Shozy Zero IEMs
May 23, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #889 of 1,545
Really? I'm not a big believer in burn in either, I've never noticed much of a difference. That was one of their stipulations for review though. Plus from the others in this thread, it makes a significant difference. Guess we will see.

May 23, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #890 of 1,545
Really? I'm not a big believer in burn in either, I've never noticed much of a difference. That was one of their stipulations for review though. Plus from the others in this thread, it makes a significant difference. Guess we will see.

May also has somewhat to do with the sources being used to drive the IEM. Really have no qualms with this IEM. If it improves more or not I am a happy camper with its sound vs what I paid. 

May 23, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #891 of 1,545

I believe in burn in. However, the Zero are the first iems I own that truly sounded great the moment I plugged them in the mojo! 
I usually find peaks in the highs and loose bass until burned in settle things down... so,  if Zero get even better with time, it's going to be very very sweet!

May 23, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #894 of 1,545
  I am gonna be honest and say I heard no improvement in sound with burn in. In fact my first pair sounds bassier than when I first got it. So is that reverse burn in? 

Actually RedJohn different IEMs might also exhibit different characteristics when burning in. For example I can see it very possible for an IEM to become more bassy with burn in or an IEM where the bass may become more controlled with usage. It depends on the IEM, how it was designed etc.

In the instance with the Shozy I have been quite happy with it from day 1. Maybe the signature might have smoothed out a bit, mids would be more apparent on this (lush). Ultimately for me though, if I don't have any issue with the frequency response I'm a happy camper. Halsey's "Haunting" & "Color" are awesome on the Shozy :).

May 24, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #895 of 1,545
Strange, I didn`t like the sound or fit of the Zero`s with spiral dots, mine sounded a bit congested and kept falling out of my ears, stock tips and generic 400 size tips sound fine however.

Also regarding burn-in I actually have two Zero`s, one is as fully-burnt-in as it could possible be, probably has 350 hours on it or more, whilst the second set has about 250 hrs by now. My second Zero is a lot bassier, always has been, and I don`t recall my first set ever being that bass heavy. The rest of the spectrum sounds very similar however. I`m writing up a comparison article on my blog, hopefully they`ll sound similar once my second set reaches about the same time. It would be interesting if anyone else is experiencing similar changes, the bass emphasis is mainly in the sub-bass btw. 

Regardless, big fan of the Zero (at least my first set), they have a pleasing tonality and surprising clarity and detail. Also the cherry wood reminds me of the JVC FX range (which I`m also a big fan of), keep up the good work Shozy, Looking forwards to receiving my Cygnus! 
ksc75smile.gif

*I will note that I have contacted Shozy and they assure me that there is no unit variation, nor have they had any cases reported apart from mine. I`m not really a believer in burn-in but Shozy have stated that these sound changes are achieved through a form of proprietary technology that the rep couldn`t share. Will be interesting to see a teardown if someone ever has cable issues down the road. 

May 24, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #897 of 1,545

Shozy Zero on Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon and Schiit Modi2Uber

Another day and again - deeply impressed by their tonality and overall sound quality. I think Shozy is really on to something big here....

Let's see, whipping out the K10U and JVC HA-FX850 later for a duel.

May 24, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #898 of 1,545
  burn in is a myth

Get an Yggy, and get back to us... :wink:

Actually "no burn-in" is a myth. Like many things audio, those who've never experienced or otherwise perceived a specific effect (differences between DACs, amps, changes in sound performance following a specific period of continuous use aka burn-in, etc.) will swear by graves that this is a "myth, damn it!". Those who did experience this first hand will know better. Personally I had experienced burn-in by comparing a pair of two-weeks used headphones vs a brand new one, so whenever someone pops out and solemnly proclaims "burn in is a myth" I tend to smile and roll my eyes cause it's nonsense...

May 24, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #899 of 1,545
Except as with many things in audio, the fact that somebody "experienced something first-hand" is no guarantee that that "something" actually exists...

I have “personally experienced" many mythical audio phenomena--burn-in, drastic differences between source / amp components with no measurable difference, etc. but know better when there are solid non-mythical explanations for each phenomenon (e.g. variation in *your own hearing* on different days, psychological expectations, variations in earphone placement, impedance mismatch...)

It's been pointed out many times that sample variation among the same model of headphones and even differences in how you placed the headphones on the head each time produces far more measurable sonic variation than burn in has been found to produce.

One known phenomenon that does produce a lot of difference in how full-size headphones sound over time is the fact that their earpads deflate and flatten with use, changing the shape and size of the enclosed acoustic chamber.

Now if Shozy had deliberately designed these IEMs to change sound with burn-in, I suppose that's a different matter and I suppose there are ways of making it happen if you insist on it as a design feature...

Quote:

burn in is a myth

Get an Yggy, and get back to us...
wink.gif

Actually "no burn-in" is a myth. Like many things audio, those who've never experienced or otherwise perceived a specific effect (differences between DACs, amps, changes in sound performance following a specific period of continuous use aka burn-in, etc.) will swear by graves that this is a "myth, damn it!". Those who did experience this first hand will know better. Personally I had experienced burn-in by comparing a pair of two-weeks used headphones vs a brand new one, so whenever someone pops out and solemnly proclaims "burn in is a myth" I tend to smile and roll my eyes cause it's nonsense...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 24, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #900 of 1,545
Except as with many things in audio, the fact that somebody "experienced something first-hand" is no guarantee that that "something" actually exists...

No, of course not, there may be alternative explanations. But how often do you employ this scientific reasoning with regards to non high-end audio gear that we regularly encounter in our daily lives? Have you ever looked into psychological and other effects when driving two models of cars? Say, a Honda compared a Maserati? So is "experiencing something first-hand" between two different cars also no guarantee that "something" actually exists there? Maybe there are carphools out there as well... Or is perhaps this obsession with "scientific proof, damn it!" somehow consigned exclusively to high-end audio, for some reason... I mean, how many digital cameras, phones, TVs, laptops, keyboards, cars, apartments or planes have you DBT'ed in your life before feeling the need to DBT audio gear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back