Show us your vintage headphones!
Oct 6, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #1,771 of 3,128
  Does anyone have suggestions on carefully removing foam from the baffle of headphones? I am reworking some AKG K240 Monitors I got off ebay with new pads, recabling and new elastics. But the old foam is dissolved onto the baffle. Should I just very carefully pick the stuff off with tweezers in the holes in from of the driver and then carefully scrub off the rest or?

Also the fiber paper over the baffle on the left cup was in bad shape. Anyone know what this is and where to get replacement material?

Start with a rocket blower (a thing photographers use to blow dust and debris off their lenses) or something similar.
Don't use compressed air, that could destroy the driver. 

Then use tweezers to get the larger parts out - BUT USE PLASTIC TWEEZERS - if you use metal, the driver magnet will pull the tweezers out of your hands and squash the diaphragm.

I'd then use any off-the-shelf 'sticky-stuff' remover to get rid of the rest.

Not sure what would make a good replacement for the vent material.
Going down the DIY route you could start by trying out microporous tape (first aid kit tape).
Then try coffee filters. Paper hand towels. Stockings.... Just anything porous you can think of really.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #1,773 of 3,128

Beyerdynamic DT660 (600Ohm). 
To my knowledge this is the MK1, there is literally ZERO information about this little **** on the Internet. 

There have been three DT660s, 
MKl, the MKll and the Edition. 

After restoration - 

Earpad used is the EDT770VB and the Article - 956409 for the Headband Strap. 
Original Headband strap is similar to the DT880S from the period, the Cable Assy is similar to the 21st CE DT4E. 
Very rare example, I wish there was more info on it cause I got nothing else. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #1,774 of 3,128
Nov 6, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #1,775 of 3,128
my second TDS16..yes, i like it very much. was worrying that i might not be able to find a replacement if my first one one day fails...

build quality...cant say much...we all know how russian economy failed...

in terms of sound...clean and precise...being a semi-open, its soundstage is reasonable, vocal is excellent.

at the back of the photo is philips sbc 3165...i changed the earcup to something that is thick and dense...surprisingly, sound became more balanced...bass is now rich but not bassy...very acceptable and listenable

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #1,776 of 3,128

Beyerdynamic DT770 600ohm 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #1,777 of 3,128
  Hey guys, I need some help with the Unipolar 2002 and HER2000, I just got mine in and noticed something wrong with the HER2000, the Loudspeaker-Headphone push-button seems to be broken but it doesn't feel like, oddly enough the gain buttons work which is peculiar as you would expect them to be broken as well. 
I still can't test the System as my Speaker Amplifier is still in transit but learning that the button might be broken was kind of upsetting. 

Thanks. 

Sennheiser HiFi-Demo Unipolar 2000

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,781 of 3,128
I just received some vintage Koss headphones that I'm hoping to get more info on.

They're labeled "Koss 600" but nothing seems to come up when searching for that model. Perhaps they were a prototype? (My granddad who I got the headphones from would review audio equipment)

Here's a link to a screenshot:
http://imgur.com/a/UtN8Q

The other issue is that the left ear has much lower volume and distorts when bassy music is played through. I wanted to try to fix it, but couldn't find a way to open it up. What would you guys recommend?

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,783 of 3,128
  I just received some vintage Koss headphones that I'm hoping to get more info on.

They're labeled "Koss 600" but nothing seems to come up when searching for that model. Perhaps they were a prototype? (My granddad who I got the headphones from would review audio equipment)

Here's a link to a screenshot:
http://imgur.com/a/UtN8Q

The other issue is that the left ear has much lower volume and distorts when bassy music is played through. I wanted to try to fix it, but couldn't find a way to open it up. What would you guys recommend?

Looks like an old PRO 4 model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back