Show us your vintage headphones!
Jul 27, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #1,277 of 3,130
Quick foam mod on my Nova44, self adhesive foam-rubber pieces from the dollar store:

Did a comparison between my Ultrasone pro 750. Results? I don't like my Ultrasone anymore, these $6 headphones Kill it. The Ultrasone sounds thin, harsh and flat. The Nova44 is a great can to rock out to! Spent hours listening to Rob Zombie, System of a Down, Otep and others.

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #1,278 of 3,130
If you want the vented cups shoot me a PM I can send them to you, should mount up exactly the same. have them left over from a transplant. Such a nice wide sound when opened up, but not heard the closed version at all.

Tempting...
I'll give these a good listen this week and if I feel I could use the extra soundstage I may get back to you on that.

"Under the influence" is a very bad thing for random browsing, very dangerous.

I somehow managed to take those photos and photoshop them, so I can't have been too far gone 
tongue.gif
 (but the missus would probably disagree 
evil_smiley.gif
)

short answer=paper coned, but that doesn't mean they suck necessarily, look at all the vintage speakers that use paper cones that are excellent.
 Wondering about modding them with the paper treatment liquid coating they sell for speaker cones... If I recall correctly it is reasonable cheap.

True. The cheap and often overlooked Sony DR-7 also performs well for a very cheap paper cone driver. They're around 70-75mm diaphragms... certainly nothing that will blow you away in terms of resolution or anything... they just don't totally suck like most paper cone clones.

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #1,281 of 3,130
Did a comparison between my Ultrasone pro 750. Results? I don't like my Ultrasone anymore, these $6 headphones Kill it. The Ultrasone sounds thin, harsh and flat. The Nova44 is a great can to rock out to! Spent hours listening to Rob Zombie, System of a Down, Otep and others.

Figures, ultrasones are pretty garbage.

Did you mod it to play sound from all four transducers? 

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,282 of 3,130
I just bought it the other day, so I haven't done any major mods beyond the self adhesive foam rubber bits. I am wondering how all four going would sound? Would there be a smearing of sound if they aren't perfectly matched? Or will it just sound better and more powerful? Anyone heard the Nova44 in stereo vs quadraphonic?

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,283 of 3,130
I just bought it the other day, so I haven't done any major mods beyond the self adhesive foam rubber bits. I am wondering how all four going would sound? Would there be a smearing of sound if they aren't perfectly matched? Or will it just sound better and more powerful? Anyone heard the Nova44 in stereo vs quadraphonic?

It'd probably sound artificial, like they're trying to fake soundstage, which is why I asked if you tried it. Running only two leaves you with basically just an angled transducer headphone, with a lot of space from the ear, which should sound enormous.

Actually running them from a quadraphonic source is going to sound even more confused than just running all four off of a stereo jack.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #1,284 of 3,130
How's that I thought quadrophonic stuff had it all sorted out for circuitry.They sold enough of them back in the day.
At any rate for regular stereo it'd be no different than what AKG had going on, so long as you get the head placement right it should sound pretty good. As an option you could scoop up an AKG surround box meant for the K290 and get a plug working for that. See them solo on fleabay the odd time.
If you like what you are hearing so far that's what counts.
Heck there were even multi drivered ortho customs of this nature early on in the ortho thread. Cool stuff.

Might be easy to simply keep the cable separate for now and combine both into a single TRS jack. Easier for a trial. Wouldn't even need to screw on the TRS housing just wire it up. Why not.

As far as Ultrasones, it's really too bad a small percentage of people can't hear what the S-Logic does due to particular ear shapes as per the documentation. Fanatastic headphones. Certainly in no way what I would call "garbage" in any form. If I had to lose the hundred cans or so I owned it'd still easily be in the top 5.
Diff'rent strokes though.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #1,285 of 3,130
  How's that I thought quadrophonic stuff had it all sorted out for circuitry.They sold enough of them back in the day.
At any rate for regular stereo it'd be no different than what AKG had going on, so long as you get the head placement right it should sound pretty good. As an option you could scoop up an AKG surround box meant for the K290 and get a plug working for that. See them solo on fleabay the odd time.
If you like what you are hearing so far that's what counts.
Heck there were even multi drivered ortho customs of this nature early on in the ortho thread. Cool stuff.

