Shuoer impressions thread
Nov 28, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #631 of 3,872
I just found out I’m being sent a pair of Tapes and a nice cable with a right angle 3.5 connector on it. Early December they are due, I’ll be back with pics etc after they arrive.

Whats the biggest issue with the Tapes? Is it quality control or bad driver ....?? I’m trying not to read all 43 pages...can anyone summarize for me? Tell me what to look out for....thanks in advance!

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #632 of 3,872
I just found out I’m being sent a pair of Tapes and a nice cable with a right angle 3.5 connector on it. Early December they are due, I’ll be back with pics etc after they arrive.

Whats the biggest issue with the Tapes? Is it quality control or bad driver ....?? I’m trying not to read all 43 pages...can anyone summarize for me? Tell me what to look out for....thanks in advance!

For my experience.

The driver seems to get a channel imbalance kind of effect. Where one side seems quieter.

But it does not stem from quality control, because it happens later.

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #633 of 3,872
Thats not entirely true. Most of Shure's lineup is MMCX. Westone aswell. Even Ultimate Ears Pro CIEMS uses the IPX50 (T2) standard which is basically a customized MMCX connector.

I like 2 pin the most aswell, but i see why MMCX has become such a massive standard. If it is high quality, it is just as durable, BUT there are no chance of pins breaking. You always have the chance of pins breaking inside the IEM with 2 pin.
I prefer MMCX, too. With memory cable portion.

Need to talk? Pause, schloop it out, swivel it up, talk. RUN if needed. The memory cable ensures security.
When conversation ends? Swivel back down, push in, unpause. Done. Readjustment? Unnecessary. Already secure.

I can never do that with my ASG-1Plus or any other unswivelable, 2-pins. It has to be removed completely, otherwise it's just asking for drops and accidental stomps. Just precariously hanging there...threatening, mocking me. Daring the disturbances in the force to unhook and drop it.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #634 of 3,872
20191128_140534.jpg

it has arrived! I've only listened to it for a few songs and compared it to my other IEMs. so far so good.

my unit has a tight MMCX, no turning, and has a solid click. i did find the first time i inserted it, i have to position it nicely first before clicking it in.

sound is good so far. treble is a bit intense, but not EX1000 "15 minutes top" type intense. it reminds me to the PP8 in soundstage spread and the thin-ness of the mids.. i have to find a friend's unit to compare and verify. bass is ample and punchy, isolation is good.

so far the only tips that i find good sounding are wide bores: the JVC spiral dots++ and a no name generic one that can go flush with the nozzle

edit: i found a narrow nozzle that is great with this: KZ starlines. also reduces the warmth on the bass and make the mids jumps a bit forward and clearer

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #635 of 3,872

it has arrived! I've only listened to it for a few songs and compared it to my other IEMs. so far so good.

my unit has a tight MMCX, no turning, and has a solid click. i did find the first time i inserted it, i have to position it nicely first before clicking it in.

sound is good so far. treble is a bit intense, but not EX1000 "15 minutes top" type intense. it reminds me to the PP8 in soundstage spread and the thin-ness of the mids.. i have to find a friend's unit to compare and verify. bass is ample and punchy, isolation is good.

so far the only tips that i find good sounding are wide bores: the JVC spiral dots++ and a no name generic one that can go flush with the nozzle

edit: i found a narrow nozzle that is great with this: KZ starlines. also reduces the warmth on the bass and make the mids jumps a bit forward and clearer

Hmm odd, my Filterless EX1000 is not as fatigue to listen to as Tape, it has peak at 5k instead of 3k of shuoer and fairly balanced tuning

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #636 of 3,872
Hmm odd, my Filterless EX1000 is not as fatigue to listen to as Tape, it has peak at 5k instead of 3k of shuoer and fairly balanced tuning

Maybe we have different frequency peak tolerance? My friend lent me his ex1000 unit to try because i was interested to buy it for collection (his unit was stock with no modification). I found the sound is really balanced and nice, but the really high treble is just grating my ears.. i could only listened to it 10 to 15 minutes max.

A couple of months ago i tried another unit in Japan, figure i should give it another chance..but the treble still bites my ears.

This Shuoer, i have been listening for a full playlist worth of songs, and i don't have fatigue problems with the trebles (not yet, at least :ksc75smile: )

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #637 of 3,872
For my experience.

