Show us your vintage headphones!
Jan 18, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #2,311 of 3,129
Ok, a few words about TDS-16-40 Echo.
I got three pairs of these locally, all of them sealed in plastic and boxed. I had a chance to pick the pairs i wanted and I selected those with softer cable insulation and not entirely "deflated" pads.
I tried replacing the pads with modern soft leather foam filled cushions and the results were sad, the headphone lost all the character, drive and bass.
After a series of experiments with different materials I realized the only way to keep that peculiar sound with its bizarre charm was to keep using the original pads. They were flat and wrinkled and tough to the ears, so I tried filling them up with different types of foam and I always failed to get the sound i wanted. Finally I figured a way to restore the stock pads without losing that very special sound signature.

I bought a soft transparent plastic tube (the kind you'd find in a shower hose or whatever you call it). I cut it lengthwise, then I made a circular cut in the back of the pads, opened them, took the remains of the old foam out and inserted one half of the tube along the outer perimeter of the original pads and another one along the inner perimeter, filling these halves with foam and leaving some air between these halves. The soft plastic is soft enough not to hurt the ear but strong enough to raise the pads' surface to the design height.
Unscientific it may seem, the result was to my complete satisfaction, both in terms of sound and in terms of comfort.

I also experimented with different damping materials in the cups and settled with keeping the stock foam discs (which are in good shape, really) adding 1 mm felt discs on top of them on the plastic cups' side.

I don't know If anyone would want to do all these weird manipulations but it really worked for me, for all I know.

The sound of this headphone is rather balanced now, with punchy bass, attractive mids and rather extended treble. The music has a lot of air to it, too, and the drive is fantastic.

Suffice to say I sold my Audeze LCD 2 Classic, posh, comfy, precise, detailed and all that happy stuff but just boring in comparison with TDS and Yamahas. None of the statements and allegations above intend to serve as recommendations, instructions, advertisement or anything but my truly humble opinion and kinky listening tastes.

Here are some pics:

p.s. The headband is terrible imitation leather, rigid and crooked after all these years. I cut a length of soft leather belt and clipped to the underside of the original band. Very comfortable and soft, doesn't change the original looks.

_3.jpg _5.jpg _6.jpg

Attachments

• _3.jpg
    _3.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
  • _4.jpg
    _4.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 0
  • _5.jpg
    _5.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 0
  • _6.jpg
    _6.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
  • _7.jpg
    _7.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #2,312 of 3,129
Ok, a few words about TDS-16-40 Echo.
I got three pairs of these locally, all of them sealed in plastic and boxed. I had a chance to pick the pairs i wanted and I selected those with softer cable insulation and not entirely "deflated" pads.
I tried replacing the pads with modern soft leather foam filled cushions and the results were sad, the headphone lost all the character, drive and bass.
After a series of experiments with different materials I realized the only way to keep that peculiar sound with its bizarre charm was to keep using the original pads. They were flat and wrinkled and tough to the ears, so I tried filling them up with different types of foam and I always failed to get the sound i wanted. Finally I figured a way to restore the stock pads without losing that very special sound signature.

I bought a soft transparent plastic tube (the kind you'd find in a shower hose or whatever you call it). I cut it lengthwise, then I made a circular cut in the back of the pads, opened them, took the remains of the old foam out and inserted one half of the tube along the outer perimeter of the original pads and another one along the inner perimeter, filling these halves with foam and leaving some air between these halves. The soft plastic is soft enough not to hurt the ear but strong enough to raise the pads' surface to the design height.
Unscientific it may seem, the result was to my complete satisfaction, both in terms of sound and in terms of comfort.

I also experimented with different damping materials in the cups and settled with keeping the stock foam discs (which are in good shape, really) adding 1 mm felt discs on top of them on the plastic cups' side.

I don't know If anyone would want to do all these weird manipulations but it really worked for me, for all I know.

The sound of this headphone is rather balanced now, with punchy bass, attractive mids and rather extended treble. The music has a lot of air to it, too, and the drive is fantastic.

Suffice to say I sold my Audeze LCD 2 Classic, posh, comfy, precise, detailed and all that happy stuff but just boring in comparison with TDS and Yamahas. None of the statements and allegations above intend to serve as recommendations, instructions, advertisement or anything but my truly humble opinion and kinky listening tastes.

Here are some pics:

p.s. The headband is terrible imitation leather, rigid and crooked after all these years. I cut a length of soft leather belt and clipped to the underside of the original band. Very comfortable and soft, doesn't change the original looks.

My first re-foamed headphones
Bought 2 and destroy one because the screw fall inside the magnet and damage the membrane.
Without the material inside the cans it sound better!
I put on the drivers, on they top some magnet for magnet mod, now removed it for better sound, the original magnets got stronger
u9MyOXt.jpg

J4Fru8O.jpg

*Too lazy to continue the sleeve mod :disappointed_relieved:

This headphones still sold as old-new stock, In really dry condition for the headband and the pads :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2,317 of 3,129
Searching for the most cheap planar (for collection and try how this type hear).
Suggestions ?
Consistently the cheapest planars I've seen are those rectangular ones with SFI drivers.
I've seen them under the brand names Universum, Maeden Sound, Note, Palladium and Watson, but the Watsons usually go for more because they've got tone controls and look cooler.

Also Yamaha HP-3's usually go cheap, and the Hok-80 (not the version 2 which is more sought after).

There's good reason these are cheap, mainly because they can't even compete with modern earbuds half their price.

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #2,318 of 3,129
I'd think for vintage planer options with fair performance for the price... a Realistic Pro-30, Fostex T20 v1, Yamaha HP1. A apart from having some peak of the performance of orthodynamic headphones, I think all three have value as design objects. Maybe not as flat out pretty as the Sansui posted earlier, yet each of the ones I've mentioned as industrial designs are notable in their own way. Your location, luck, and the headphones condition may pay a large part in at what price you might end up paying.

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #2,319 of 3,129
So many a moon ago, I used to collect some vintage headphones, looking for that elusive 'diamond in the rough'. I went into the attic the other day and found some of my boxes of oldies but goldies...

Here are some of the highlights.... many more to come, this was just 1 of about 6 boxes :)

Porsche designed Yamaha's YHL-006...
IMG_20190202_090008.jpg
Very stylish!

Some NAD05's, as bassy as the NAD16's, but in a very strange 80's rest on the head design...
IMG_20190202_090057.jpg
Not convinced about this design tbh, although it does work (I doubt it could stand much 'head-bang-in', they would fly off across the room).

For the AKG Electrostatic/Dynamic fans here... (K4 left, K145 right)
IMG_20190202_091420.jpg

Not seen another K4 anywhere, and the only one which I saw images of (wikifonia) had a completely different box design?

And here are some strange ones...
IMG_20190202_091309.jpg

For those not familiar, boots is a pharmacy in the UK! I never knew they made headphones, obviously rebranded OEM's but I have never seen this design/style before? Has anyone else?

What happened to Wikifonia?

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #2,320 of 3,129
For those not familiar, boots is a pharmacy in the UK! I never knew they made headphones, obviously rebranded OEM's but I have never seen this design/style before? Has anyone else?

What happened to Wikifonia?
Wikifonia is toast... been down for over 2 years. You can still find some info left on 'waybackmachine' - a website that has some historic snapshots of 'the internet', but most of the info is lost even there.

I've seen a few headphones under the Boots name but never this one before... I've also seen a few vintage 'WHSmith' OEMs too.

Those Yamahas are GORGEOUS! *__*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back