Shozy Form 1.4
Feb 7, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #46 of 103
I was really hoping to hop on the 25% off deal on the 1.4, but given BGGA's backpedaling on the set and the fact that there aren't any more impressions online, I think I'm going to hold off for a bit. FYI: Linsoul has the same deal as Penon right now, lasts until tomorrow.

I've also been kind of considering the 1.1s if they happen to be a better value. Are they good with detail retrieval and would you say they get sibilant at all? Since you say you listen to Hip Hop, I notice songs like Nas' "NY State of Mind" and 50 Cent's "In My Hood" (first verse of both tracks) can get pretty harsh on my DM6s. I'm holding on to those regardless for my Jazz music as it plays that back beautifully, but I want something that's a bit more forgiving with more vocal-centric music, as a listen to a lot of Hip Hop that isn't mixed the greatest.

Im not sure about detail retrieval as I don’t have anything to compare to like the tapes, but for those tracks your talking about,
In my hood: 50’s s’s do get a little hard, but not painful, sounds a little sibilant but it’s still tolerable.
NY state of mind: Better than in my hood, still hits hard but less than 50, but also sounds like those treble hits are in the recordings. Whilst something like acid raindrops, people under the stairs, tribe, biggie, 2 pac all sound great. There are some 2 pac tracks that get a little hard hitting in the hi end. But don’t judge the bass straight outta the box, it took about 30 hrs but then the bottom end just became really snappy, in mid bass and smooth in sub bass. Haven’t noticed any difference in the top end but I’m not sure BA are something that ‘burns’ in

Feb 7, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #47 of 103
Im not sure about detail retrieval as I don’t have anything to compare to like the tapes, but for those tracks your talking about,
In my hood: 50’s s’s do get a little hard, but not painful, sounds a little sibilant but it’s still tolerable.
NY state of mind: Better than in my hood, still hits hard but less than 50, but also sounds like those treble hits are in the recordings. Whilst something like acid raindrops, people under the stairs, tribe, biggie, 2 pac all sound great. There are some 2 pac tracks that get a little hard hitting in the hi end. But don’t judge the bass straight outta the box, it took about 30 hrs but then the bottom end just became really snappy, in mid bass and smooth in sub bass. Haven’t noticed any difference in the top end but I’m not sure BA are something that ‘burns’ in

Appreciate you investigating. :pray: Yea, a lot of it is definitely baked into the recordings, that's why I'm trying to find something that does a better job of handling certain records in comparison to my DM6s so my ears don't start bleeding from the piercing vocals :sweat_smile: (Dre's Compton album is awful in this regard, especially "Medicine Man." It's almost embarrassing considering his pedigree). Trying to find that balance of good, clean sound without sacrificing too much in terms of micro-details. My T2s almost hit the sweet spot, but they've never been extremely comfortable fit-wise for long periods. I'll probably lurk in this thread and see what happens with the 1.4, might end up biting on the 1.1 just to check myself. Thanks again.

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #48 of 103
I’m interested in hearing/reading about 1.1 vs 1.4..... I don’t own any Shozy iems yet and 1.1 I can easily afford.......anybody know the make of BA in the Shozy?

Feb 8, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #49 of 103
I took the chance with 1.4’s mainly for the fact that their graph seemed so similar to the dunu 3001 and the reviews it got were awesome, going from kz zs10pro to bl-03 i found I really missed the bass of the Zs10pro, but of course the bl-03 were more comfy in general. Hoping not to get buyers remorse... considering shozy seem to have a reputation for creating very good iems for their price, i think I’m safe

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #50 of 103
I was really hoping to hop on the 25% off deal on the 1.4, but given BGGA's backpedaling on the set and the fact that there aren't any more impressions online, I think I'm going to hold off for a bit. FYI: Linsoul has the same deal as Penon right now, lasts un

I've also been kind of considering the 1.1s if they happen to be a better value. Are they good with detail retrieval and would you say they get sibilant at all? Since you say you listen to Hip Hop, I notice songs like Nas' "NY State of Mind" and 50 Cent's "In My Hood" (first verse of both tracks) can get pretty harsh on my DM6s. I'm holding on to those regardless for my Jazz music as it plays that back beautifully, but I want something that's a bit more forgiving with more vocal-centric music, as a listen to a lot of Hip Hop that isn't mixed the greatest.

