SHP8500 Appreciation Thread
Jun 3, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #16 of 26
Alright. To be serious, double click about an inch to the right of the title. A box to edit the title should appear.

I see you made an Amazon review.
BTW, I'm AMAZING at oragami.

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everytime you buy a new headphone you start a thread proclaiming it as by far the best you've tried and saying it could likely be the best headphone you've ever heard. I can recall, off the top of my head, you doing this for the DT 770 pro, HD280, HD380, this phillips headphone and I'm sure a few others.

You forgot the DT150!

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #18 of 26
Jun 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright. To be serious, double click about an inch to the right of the title. A box to edit the title should appear.

I see you made an Amazon review.
BTW, I'm AMAZING at oragami.

Thank you, that worked.

I only got a little way into origami before giving it up, but the Amazon nickname stuck.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is with the new sudden bloom of forum trolls in here?

Not aware of any trolls so far. If I happen to see one, I will let you know!

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksween93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sir, need to find something better to do with your time because you are a waste of bandwidth. Chances are if you bought $15 cans from Best Buy, they aren't that great.

Philips used to make good-sounding headphones like the HP910 and HP890. So it's not unthinkable that this one sounds ok as well, despite the low cost.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #24 of 26
I just spent 2 days shopping around for headphones, listened to more than a dozen models from around 6 different shops, and even some that my friends had bought... I heard the Beyer Dynamic DT770 PRO, Sennheiser RS110 (which were pretty good, except I opted not to go for it because I didn't want any interference hiss - even if slight). I heard the Bose variety of Quiet Comfort Models at their store (in which the sounds were positively spaced "outside" of the headphones... it was uncannily wonderful), also the Denon AHP-P372, and more.

Finally, as a last resort, I ended up checking the Philips SHP 8500 - they were just wonderful. They were neither muddy nor tingy, but "full" in every way, exactly what I wanted in low-range. I think I spent 10 hours over the weekend just looking around testing headphones, and by the end the SHP8500 is the only one that stood out.

One thing though, I was really looking forward to checking out the Sennheiser HD201 as I'd heard such good stuff about it, but never was able to find it available for a whirl. Both that and the HD202 are available for purchase online though, would be great if anyone has heard both SHP 8500 and the HD201, and could share which they preferred?

Or even if you were to compare the SHP8500 to the JVC HA-RX700 (which I've heard loads about but haven't been able to test), which would you recommend?
Thanks.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #25 of 26
An update, just got a chance to hear the Sennheiser HD201 today and compare it to the Philips SHP8500. The HD201 was vibrating in my ears, it has great bass, but I found the bass to overwhelm the rest a little. I still preferred the SHP8500, although it's a close call between the two and largely amounts to preference in how one wants their music to sound.

All of this is of course before they have been burnt in, but these are initial impressions.

Since I've been avidly researching both these models for the past few days, I think I'll get both and test them out.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #26 of 26
I have a pair of these Philips headphones and I have a question. When I move my head even slightly, I hear a creaking sound. What do you think it is, and how can I fix it? I use them mostly for movies, and otherwise they sound very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back