Shuoer impressions thread
Dec 8, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #811 of 3,872
I also want to see the comparison as well. But for the price, I still think it depends on if you yourself think it's worth it. Diminishing return hits hard after $500 for me.

It's like when people rave about Blon 03 and its ridiculous price/performance ratio. All it matters is if the sound is to your liking. I have yet to see any TOTL to actually reflect their price when compare to lower tier. Again, personal taste.

For now, I can't see myself paying x5 the price for anything when compare to Tape. Maybe x2
Right. I believe a big part of the price difference in this case is played by the branded components (Sonion for the electrets and Knowles for the BA's in the EJ07). What I'm curious about is how much of an actual audible difference is between the two, since I'm not going to be able to compare myself even though I should receive the Tape shortly.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #812 of 3,872
for $500 you can get some TOTL iems from 2 years ago and thats a steal in todays landscape of audio. I am eagerly hoping for a MKII or a step in between the vanilla Tape and the EJ07

Dec 8, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #813 of 3,872
Im around 40 hours on the tape. I must say it has mellowed down and the peak on the 3-4k area has diminshed. Ive adjusted my prev eq setting to almost flat with still a little 4k dip and even lowered my slight bass hump.

Im more and more confident the new batch of the tape has fixed the qc issues, now.

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #814 of 3,872
Im around 40 hours on the tape. I must say it has mellowed down and the peak on the 3-4k area has diminshed. Ive adjusted my prev eq setting to almost flat with still a little 4k dip and even lowered my slight bass hump.

Im more and more confident the new batch of the tape has fixed the qc issues, now.
hmm....I never did stick with a eq down 4k. I just left it there. Frankly I don't find it too offensive.

Did you receive the new batch as well to confirm the QC change?

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #815 of 3,872
Nerdy Lord!

The tape also sounds absolutely fantastic on the PDV2. Better than the P1? A matter of taste.
I, as a fan of electronic music, actually prefer the tape.

However, in my opinion, the use of an EQ is imperative. The peak around 4khz has to be processed.

My preset on PDV2:

Again and again amazing how blatantly the PDV2 "emphasizes" the bass.
I had to lower the Tapes bass by -14db (!!!)@100hz

If anyone should be surprised about this crazy curve: meanwhile it turned out that my PDV2 was broken. I
nterestingly, my brain has interpreted this error as positive.
Anyway, I was surprised for weeks why the PDV2 sounded so different, as my remaining equipment.
Likewise, I was at a loss as to why I had to lower the bass so much (treble also)...
Well, the puzzle is solved.

At my Note9, my preset looks like this

Screenshot_20191207-092040_Neutron.jpg

After about 40 hours, my tape is still working. Linsoul has promised me, to inform the manufacturer, of the drivers why the default rate is so high

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #817 of 3,872
Dec 9, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #818 of 3,872
i think thats out of question. i use it with Hiby R3. There is another one in our Discord that uses R5 with it and has good battery time with it.
So 9038s will be put with velcro tape on the back, short usb C to C cable and tapes fly to the moon

Dec 9, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #819 of 3,872
@Krassi could E1DA 9038s match better than hiby R5 with Tape?

Both the R5 and the 9038s have a small output impedence of less than one. So they are both suitable with low impedence iems like the Tape (which is 18).

The 9038s will just be more convenient (or less if you don't have a nice flexible cable)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #822 of 3,872
$2100 GDC Anole VX 10 BA iem vs a shuoer EJ07 Tribrid iem at $850 seems cool but not at all and apple to oranges comparison.

Dec 11, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #823 of 3,872
Right. I believe a big part of the price difference in this case is played by the branded components (Sonion for the electrets and Knowles for the BA's in the EJ07). What I'm curious about is how much of an actual audible difference is between the two, since I'm not going to be able to compare myself even though I should receive the Tape shortly.

I'd like to know also whether there's any discernible difference between the EJ07 with knowles for BA vs must-not-be-named ST7 with Sonion BAs.

Dec 11, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #824 of 3,872
I'd like to know also whether there's any discernible difference between the EJ07 with knowles for BA vs must-not-be-named ST7 with Sonion BAs.
Hey, apparently new ST7 come exactly the same as Shuoer with Knowles BAs. If you search in twitter you will see some pics from japanese buyers and they are identical.
Apparently my version was some early version which used Sonion BA units and new version is different in tuning. I don't know to be honest.
I can say that Linsoul Shuoer and current Aliexpress OEM are exactly the same. However if you search Shuoer EJ07 on Taobao you will find a little different version which I've got.
I don't know if there was an issue with getting access to Sonion BAs or new tuning is better or something else but apparently my sample is one of a kind and cannot be bought right now.
I wonder how the new sample sounds though.

I digged a little deeper and apparently my unit has Sonion 2389 and it has only one BA unit inside each shell - mine looks exactly like this:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a21wu.10013406.0.0.689f72e9MHrue3&id=599538199302

However, new ones seem to be with Knowles and has 2 BAs. Apparently factory sent me some initial sample. I don't know if new samples are improved or if production costs are cut but Balanced Armature parts are different, crossover is different and dampfer tuning is different.

You can't get my version anyways though so no reason to care about it I guess. New version always comes with Knowles Dual Ba no matter how you name it.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #825 of 3,872
Thanks LMka - that's very interesting. Any idea when the switch over to knowles BA for st7 started? The store on ae I bought from asked if I wanted my ST7 (ordered 11/11) with green or black faceplates at one point (as they didn't have stock of the green for a brief period), so presume it'll be newer version with knowles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back