The driver seems to get a channel imbalance kind of effect. Where one side seems quieter.

But it does not stem from quality control, because it happens later.

This. Some have had no issues at all, others have one side go quiet, some have had issues with the mmcx connector being too loose.

My tapes started getting channel imbalance after a few hours listening out of the box, with the left, then both sides going very quiet. After a few hours rest they went back to normal. This happened each time until now the left side is always considerably quieter than the right. I'd recommend buying them from amazon if you do get them, for ease of returning them if needed.

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #638 of 3,872
This. Some have had no issues at all, others have one side go quiet, some have had issues with the mmcx connector being too loose.

My tapes started getting channel imbalance after a few hours listening out of the box, with the left, then both sides going very quiet. After a few hours rest they went back to normal. This happened each time until now the left side is always considerably quieter than the right. I'd recommend buying them from amazon if you do get them, for ease of returning them if needed.

I only use Tape for a maximum of 1.5 hours per session and I haven't experienced any issues now, maybe I got a good set :D Will report if there are any issues.

Nov 28, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #639 of 3,872

Maybe we have different frequency peak tolerance? My friend lent me his ex1000 unit to try because i was interested to buy it for collection (his unit was stock with no modification). I found the sound is really balanced and nice, but the really high treble is just grating my ears.. i could only listened to it 10 to 15 minutes max.

A couple of months ago i tried another unit in Japan, figure i should give it another chance..but the treble still bites my ears.

This Shuoer, i have been listening for a full playlist worth of songs, and i don't have fatigue problems with the trebles (not yet, at least :ksc75smile: )

EX1000 do have peaks, a little bit on 6khz and another one on 8khz but they are dampened. Yeah different people have different frequency sensitivity. For me, I cant stand 3khz peak (shouty), but I can handle 8khz peak (sparkles) better than 6khz (sibilance) or 12khz (tizzy)

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #640 of 3,872
For those of you that got the Tape and returned it due to the QC issues, what iem are you looking at now? I am researching so that IF...IFFFFFF my Tape dies I can find something else that is similar to them.

And also what are your plans for black friday? I am kinda interested in either the Bqeyz Spring 1 or LZ A6 mini.

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #641 of 3,872
For those of you that got the Tape and returned it due to the QC issues, what iem are you looking at now? I am researching so that IF...IFFFFFF my Tape dies I can find something else that is similar to them.

And also what are your plans for black friday? I am kinda interested in either the Bqeyz Spring 1 or LZ A6 mini.

As far as i am concerned, there is no other IEM that can compete with the Tapes as far as detail and speed goes, in this price range.

The only others that come to mind is the Sonion EST hybrids, but i think the cheapest are 700$. From the OEM rebrand that 'must not be named' .

Nov 28, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #642 of 3,872

Spring1 sounds dull in comparison with Tape, worse fit and details, but the sound is definitely easier to listen to. LZ A6 is quite good, though the treble can also be fatigue to listen to, dunno about the mini version tho.

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #643 of 3,872
Spring1 sounds dull in comparison with Tape, worse fit and details, but the sound is definitely easier to listen to. LZ A6 is quite good, though the treble can also be fatigue to listen to, dunno about the mini version tho.

how do you compare the A6 to the Tape on SQ? also which one do you prefer? I'm eyeing on the A6, but if it has juat the same ballpark SQ to the Tape, I'm going to pass on it

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #644 of 3,872
Shuoer Tape is like the girl of your dreams (superb details, sub bass, smooth mids, depth, etc.) Lets call her "ST".

Your friends are telling you, ST is easy to get (affordable price). Granted ST can sometimes be kind of a bitch (4kish peak) but hey, nobody is perfect and she has everything you are looking for.

Your other friends are telling you ST is all that but MAY quarrel with you (MMCX connector) or even dump you hard (driver death).

So what to do?

Well you only live once so I took the risk and hope ST wont leave me. Until then, I will enjoy every GLORIOUS MOMENT with her.

One week, 14 hours, 4k - 1.8db, no issues, pure enjoyment.

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #645 of 3,872

I also asked around after my Tape failed, but didn't find an answer. And from all the iems/cans that i heard so far myself, none of those could really compete (none had that detail retrial, instrument separation and "just the right" bass that i was looking for).
I guess the tape is really special in this regard, especially if you only looking in sub 500$ segment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back