Show us your vintage headphones!
Jul 5, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #211 of 3,147
Back on post 76, I posted a pic of a similar headphone with the transformers in the ear cups.  I also have an AT-705 that a previous owner must have broken the plug on because it's reterminated with a TRS plug and the jack on the transformer box has a TRS jack.  If an amp has enough juice, it can be played directly from an headphone jack.  I tried it on an old NAD integrated amp.  The amp has a soft clip feature and I was hoping to make it clip but it didn't.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #212 of 3,147

Quote:
Electrostatic
biggrin.gif
Thin panels,etc

So it's irregularly shaped?

Speaking of irregularly shaped, has anyone found an ECR800 yet? Spritzer has an ECR600 right?

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #213 of 3,147

Quote:
So it's irregularly shaped?

Speaking of irregularly shaped, has anyone found an ECR800 yet? Spritzer has an ECR600 right?

You already found these

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #214 of 3,147
Yeah the irregular shaped cups. It makes you wonder if they even made an attempt at a working prototype for these to see about fit. They don't pivot on the horizontal just the vertical as far as I can tell from pictures and comments elsewhere.  Also I have always found the square top with the round pad thing to be an odd and goofy looking design. Something just wrong about that look.

Scompton the AT-705 is one of my favorite cans. The sound is awesome. Those AcCuTex ST1000 look like they might sound pretty good. Does it scramble your brainwaves with the transformers right there?  Accutex made some high end Receivers back in the day, unless I am thinking of Accuphase.  I'll look.  Found the receivers are Accuphase also a found a speaker for sale from Accutex though, maybe the ACCU was a prefix for the rest of their stuff including those phones. I'll post if I find out.

DID THOSE ECR-500's sell??????????? drool

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #215 of 3,147
The Accutex had rolled of lows and highs that were typical of 70s headphones.  The mids were nice.  The comfort was horrible, mainly because the foam in the pads had rotted.    The pads were lumpy until I slit a seam to pour out the powder that had been foam.  After that, the pads were just 2 pieces of leather and didn't work that well.

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #216 of 3,147

Quote:
You already found these

I almost bought them. IIRC, he offered them at $15, but didn't have the energizer, so I passed (I had no way of finding out if they actually worked) and he tried to sell them on the Bay but nobody bought them. I have the guy's email I should try to ask again.

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #217 of 3,147

Quote:

I almost bought them. IIRC, he offered them at $15, but didn't have the energizer, so I passed (I had no way of finding out if they actually worked) and he tried to sell them on the Bay but nobody bought them. I have the guy's email I should try to ask again.

What happens if you find the energizer, but the guys headphones sold
basshead.gif

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #218 of 3,147

Quote:
What happens if you find the energizer, but the guys headphones sold
basshead.gif

Dammit. Actually, I found a similar energizer a while back, but the guy wanted like $20 or something. Then again, that's probably a good deal...$40ish for the ECR500 system...dammit.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #219 of 3,147
ooohhh nooo that's not good. The two components are bound to show up sooner or later. What a drag. Grab whatever you can when you can.  But that's just me.

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #220 of 3,147

Quote:
Dammit. Actually, I found a similar energizer a while back, but the guy wanted like $20 or something. Then again, that's probably a good deal...$40ish for the ECR500 system...dammit.

To me $40 would be a steal, but you never find these! But how do you know if it's a good deal when they are never up for sale
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #222 of 3,147

Quote:
To me $40 would be a steal, but you never find these! But how do you know if it's a good deal when they are never up for sale
confused_face_2.gif

If a rare electret costs as much as a dinner with a ladyfriend, it's a good deal.

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #223 of 3,147

Quote:

If a rare electret costs as much as a dinner with a ladyfriend, it's a good deal.

rolleyes.gif
I spend more than $40, if its only 2 people probably $80 or so.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #224 of 3,147

Restored and modified (very) vintage Sterling Mk3's. . .  amazing to go out with around your neck! 
smile.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #225 of 3,147

Quote:

I just got these RARE Phillips N6325 Electrets from a fellow Head-fi member yesterday ( in transit now ). Look mint and they run off a 1/4" jack! See the lump on the cable. That's the transformer. I think these may be the only ones ( model ) they ever made
This is the picture he had for them. I really want to see how they work off my Cowon D2 for occasional portable use, but they look too nice for that.
I'd never forgive myself if I got bombed by a seagull with these on.
eek.gif
It's been known to happen around here from time to time.

The transformer in the cable will REALLY hold back those drivers.  Much better off recabling them for Stax and using your SRD6.  Still not ideal, but better than loosing the upper highs and lower 3 octaves.  I have a Kenwood branded electret with Phillips drivers and the built in trafos are bigger than your cable ones and the lower two octaves are gone...  I don't think a protable will have anywhere near the voltage input needed to remotely drive those electrets. 

Quote:

Restored and modified (very) vintage Sterling Mk3's. . .  amazing to go out with around your neck! 
smile.gif

Very, very nice.  Love the look. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back