Show us your vintage headphones!
May 7, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #16 of 3,130
Sansui ss-20. 2 way headphone. has volume and tone controls on each cup. they really are volume for woofer and tweeter controls. these actually sound very nice, better than most vintage cans i've heard and comparable to mid range modern cans. the build quality is nice on these. Sansui supposedly made nice stuff

May 7, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #17 of 3,130
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have an interest in older headphones and have picked up several from here and ebay. so lets post up some pics and a few comments for fun and info..

Sonic pro 90
got these off ebay. small on ear design. zero info, tho i found a clone by realistic (german brochure on Faust's wikiphonia site). 2 speakers in each cup, 20-22k. 1983 ish. the sound is very bassy, ok mids, surprisingly better than expected, not comfy

I think I saw that a few years ago...

http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com/bu...ow-profile.JPG

(picture isn't displaying for some reason so i've linked)

The smaller driver puts out such a little amount of sound that the 2-way description is basically fraudulent. They were meh, but worth the couple of quid they cost.

May 7, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #18 of 3,130
Enjoy watching your vintage headsets though i dont have one..ahehe
jecklinsmile.gif
atsmile.gif

May 24, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #20 of 3,130
this is a superex. discovered this rooting around wikiphonia. early 70s or late 60s. supposedly higher end for the time. sound is decent when amped. has a little of that distant paper cone sound but not much. seems well built. very small soundstage -these basically project the sound into your skull

May 31, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #25 of 3,130
i surprised nobody has posted up the very common pioneers yet. here's an se305 i just got. late 70s. uses a 'real' speaker as opposed to paper cone. the 205 used a paper cone, the 405 was a 305+volume controls, the 505 was a 2-way design. these large things are actually supra-aural! sound is very decent, smooth, flat response. doesnt go as high or low as new mid-fi cans but is superior to the old koss pro4aa. not quite as nice as the sansui ss-20 posted above

May 31, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #26 of 3,130
i written about these b4. stanton dynaphase sixty. the epitome of american 'bigger is better' thinking. these are the ultimate unwieldy musclecar of headphones. large, heavy (2 pounds), dual speakers with crossovers in each cup. plug it into a weak source and they sound like junk. amp it up, feed it bass, and they shine. will pound your brain into mush if desired, unlimited bass capability. i eq'd up to 20 db of extra bass end into these and they just kept on going!

May 31, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #27 of 3,130
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
se305 i just got. late 70s. uses a 'real' speaker as opposed to paper cone. the 205 used a paper cone, the 405

Please explain, what's the difference between a "real speaker" and a paper cone. As far as i'm aware most dynamic speakers use paper or plastic cones.

May 31, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #30 of 3,130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please explain, what's the difference between a "real speaker" and a paper cone. As far as i'm aware most dynamic speakers use paper or plastic cones.

by 'real' i just meant not paper. uses a modern type small speaker as opposed to a giant paper cone. this one is polyester

Users who are viewing this thread

Back