Shuoer impressions thread
Nov 27, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #601 of 3,872
Hi Q Mass. You have a nice collection yourself! Can I ask, what model Lambdas do you have and what do you think of them?

To answer your question, the best IEM I have heard before the Tapes will have to be the Tin HiFi T2's, followed by Beyerdynamic Byron.

My source for the Tapes when I am on the go is just my phone, Google Pixel 2 XL, with a USB C to 3.5mm adapter connecting the Tapes to my phone. It sounds great and gives me more volume than I need. I noticed that the volume stays the same when I switch from Tin HiFi T2's to the Shuoer Tapes, so they are not hard to drive.

When I am at home, sitting in from of my computer, my source is JDS Labs Atom headphone amplifier and a SMSL Sanskrit 6th DAC. I feel like the bass has more slam when listening to this setup on the Tapes, but honestly, it could just be the placebo effect setting in.

The first "good/Hi-Fi" IEM I used were Beyerdynamic DTX80. I had them for a couple of years, until they stopped working. Then I got myself a pair of SoundMagic E10. I was also really happy with them and used them for a couple of years as well. Then I got the itch to try something else and bought the Beyerdynamic Byron. I prefered my old SoundMagic E10, so didn't use the Byron a lot. Then one day I forgot my SoundMagic E10 at my parents place, so for a week I only used my Beyerdynamic Byron, and when I finally got my E10's back, I prefered the Byrons and kept using them until around 6 months ago when they stopped working. Unfortunately the Byrons were discontinued, so I couldn't buy them again. Then I bought the Beyerdynamic Soul Byrd, which Beyerdynamic made to replace the Byrons, however I didn't get on with their sound and bought the Tin HiFi T2's instead, which I have been using until I got the Tapes yesterday.
Thanks for your further thoughts on the Tape.
The more I read, the more I want to hear them.
So I don't drift off-topic for too long, all I'll say about my Lambda's (SR's, powered via a SRD 7 non-pro energizer fed by a parasound z-amp V3) is that although I love them, they aren't my prferred sound sig', and I often reach for my Denon D2000's instead, even though the Stax are clearly the more accomplished headphone.
I listen to almost anything (caveat, not much Jazz or classical, no K-pop etc), but most of it is studio recorded, lots of electronic, lots of hip-hop, plenty of rock and some metal which I feel all benefit from strong bass and a bit of warmth.
I also listen to modern composers, singer-songwriter and other stuff which benefits more from the detail, clarity and nimble articulation the Stax provides though.

Hence my interest in the Tapes.
They sound like they are good all-rounder which do well at both ends of the spectrum (literally and musically).
I was concerned that the mids and vocals might be left behind in the Tapes, but enough folk have said that they perform well there that I'm not so doubtful now.
I'm only considering moving on from my CIEM TF10's due to them being very long in the tooth now (despite meticulous care and cleaning they are starting to look nasty around the sound tubes in the canal portion of the shell) and I suspect/hope that budget-fi (which is all I can afford nowadays) has caught up with my set-up.

I will miss the custom fit though, it's SO much better than any ear-tip fit I've ever achieved, both in comfort and isolation.
Seriously, no contest, not even close.
Custom shelling even improved the mids of the TF10's (how much of that is due to the added DD though is impossible to say).
If I manage to get a set of Tapes, I plan to make myself some custom tip/shells, which should be interesting.

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #602 of 3,872
Today got the delivery of both Shuoer Tape and Tin T4 and after listening to Tape for few hours I am truly amazed at the detail retrieval, bass slam and details to die for cant believe it was only 100$ I paid on 11/11, now I dont even want to open T4 they are still sitting sealed and I am wondering what additional improvement they can bring. I had/have SE846, DM6, Tin P1, Blon-03 , Tape truly blows all of them out of water.

Dang! I also ordered the Shuoer and T4 at the same time, but only the Tape arrived, no T4. Did your stuff arrive in one package or separate packaging?

At least I have the Tape to play with and yes I'm quite impressed with it also. Beautiful detail and nice dose of bass and sub bass when it's there.

Nov 27, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #603 of 3,872
I bought Tape today, and I’ll receive tomorrow.

Should I buy a better cable?
Any difference between Kinbofi and **** 8 core silver plated copper?

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #604 of 3,872
Today got the delivery of both Shuoer Tape and Tin T4 and after listening to Tape for few hours I am truly amazed at the detail retrieval, bass slam and details to die for cant believe it was only 100$ I paid on 11/11, now I dont even want to open T4 they are still sitting sealed and I am wondering what additional improvement they can bring. I had/have SE846, DM6, Tin P1, Blon-03 , Tape truly blows all of them out of water.

I've had both Rolands and Tapes for a while now, and TBH, Roland is another league.

Not to say i dont like Tapes! They are part of my roster, and the absolute BEST for electronic and pop music.

BUT, the extra 800$ is totally worth it imo.

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #606 of 3,872
Nope, it is different. BL03 bass is more punchy, T4 isn't.
T4 uppermid is also shouty. Not in this case with BL03

Ohhh nooo, I can't deal w/ shouty upper mids! Was sort of considering picking up a pair of T4 for comparison to the Tape and ikko OH10, but think I'll pass...

Tape continues to improve for me. It's right up there with how much I enjoy the OH10, and things have definitely opened up with some hours on the drivers. I'm running my Tapes balanced out of my WM1A, which is a very nice match with the Tapes' hyper detailed & slightly dry nature.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #610 of 3,872
I bought Tape today, and I’ll receive tomorrow.

Should I buy a better cable?
Any difference between Kinbofi and **** 8 core silver plated copper?
So you choose the Tape :D Gratz, the stock cable is quite good tho, and I don't suggest using silver-plated copper, either pure copper or pure silver :D SPC's experiences were all poor for me :frowning2:

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #611 of 3,872
In this forum we are talking about earphones not luxury cars.
But I am sure a 380BHP Yaris WRC Toyota out-performs any Bentley on any Rally track.

Abyss headphones are terribly painful to wear and totally overrated.
Expensive yes; Sound quality? OK.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #612 of 3,872
Nobody take the plunge on the EJ07 yet?

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #613 of 3,872
In this forum we are talking about earphones not luxury cars.
But I am sure a 380BHP Yaris WRC Toyota out-performs any Bentley on any Rally track.

Abyss headphones are terribly painful to wear and totally overrated.
Expensive yes; Sound quality? OK.

Well, my example might not have been the best, since you didn't get the idea.

Whats your favorite sounding pair of headphones/iems? The one you can listen to for hours and hours, and not gonna ever sell?

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #614 of 3,872
upload_2019-11-27_22-22-42.png

Loved the Tape, although it still retains some artificial, "cheap" ChiFi sound and a lil shouty upper mid, good p/p no doubt.

Agree with @Marshole, 1000$ IEMs are still on a different league.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #615 of 3,872
So you choose the Tape :D Gratz, the stock cable is quite good tho, and I don't suggest using silver-plated copper, either pure copper or pure silver :D SPC's experiences were all poor for me :frowning2:

Have to agree with this - I just tried a 8 core silver/copper Trn cable. It was very clear how much of a downgrade in the quality of the sound was compared to the Stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back