Shuoer impressions thread
Jan 7, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #3,348 of 3,872
A nice little present arrived through Yodel this morning. A very well packed, nicely boxed Shuoer ST12 Planar. First thing I noticed was the cable is exactly the same cable that came with my Shuoer Tape Pro. Good to see that because it is a very good solid two core cable. The IEMs themselves are that nice Shuoer industrial style, smaller than expected, and as solid as a brick outhouse. As per usual I put L Spiral Dot's on. My only experience with a planar previously was with the hybrid TRi i3. I learned then that Planar's need some juice to give their best. I got the S12, 4.4mm and have both a HiBy R5 and an iFi Hip-Dac to give them that juice. My first thought was to use the HiBy on high gain. First track I tried was to test sub-bass....Hans Zimmer, The Dark Night 3.20 onwards. Sub-bass is very noticeable and for me very present. On Ornette Coleman, Focus on Sanity, the Double Bass has presence and is in the right position in the mix, and there are good edges of the notes, which have enough solidity and presence. To me that is a very good sign. They do eat up the juice so you will need to turn the wick up, to get some real note edges. On the Stones, Laugh I Nearly Died, the initial drums give a good presence of the skins. Bass has texture, Mids so far seem to be positionally correct as well and not recessed. I'm going to put all else aside and concentrate on these for a month to get brain burn in and any other burn in. So far I think these are a very well tuned set, but that may change over time. I hope not. Fit should not be an issue for anybody as they are not a large IEM. For a well made planar, these are very good value.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #3,349 of 3,872
Currently can't get enough of Yanyin Canon - should be an interesting comparison too.
How is the Canon for its price? I've heard good things, but the reviews have been far and in-between. Are they as good as people say? I'm basically up for trying out an expensive IEM set in 2022 in the range of $300-$600, so will need to make a decision between EJ07M and Canon at some point. Just curious about your thoughts, especially since you have the MEST as well so something to compare to.

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #3,351 of 3,872
Interesting you say that, one thing I do know is Chifi do adjust the tuning of IEMs slightly like with Moondrop with the Blessing 2. This is random but I wonder if Shuoer does this since the resonance peaks are only a small adjustment?
Yup, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, especially since a simple damper does the trick. I bought mine soon after they came out, and it makes sense for manufacturers to fine-tune production as they get more experience with new models.

In any case, for the record, I am still thoroughly enjoying my EJ07m, and still have difficulty listening to my other IEMs over it.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #3,352 of 3,872
Letshuoer EJ07M x HBB Kinda Lava Edition coming soon!

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #3,353 of 3,872
After burning EJ07M for ~150 hours, finally listened to them.
The bass is amazing - better than MEST JP (which is supposed to sound the same as MKII). Probably the best bass in an IEM I have ever heard.
However, mids and treble are not that great - vocal timbre is a bit off, mids are not lush enough. Treble is too relaxed as well.

Would OG EJ07 fix the mids and treble, while retaining the amazing bass? Or would I need to go for Conductor/EJ09 for that?
Can anyone compare EJ07 and EJ07M, or EJ07 and Tri Starlight? I thought that Starlight was supposed to be EJ07 with more treble - while Starlight does have way too much treble, its bass isn't nearly as good as EJ07M (and hopefully OG EJ07).

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #3,355 of 3,872
After burning EJ07M for ~150 hours, finally listened to them.
The bass is amazing - better than MEST JP (which is supposed to sound the same as MKII). Probably the best bass in an IEM I have ever heard.
However, mids and treble are not that great - vocal timbre is a bit off, mids are not lush enough. Treble is too relaxed as well.

Would OG EJ07 fix the mids and treble, while retaining the amazing bass? Or would I need to go for Conductor/EJ09 for that?
Can anyone compare EJ07 and EJ07M, or EJ07 and Tri Starlight? I thought that Starlight was supposed to be EJ07 with more treble - while Starlight does have way too much treble, its bass isn't nearly as good as EJ07M (and hopefully OG EJ07).
@nymz has both EJs, maybe he can help you :)

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #3,356 of 3,872
How is the Canon for its price? I've heard good things, but the reviews have been far and in-between. Are they as good as people say? I'm basically up for trying out an expensive IEM set in 2022 in the range of $300-$600, so will need to make a decision between EJ07M and Canon at some point. Just curious about your thoughts, especially since you have the MEST as well so something to compare to.
Canon is amazeballs. Out of 4 switch variations I tried, 3 sound like a kiloback IEM (but with different signatures).
Ironically, the worst sounding combo is the default one (111), but it still sounds much better than Tri Starlight (for which I paid 700$).
Can't believe this actually costs 350$ (even less during the Winter Sale - 12 hours left!), and not way, way, way more.

EJ07M is also great, and kicks well above the price I paid (450$). Its bass is the best bass I ever heard in IEMs, including the 1600$ MEST JP (supposed to sound identical to MEST MK2).
Mids and treble are not as great though, the BA timbre in the mids is bothering me.

I loved Canon so much, I just bought another one - will use the two Canons with different switch configurations.
1642187900405.png

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #3,359 of 3,872
Wow, amazing. Thanks for the details, I guess I know which IEM I'm going for next then 😁:thumbsup::thumbsup:
With such great EQ options, it's really a no-brainer - much better chance that a random person will like it without listening to them before the purchase. And the price is mind-blowingly low for the SQ.
Unfortunately, the shipping of my second Canon is delayed, because I bought Rosemary too - it's made on order.
Don't really have high hopes for Rosemary, but it had to be done...

I dont hear 'BA' timbre at all on the 07m. Maybe your amp has bad synergy with them somehow.
I tried different combos. My most natural sounding and revealing combo (Khadas Tone Pro + O2), shows a relatively dry timbre in the vocals. It's not too bad, but it's not what I'm looking for - naturally lush, liquid and brilliant mids (yet still transparent and not "warm").
Other (warmer sounding) options do make it sound less dry, but natural brilliance is still not there.
Still - a TOTL killer, I may end up preferring it over MEST JP overall. No regrets, especially for 450$.

Jan 19, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #3,360 of 3,872
I'd like anyone with the ability to EQ to try this: (FOR THE S12):gs1000smile:

2000hz -5db,
1500hz +1db
3500hz +4db
4k hz +1db
6300k -1.6db
8k -3.7db
10k -6.2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back