I can say now that I’ve tried to Blon 03 and the Shozy 1.1 for those recordings, the blons have a much more relaxed treble and those 2 tracks are very tolerable and more enjoyable. The mids are a bit more recessed than the 1.1 and the bass bleeds from the mid bass into the sub bass giving it the sensation of being more 1 sound than the separation you get for the 1.1. I didn’t have any problem with fit and switched out the Blon stock tips and cable (16 thread silver coated) the Blon’s sound stage is very wide, it feels like the vocals come in from just outside your ears and things happen at a distance from your head, whilst the 1.1 the soundstage starts more in your head and then goes out to the sides. I would rec the Blons for the sibilant tracks like NY state of mind or In my hood and if you want a soundstage that sounds outside your head, the bass is a little messy and not as refined but still amazing for the price. The 1.1 are great, I would say better than the Blon for most things except sibilant tracks, if you want a tighter more cohesive sound, more balanced and separation in the mids but if your treble sensitive, it can get harsh on these, tracks that don’t tweak those frequencies sound Great and better than the blons, but the soundstage is a different experience, if you don’t like the music in your head than don’t get the 1.1.

If the 1.4 has a similar bass response to the 1.1 which I love, but fixes the treble to be more relaxed I’d be very happy.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #51 of 103
My Mini Review of the Shozy 1.4 and my comparisons w the Fiio FH7 and Shuor tape and my memory of the Rai penta
I paid $200 for the shozy 1.4 but I know many paid $150 on drop. FH7 was $450, Tape $130 and Penta $1100 (ouch)
The shozy are lite, small and the case is functional and the cable is usable. The FH7 is big, heavy and bulky, the shuoer are similar size but a non traditional shape which may feel like a smaller andromada in th ear, and the Penta are small and unbelievably well made and beautiful (should be for the price). The penta case while nicer than the 1.4, is an odd shape and didnt hold my fiio m6.
Sound wise the 1.4 have the deepest and most impactful bass. The penta are at the bottom of the category and are so neutral they sound boring. The Tapes are second on my favorite list for bass and then the Fiio.
Mids are boosted on the FH7 alot and make them sound a bit odd compared to the others. The Penta mids do sound very nice and more natural. The Tapes are middle of the road and fit within the lows and highs nicely. The 1.4 seem to have nice mids, and may actually be very neutral in that they dont bring any attention to them. I will say on certain songs like Monday morning by FWM and come together by beatles, the impact of the heavy bass in these songs were a bit much on the 1.4 and bled into the mids unlike the other 3. But as far as my favorite for bass its the 1.4. Just sounds good, elevated, but not sloppy. The mids on the Penta are fantastic but the bass is so non existent it isnt my thing. The FH7 bass is more balanced but the mids are too in your face. The shuoer are a bit behind in the mids, they are good but when I AB them with the others I feel they are lacking a little
Now the highs. The shuoer is my least favorite as i think it is not as detailed. High hats seem to be muted, this is in comparison to the others. When all i was listening to was the Shuoers i never realized it. The Penta highs are even worse. So rolled off to not offend they are boring. The FH7 have nice sparkly highs that extend over from their in your face mids. The Shozy highs are very nice. They have a sparkle to them and are never ever peaky or shrill. I will say that the shozy do not do well when over powered. W a balanced connection on my AK sr15 they seem great until i turn the volume up and they are less pleasant.
In the end for the price (if you paid $150) I would take the shozy. I keep the Tapes, but the cable is terrible and i just dont see me using them if i have the 1.4's. The Penta were sent back, the FH7 were sold.
Might sell the Tapes but for the $130 they are still very good.
I paid the full$200 and dont regret it. Yes I wish I paid the $150, but then again linsol sent them to me 3 weeks ago so ive been enjoying them rather than waiting 2 months.
Hope this helps anyone on the fence
Mostly with Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Neal Young, Dave mathews in terms of testing. Some Rand B like Angie Stone, but mostly old rock. All sounded very good to me. Ive used the 1.4 due to ability and size in place of my Pioneer SE mOnitor 5's over ears. They still rule but I look like an Ass wearing those in public! lol

