Show us your vintage headphones!
Sep 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #391 of 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you look closely it's quite clear these are orthos. (click on image for enlargement)

I would really love to crack these open and play with the damping around the drivers because the mids and high bass are much too forward and shouty which drowns out the nice subtle but precise highs, and makes the bass seem very bloated and unrefined - which is far from the truth. 

If I make quite a deep 'U' shape EQ from around 100Hz sloping gently up to 1000KHz (to flatten the fairly monstrous hump in the sound) everything becomes clear and more present and the soundstage clears up nicely.
The mids are not as present or detailed as my Yamaha HP-3, but overall I think there is a huge amount of potential. The deep bass and lower extension is just as good as my HP-3 and the highs are similarly smooth and non fatiguing. It's not an instant classic, but without damping and a decent EQ these produce a good sound... I just wish they were actually bearable to wear 
biggrin.gif
 my Grados are refreshingly comfortable in comparison. They clamp the ears quite badly... fortunately I've got small ears and a few years of experience with Grados so I'm not too bothered.

Great info!

But God I have to stop looking at '70s orthos.. I want them aaaaaalllll

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #392 of 3,129
Sep 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #394 of 3,129
Quote:

If you look closely it's quite clear these are orthos. (click on image for enlargement)

I would really love to crack these open and play with the damping around the drivers because the mids and high bass are much too forward and shouty which drowns out the nice subtle but precise highs, and makes the bass seem very bloated and unrefined - which is far from the truth. 

If I make quite a deep 'U' shape EQ from around 100Hz sloping gently up to 1000KHz (to flatten the fairly monstrous hump in the sound) everything becomes clear and more present and the soundstage clears up nicely.
The mids are not as present or detailed as my Yamaha HP-3, but overall I think there is a huge amount of potential. The deep bass and lower extension is just as good as my HP-3 and the highs are similarly smooth and non fatiguing. It's not an instant classic, but without damping and a decent EQ these produce a good sound... I just wish they were actually bearable to wear 
biggrin.gif
 my Grados are refreshingly comfortable in comparison. They clamp the ears quite badly... fortunately I've got small ears and a few years of experience with Grados so I'm not too bothered.

I have never seen any orthodynamic similar to that phone. I am not convinced that it's an orthodynamic from the picture - even though it doesnt rule it out.
To be sure, you have to get it open so that you can see the entire driver :)

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #395 of 3,129
Quote:
Won it on ebay this summer.
I will try to write mini-review about some vintage Beyers (880S, 990(x2), 911, 931, revox 3100) soon.
wink.gif

That would be a cool review - and even better if the ET 1000 were in there as well. Not sure where I read it, but someone somewhere said the vintage DT 990 were designed in their time to be electrostatic-like dynamics. Would be cool to know how Beyer's own stats sounded in comparison.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #397 of 3,129
Originally Posted by GREQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

Hmm...now that I look closer it could be a piezo...

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #398 of 3,129
Quote:
Hmm...now that I look closer it could be a piezo...

How can I find out if it's a piezoelectric driver? I've done a quick search on here and the googlez, but there are practically no significant images of piezoelectric drivers... in fact I've barely even heard of them.

Is the difference between an ortho and a piezo quite drastic? I'm intrigued.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #399 of 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How can I find out if it's a piezoelectric driver? I've done a quick search on here and the googlez, but there are practically no significant images of piezoelectric drivers... in fact I've barely even heard of them.

Is the difference between an ortho and a piezo quite drastic? I'm intrigued.

They are nothing alike. Piezoelectric drivers use a thin diaphragm covered with a high-polymer piezoelectric film. When charge is applied to the diaphragm, it moves. Its a totally magnet-less design. 

It requires a HUGE amount of input power. Pioneer recommended driving their piezo cans right out of a receiver's stereo taps. Their impedance is technically infinite and their sensitivity is around 100 dB/30V. Note the SPL units. It's not dB/mW like most. In other words, the sensitivity of this headphone is about 30 dB/mW. Most headphones are around 100 dB/mW. That's really inefficient.

