Show us your vintage headphones!
Mar 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #751 of 3,128
Quote:
I have some Onkyo H-03A, can't find any information on them.
Pads are the velour from Fa-003.  I checked the drivers and can't seem to remove them. Last but not the least they have ridiculous impedance of 8.  It's very tough to drive them too.  :
confused_face_2.gif

Probably generic 60mm 8 ohm paper cone speakers. 8 ohms is actually very little resistance - but these need some juice to sing - they're more like little loudspeakers, and are therefore quite insensitive.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #752 of 3,128
Quote:
I have some Onkyo H-03A, can't find any information on them.

Pads are the velour from Fa-003.  I checked the drivers and can't seem to remove them. Last but not the least they have ridiculous impedance of 8.  It's very tough to drive them too.  :
confused_face_2.gif

You have a lot to learn, my friend. 8 ohms is incredibly low.

Given the size of this headphone I'm guessing they have paper cone drivers, which would make the sensitivity of them incredibly low.

Oh dear, GREQ beat me to it. Lulz.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #754 of 3,128
Quote:
 I didn't know they had paper cone driver headphones...

Almost ALL big plastic cup headphones with coat-hanger wire headbands with beefy rubber or fake leather padding from the 70's have variants of paper cone drivers.

The best ones I've ever heard were a Sony DR-7 as their paper drivers are 70mm, and are less bloated in the high-bass mids. Nothing so special, but they can take quite A LOT of EQ'ing before any distortion. 
Paper always has a very liquid smooth but wooly sound. Very smooth easy listening if you've got patience with an EQ. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #755 of 3,128
What I meant was the 8 ohms is very very low.  A lot of amps have impedance which is 5x of that.

LCD2 has 32 ohms but still needs a decent amp to "sing".

It seems likely to be a paper-cone the driver inside looks more like a tweeter than a headphone driver.  It lacks bass and I did some mods by putting fiber inside of it.  The shrill sound has been gone but it still does not sound nice at all for my ears.  I think that amp pairing is needed for this one.

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #757 of 3,128
Quote:
Here is a NAD Model 16, produced in 1975. Looks fantastic IMO, has insane build quality, and sounds pretty decent. Its an open (maybe semi-open) dynamic headphone with 59 mm drivers (!!!).

Omg those look amazing.. are those yours? and where'd you land those at?

Man.. all these modern headphone design engineers just need to look at the past for design inspiration.. instead of copying one horrible product.

Nearly all the vintage phones in this thread look outstanding. I even ordered a PRO4AA recently for it's 10,000 leagues appeal.. XD

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #758 of 3,128
Quote:
Quote:
Here is a NAD Model 16, produced in 1975. Looks fantastic IMO, has insane build quality, and sounds pretty decent. Its an open (maybe semi-open) dynamic headphone with 59 mm drivers (!!!).

Omg those look amazing.. are those yours? and where'd you land those at?

Man.. all these modern headphone design engineers just need to look at the past for design inspiration.. instead of copying one horrible product.

Nearly all the vintage phones in this thread look outstanding. I even ordered a PRO4AA recently for it's 10,000 leagues appeal.. XD

I'dve gone with one of the 4AAAs that are up, they're comparable to many current production headphones. The 4AA is decent, but the 4AAA takes everything wrong with the 4AA and throws it out the window. Its very smooth, expansive, and detailed.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #763 of 3,128
Quote:
Quote:
So jealous.

No reason to be, the Z5 are the same breed of awesomeness!

Mainly jealous because the cable shorts finally caught up to me. That's the last time I trust a vintage headphone cable. 

Anyone got a spare Y-type cable? I need a temporary replacement until I can order some copper wire.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #764 of 3,128
Unscrew the TRS housing and check for corrosion. If you have a white wire you'll see some blue coloration if that is the case, then you can simply cut that back an inch or two to clean copper and resolder the plug, helps if you can apply a tiny bit of Deoxit on the exposed wire also after. I had that happen with some old Koss, as well as more recent orthos.
 Worth checking before you throw out the cable, it is frustrating though.

Some of that old copper wire is tragic almost like woven hair, but then again some is excellent

All this Z5/6/7 talk has me interested look ahead of thier time in a sense.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #765 of 3,128
Quote:
I'dve gone with one of the 4AAAs that are up, they're comparable to many current production headphones. The 4AA is decent, but the 4AAA takes everything wrong with the 4AA and throws it out the window. Its very smooth, expansive, and detailed.

BUT.. what happened to the vintage sex appeal? =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back