Show us your vintage headphones!
Aug 2, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #1,291 of 3,130
^ Do they originally come with fabric pads or is that the result of deteriorated coating over the years? Pics on a box or catalog? Curious.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #1,293 of 3,130
Here are my vintage headphones, nothing rare however ^^ 

Yamaha YH-100 (modded with J$ earpads)

70a0e209ae49506730179f17cc1c835cafa7ea91.jpg

Yamaha YP-1
216831454a290ed16e75da55c0254ad27643ea0c.jpg

My best headphone is my Fostex T50rp fully modded (custom mod inspired by Rastapants V2) :D

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #1,294 of 3,130
  Here's my latest contribution.

The Yamaha YH-1 and YHD-1.

EDIT: I stuck a TDS-5M headband onto the YH-1 because the stock one was really messed up.

Bucket!! nice you scored a YHD >__<

Man the YH-1 is nearly indistinguishable from a TDS-5M now! lol
(yes yes they aren't indistinguishable before someone tries to prod me)

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #1,295 of 3,130

Bucket!! nice you scored a YHD >__<

Man the YH-1 is nearly indistinguishable from a TDS-5M now! lol
(yes yes they aren't indistinguishable before someone tries to prod me)

The drivers are wonderful little things! The actual shell they came in isn't so great though.

Haha my dad was like, "wait what I thought they broke how are you using them?"
Then I showed him the headband 
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #1,296 of 3,130
  The drivers are wonderful little things! The actual shell they came in isn't so great though.

Haha my dad was like, "wait what I thought they broke how are you using them?"
Then I showed him the headband 
biggrin.gif

Haha yeah that headband is technically "broken" xD
Was going to snatch that one up but forgot about it at least second lol. Glad it got into good hands :p

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #1,297 of 3,130
  Haha yeah that headband is technically "broken" xD
Was going to snatch that one up but forgot about it at least second lol. Glad it got into good hands :p

Amen to that. The seller told me that it was in horrible condition so I received the YH-1 without a headband.
I bought it from the same seller that had the YH-1 actually, he had won the initial auction and didn't like it so I PMed him and worked out a deal.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,298 of 3,130
  Amen to that. The seller told me that it was in horrible condition so I received the YH-1 without a headband.
I bought it from the same seller that had the YH-1 actually, he had won the initial auction and didn't like it so I PMed him and worked out a deal.

Well I believe the HP/YH-1/2 often come with cracked headband (the plastic edges). I got pretty lucky with my HP-1 which was completely in perfect condition, while my YH-1 has one crack. You don't feel it though, it just doesn't keep its shape as nicely when you take it off your head.

On the other hand the YHD-1... think it would be easy to cook up a new headband for it? post some pictures of where it's supposed to be connected!
From the fleabay pictures I've seen before it looks glued on but yeah maybe...

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #1,299 of 3,130
  Well I believe the HP/YH-1/2 often come with cracked headband (the plastic edges). I got pretty lucky with my HP-1 which was completely in perfect condition, while my YH-1 has one crack. You don't feel it though, it just doesn't keep its shape as nicely when you take it off your head.

On the other hand the YHD-1... think it would be easy to cook up a new headband for it? post some pictures of where it's supposed to be connected!
From the fleabay pictures I've seen before it looks glued on but yeah maybe...

I would imagine that it was cracked and that the fabric was kinda ruined too but I'll never know!

Hmm, I removed the drivers from the YHD-1 shell already but I think it'll be fairly easy as the headband was just glued on. The original one rotted off so I removed the residual glue from the attachment point so a simple leather strap glued on will probably work.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #1,301 of 3,130
Realistic is a Radio Shack brand.
they  outsourced things to Koss, etc.
Those are MONSTERS.
Sound impressions? ( hope they aren't hardened vinyl pads but for $5 who can complain
wink.gif
  )

Hey Bucketinabucket ( hahah great name like some sort of moebius loop ) did you search through the Ortho Roundup thread for actual pad alternatives of the YHD series? Ifrogz Toxix seem to be a good search within that thread.
 I'll be looking for some myself to harvest.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #1,302 of 3,130
Found these Realistic Nova 16 buried at a thrift shop today and snagged em for $5( I couldn't pass up those sweet volume sliders!). I don't know how vintage they are though, never heard of the brand. Google searches haven't yielded much info.Any one here know what I bought ?

Pics below
http://nickelplant.imgur.com/all/

I think that since they were made in Korea,they precede the outsourcing to Koss.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,303 of 3,130

Found these Realistic Nova 16 buried at a thrift shop today and snagged em for $5( I couldn't pass up those sweet volume sliders!). I don't know how vintage they are though, never heard of the brand. Google searches haven't yielded much info.Any one here know what I bought ?

Pics below
http://nickelplant.imgur.com/all/

I think that since they were made in Korea,they precede the outsourcing to Koss.

Those are a Sony DR-9 or DR-7 OEM if I'm not mistaken. Paper cone drivers, but they actually sound quite nice; nothing special but relatively flat, smooth, etc. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #1,304 of 3,130
 Sound impressions?

Not bad,  they don't  beat my mod-ed fostex's though . Disclaimer I have had them for less then 24 hours but initial impression is uncomfortable as hell, bad seal, but decent crisp mid . They also have a different tone then I'm used to I need some more time with em I think(Flat isn't a bad way to describe it). Closing thoughts,  few modifications might prove beneficial,  mostly for the comfort problem
biggrin.gif

If they do precede the out sourcing do you know what year of manufacturer they might be ( roughly )?

Those are a Sony DR-9 or DR-7 OEM if I'm not mistaken

I think your right, just found some pics of a DR-9 with the same badass volume sliders...now I want to open them up to confirm if the drivers are the same but....I don't see any good way to open them

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,305 of 3,130

If they do precede the out sourcing do you know what year of manufacturer they might be ( roughly )?

Those are a Sony DR-9 or DR-7 OEM if I'm not mistaken. Paper cone drivers, but they actually sound quite nice; nothing special but relatively flat, smooth, etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back