So, if they're really, really quiet out of say an iPod or laptop, they're likely piezoelectric.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #400 of 3,129
[/quote]
That would be a cool review - and even better if the ET 1000 were in there as well. Not sure where I read it, but someone somewhere said the vintage DT 990 were designed in their time to be electrostatic-like dynamics. Would be cool to know how Beyer's own stats sounded in comparison.

I didn't hear ET1000, I've seen it on ebay this year (http://www.ebay.de/itm/Beyerdynamic-ET-1000-Beyerdynamic-N-1000-/350530503033?pt=Kopfh%C3%B6rer&hash=item519d3f0179). DT880S reminds me some Stax Lambda 'phones (like 303, 407, 507). old DT990, on other hand, kind of 'fun' headphone (more bass, less air..., but treble more smooth & soft comparing to treble of Beyer T1/T90).
Good! Tell us what the present praise of the 911 and 931 is all about, they were not considered superior when introduced.

I don't own 911, will try to hear at home rig, if my friend didn't sell them yet.
as far as I understood, 931 & 911 sounds quite differently. 931 is more analytical/cold than 911, while 911 has much more midrange body.

I will try to write mini-review after two weeks (didn't know what's headphones to choose as a "competitors" - LCD2 is hardly to compare with old beyers, T1/HD800/HE6 probably?).

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #401 of 3,129
you could probably see the baffle screws if you carefully peeled back the pad edges, might even be able to unscrew them without taking the pads off :)

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #402 of 3,129
Quote:
DT880S reminds me some Stax Lambda 'phones (like 303, 407, 507). old DT990, on other hand, kind of 'fun' headphone (more bass, less air..., but treble more smooth & soft comparing to treble of Beyer T1/T90).

I quite like the treble on the vintage DT 990. So far the only electrostats I've heard have been the electret tweeters on the AKG K 340, and I thought the treble on those was somewhat comparable in sparkle to the old DT 990.

I wonder what kind of pads you have on the DT 990? I can see in the pictures that the 880 pads are in quite good condition at least.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #403 of 3,129

Here's my vintage set! An original AKG K141 Monitor! Apparently these had the Sextett drivers? I don't even care if they do or not because they sound pretty darn good. The best part? Made somewhere between 1970- late 1980s and I'm the first owner as of last year. Yep, these have been in storage for ALL those years believe it or not and they are practically NEW. Obviously 1970 and 1980 is a long time ago and despite that, it is in perfect working condition. The earpads are a bit torn due to age and I had to replace the foam disk because it melted with age LOL. I have a feeling the elastic band is going to go soon and I would really like to re-cable this into dual entry on both sides. Original box and owners manual as I included. Price? $40 on ebay. Best under $50 purchase I made in my life. They require quite a lot of amping, but they sound very very good, better than today's K141.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #404 of 3,129
yeah they are a great headphone. One thing to check is the foam interiors which by now will have deteriorated also. I know mine were shot. Also I assume you checked to make sure there was no foam on the driver. ( I carefully vaccumed that out )
Mine were graciously( and hesitantly ) gifted to a friend to get them back into listening to music, and boy did it ever work!
At least I still have the baby version the 140 vented version which I think also uses the same drivers.

That set you have there is friggin gorgeous looking and for that price, it was a steal. Also the box and info pamphlet got to love that!

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #405 of 3,129
Quote:
They are nothing alike. Piezoelectric drivers use a thin diaphragm covered with a high-polymer piezoelectric film. When charge is applied to the diaphragm, it moves. Its a totally magnet-less design. 

It requires a HUGE amount of input power. Pioneer recommended driving their piezo cans right out of a receiver's stereo taps. Their impedance is technically infinite and their sensitivity is around 100 dB/30V. Note the SPL units. It's not dB/mW like most. In other words, the sensitivity of this headphone is about 30 dB/mW. Most headphones are around 100 dB/mW. That's really inefficient.

So, if they're really, really quiet out of say an iPod or laptop, they're likely piezoelectric.

Dude, I was reading up on piezoelectric drivers, it's actually like a crystal that reacts with electricity. THESE HEADPHONES ARE POWERED BY ALCHEMY AND VOODOO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back