Show us your vintage headphones!
Dec 5, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,787 of 3,128
Always happy to see those old industrial designs... so much can be done with a piece of brushed metal and a drill aesthetics wise. Brilliant.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #1,790 of 3,128
One I've been meaning to get ahold of yet still haven't. :/

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #1,793 of 3,128
Hey, 

By best vintage earphones, which are the others you compared with? Sony had the MDR series later, do you count them in? :)

By best I mean of course the sound signature that is most suited to my taste and to my music. And that's just my humble opinion. I forgot it's always risky to use the word "best" to qualify something here on the forums :wink:

I haven't tried the MDR series actually. The DR-15 is my only Sony headphone.

I compared it to my other vintage headphones. That includes Audio-Technica ATH-0.1 and ATH-2, Elega DR-232CH and DR-247C, Pioneer SE-L40 SE-L401 and SE-50, Sennheiser HD414, Koss pro4AAA...

Most of these have what I would call a typical vintage sound: low clarity, light lows, rolled off highs, veiled? Not sure really how to describe it. They're fun to listen to from time to time but the sound is nothing exceptionnal.

The DR-15 on the other hand is more clear and has good lower end body. It sounds sharper overall. Its sound signature is closer to what you would expect from a modern headphone (when compared with the others mentionned above of course). The simple fact that it has greater clarity makes it easier to listen to for longer periods of time and I'm even surprised sometimes by the quality of the bass on modern electronic music, something this headphone was probably not designed for.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #1,794 of 3,128
Hi, 

Thanks for the detailed answer! :) 
I have some from the MDR series which are not just as good as recent headphones, but I think they are actually better than most.
The MDR-51, MDR-62, MDR-64, MDR-M44 are fantastic earphones. Basically I am interested in order to even consider buying anything from Sony
before the MDR era. I compared the 51 and the 62 to an ATH MSR7, and while the MSR7 seems more dznamic because of it's closed design, the
Sonzs are more laid back, analogue-like; far better imho.
God I wish I found these MDR Sonys AIWA counterparts, the HP-T and HP-X series, they're must be outstanding.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,799 of 3,128
  MrTechAgent, since you're more experienced in ERGOs : Did you ever changed the foams? Mine disintegrated and I was looking for a solution (cheap) to have new ones in place.

I'm using them without the foams, mine disintegrated as well. 
I don't think the foams make any difference to the sound, finding the "ideal spot" seems to be the only essential factor. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back