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #52 of 103
My Mini Review of the Shozy 1.4 and my comparisons w the Fiio FH7 and Shuor tape and my memory of the Rai penta
I paid $200 for the shozy 1.4 but I know many paid $150 on drop. FH7 was $450, Tape $130 and Penta $1100 (ouch)
The shozy are lite, small and the case is functional and the cable is usable. The FH7 is big, heavy and bulky, the shuoer are similar size but a non traditional shape which may feel like a smaller andromada in th ear, and the Penta are small and unbelievably well made and beautiful (should be for the price). The penta case while nicer than the 1.4, is an odd shape and didnt hold my fiio m6.
Sound wise the 1.4 have the deepest and most impactful bass. The penta are at the bottom of the category and are so neutral they sound boring. The Tapes are second on my favorite list for bass and then the Fiio.
Mids are boosted on the FH7 alot and make them sound a bit odd compared to the others. The Penta mids do sound very nice and more natural. The Tapes are middle of the road and fit within the lows and highs nicely. The 1.4 seem to have nice mids, and may actually be very neutral in that they dont bring any attention to them. I will say on certain songs like Monday morning by FWM and come together by beatles, the impact of the heavy bass in these songs were a bit much on the 1.4 and bled into the mids unlike the other 3. But as far as my favorite for bass its the 1.4. Just sounds good, elevated, but not sloppy. The mids on the Penta are fantastic but the bass is so non existent it isnt my thing. The FH7 bass is more balanced but the mids are too in your face. The shuoer are a bit behind in the mids, they are good but when I AB them with the others I feel they are lacking a little
Now the highs. The shuoer is my least favorite as i think it is not as detailed. High hats seem to be muted, this is in comparison to the others. When all i was listening to was the Shuoers i never realized it. The Penta highs are even worse. So rolled off to not offend they are boring. The FH7 have nice sparkly highs that extend over from their in your face mids. The Shozy highs are very nice. They have a sparkle to them and are never ever peaky or shrill. I will say that the shozy do not do well when over powered. W a balanced connection on my AK sr15 they seem great until i turn the volume up and they are less pleasant.
In the end for the price (if you paid $150) I would take the shozy. I keep the Tapes, but the cable is terrible and i just dont see me using them if i have the 1.4's. The Penta were sent back, the FH7 were sold.
Might sell the Tapes but for the $130 they are still very good.
I paid the full$200 and dont regret it. Yes I wish I paid the $150, but then again linsol sent them to me 3 weeks ago so ive been enjoying them rather than waiting 2 months.
Hope this helps anyone on the fence
Mostly with Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Neal Young, Dave mathews in terms of testing. Some Rand B like Angie Stone, but mostly old rock. All sounded very good to me. Ive used the 1.4 due to ability and size in place of my Pioneer SE mOnitor 5's over ears. They still rule but I look like an Ass wearing those in public! lol
Will wait for my Shozy 1.1 and I see how it goes from there.

Feb 11, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #55 of 103
Will wait for my Shozy 1.1 and I see how it goes from there.
Isn't that 1 DD and 1BA so not really in same leauge? As far as 4BA 1 DD go these are very good. Borderline great. There is a law of diminished returns of cout but I've tried $2000 items and $30. The $2000 sound better for many reasons. But not 50xbetter. The 1.4 for $150-200, in my opinion are a perfect balance of performance vs price. I've owned several CA, senns, Shure, EE, UE, 64, and some were very impressive but I gave up and went chifi. Price vs performance. And the blons to me were worth the $40 I spent but no more. The fearless F8 were $500 and I sold them as they were overpriced for what they were The 1.4 I'd pay more for but thankfully didn't have to.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #56 of 103
Recieved my set a day or so ago from penon. I've got to say I'm really impressed. I have no reason to pick up either my bl-03 or zs10 pro. Solid impactful bass... even if it's slightly too elevated in some tracks for my taste. Awesome resolution and as far a sound stage goes, i don't really have anything wide to compare them to, but for me it's pretty comfy. Definately worth $150 from what I can tell.

I forgot to mention the fit.... it's best fitting IEM I have used. Mine are paired with a set of misodiko tws-pro, very similar in shape to the stock silicone tip.

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #57 of 103
I just posted my Form 1.4 review for anyone interested. It's a decent set but I think the 1.1 is definitely where the value is at.

Shzoy Form 1.4_11.jpg

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #58 of 103
Nice review. Interesting to see your graph being different to bggar. Notably that 7k peak, seems much higher than his.
See the poor quality screen grab.
also... I’m really not sold only these being genuine wood xd my partner makes jewellery that looks identical to this and she does it with paints and alcohol.

Attachments

• 20529435-FF7E-48AE-85C8-D8F6A4531EE1.jpeg
    20529435-FF7E-48AE-85C8-D8F6A4531EE1.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 22, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #59 of 103
Nice review. Interesting to see your graph being different to bggar. Notably that 7k peak, seems much higher than his.
See the poor quality screen grab.
also... I’m really not sold only these being genuine wood xd my partner makes jewellery that looks identical to this and she does it with paints and alcohol.
That's an interesting graph indeed because I actually referenced the DK-3001 Pro while I was writing my review. They sound nothing alike: not even close in tonality or technical performance.

Shozy Form 1.4 vs DK-3001 Pro.png

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #60 of 103
XD very interesting indeed.
Seems like my basis for purchase is questionable. (Not that I’m complaining, I’m still, although maybe ignorantly so, happy with my purchase)
I actually found another graph that looks more similar to yours.
thanks for yours.

Ps. A note on the face plate. Pebeo prism paints are what she uses. What do you think? Is it comparable?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back