH1540 thread as I think it will be of interest to those who might already have the SRH1840 or find the increased bass of the new 1540 to be a bit over-emphasized:

I discovered a very interesting thing when out of curiosity I swapped the Alcantara pads from my new 1540 with the velour pads of my 1840 as they fit interchangeably. Suddenly the 1840 played at the same volume as the 1540 with very large increase in bass, whereas the 1540 dropped in volume from stock and had significantly reduced bass. It is clear that the difference between the two types of pads make a huge difference in SQ.

I felt the stock 1540 had a bit too much bass emphasis for my taste, whereas the 1840 had just a bit too little. Now, with the pad swap, the 1540 suits my preferences very well. I suspect that I will keep the 1540 and sell my balanced 1840 with one set of each type of pad.

I was amazed that there was so much difference between the sound just by swapping pads.

yea swapping pads on a W1000x results in teh same thing. with L3000 -> Stock -> J$ being the order of bassy pads. The J$ made the w1000x edm friendly but kinda meh for vocals, the stock do everything ok ish and the L3000 are the most refined and balanced. 

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #131 of 493

They have arrived!!!

How do these compare to your AKG K712 PROs in terms of sound signature and detail retrieval? I know it's a closed-open comparison so I also ask which do you prefer overall and why? Thanks!! 

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #133 of 493
Colored (excess base)? Not interested.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #134 of 493
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't posted any impressions, yet, as I've been busy working on schoolwork over the weekend. I have, however, had plenty of head time to give a few impressions.

Man, do these pack some punch compared to what I'm used to. I had already shipped out the MDs before the 1540 arrived; so I couldn't do any A/B-ing. The 1540 has a significant bass emphasis, compared to the MD 3.2, while still maintaining great detail and extension without hampering it's frequency. Nothing is recessed... so no need to think these are U-Shaped by any means.

The K712 PRO is very similar to the MD in sound signature (slight differences being large soundstage, slightly less bass and slightly more upper mids). So, in the end, I am appreciating the 1540 a little more because it has an extremely "fun" sound signature to compliment the reference sound of the K712. Not that the MD 3.2 wasn't fun or a great compliment, itself, it was just too similar and I always felt the need for a little more bass, sometimes.

Sorry I couldn't give more specific details in this post. I'm short on free time, at the moment, but I will definitely be back with more impressions throughout the week.

P.S. I am enjoying the 1540s so much that I am now in the market for an IEM to match it's sound and compliment my reference Westone 4R on the go. I remember Jude mentioning in the video that the SE535 is very close... so I'm looking for some red LTDs for a good price.

Nov 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #135 of 493
  Hey guys! Sorry I haven't posted any impressions, yet, as I've been busy working on schoolwork over the weekend. I have, however, had plenty of head time to give a few impressions.

Man, do these pack some punch compared to what I'm used to. I had already shipped out the MDs before the 1540 arrived; so I couldn't do any A/B-ing. The 1540 has a significant bass emphasis, compared to the MD 3.2, while still maintaining great detail and extension without hampering it's frequency. Nothing is recessed... so no need to think these are U-Shaped by any means.

The K712 PRO is very similar to the MD in sound signature (slight differences being large soundstage, slightly less bass and slightly more upper mids). So, in the end, I am appreciating the 1540 a little more because it has an extremely "fun" sound signature to compliment the reference sound of the K712. Not that the MD 3.2 wasn't fun or a great compliment, itself, it was just too similar and I always felt the need for a little more bass, sometimes.

Sorry I couldn't give more specific details in this post. I'm short on free time, at the moment, but I will definitely be back with more impressions throughout the week.

P.S. I am enjoying the 1540s so much that I am now in the market for an IEM to match it's sound and compliment my reference Westone 4R on the go. I remember Jude mentioning in the video that the SE535 is very close... so I'm looking for some red LTDs for a good price.

hmmm kinda fun nice bass... how is teh Sub Bass? Are these fast enough for some seriously heavy TECHNO use 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back