Might be easy to simply keep the cable separate for now and combine both into a single TRS jack. Easier for a trial. Wouldn't even need to screw on the TRS housing just wire it up. Why not.

As far as Ultrasones, it's really too bad a small percentage of people can't hear what the S-Logic does due to particular ear shapes as per the documentation. Fanatastic headphones. Certainly in no way what I would call "garbage" in any form. If I had to lose the hundred cans or so I owned it'd still easily be in the top 5.
Diff'rent strokes though.

Quadraphonic in headphones is just nonsense, its not the equipment that's the problem, it just can't work because of how our ears work (at least, not in the way that headphone companies designed them back in the day)

Intriguing. Ultrasones headphones all measure very poorly, perhaps the S-Logic is a cause for this. However, somehow I doubt this, because there is a LOT of different things going on, and it doesn't seem logical that they'd all be caused by the same thing. I'm also not exactly willing to take the chance since their headphones are all RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

Oh well, maybe I'll hear one at a meet and like it, who knows.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #1,286 of 3,130
My Ultrasone pro 750 just sounded like a refined Grado with a little different sound signature and extended bass. The (lower?) mids were a bit recessed and the highs had a harsh metallic bite. The Nova44 has an overall warmer balance with a warmer and more expansive bass that also warms up the lower mids. But the upper mids and highs seem to taper off a bit giving female vocals a deeper, warmer voicing than what would seem completely natural. But the effect being that you can also crank it louder than the Ultrasone which is just asking for hearing damage with it's piercing metallic highs. But the Nova44 also has very detailed low end even though it's not super tight. Could really use a recable job I'm sure.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #1,288 of 3,130
I'm not quite sure. I have the original box for the HV-215V, but it doesn't list a date anywhere on it. My guess would be early 80's for both of them.
sound impressions?

good enough to be in wikiphonia ( or so I would guess )
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index.php?title=Lafayette_F-990

also the thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/71401/lafayette-f-990

short answer=paper coned, but that doesn't mean they suck necessarily, look at all the vintage speakers that use paper cones that are excellent.
 Wondering about modding them with the paper treatment liquid coating they sell for speaker cones... If I recall correctly it is reasonable cheap.
thanks!

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,289 of 3,130

I'm not quite sure. I have the original box for the HV-215V, but it doesn't list a date anywhere on it. My guess would be early 80's for both of them.

sound impressions?

I've owned these before so I'll toss in my two cents.

They didn't sound half bad to my ears. The sound was pretty wide and had good bass, a little bit of lower midrange warmth and upper midrange emphasis; somewhat of a V-shaped sound. They were quite comfortable (the pads are amazingly soft) and they seemed relatively easy to drive. One caveat was that the sound was quite "hot" and aggressive and not all that detailed or clean; I suspect high odd-order distortion throughout the spectrum. They didn't have amazing treble or bass extension, but they weren't particularly terrible in this area either. Not the worst headphone I've heard, but not very competitive beyond the $100 mark today.

The driver is actually very intriguing, the enclosure is 55mm in diameter, approximately 47mm effective active diaphragm area. It had a relatively conical shape to the diaphragm and looked like a little mylar subwoofer. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the drivers before I sold them; perhaps Negative can oblige.

<3 vintage

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #1,290 of 3,130
  I've owned these before so I'll toss in my two cents.

They didn't sound half bad to my ears. The sound was pretty wide and had good bass, a little bit of lower midrange warmth and upper midrange emphasis; somewhat of a V-shaped sound. They were quite comfortable (the pads are amazingly soft) and they seemed relatively easy to drive. One caveat was that the sound was quite "hot" and aggressive and not all that detailed or clean; I suspect high odd-order distortion throughout the spectrum. They didn't have amazing treble or bass extension, but they weren't particularly terrible in this area either. Not the worst headphone I've heard, but not very competitive beyond the $100 mark today.

The driver is actually very intriguing, the enclosure is 55mm in diameter, approximately 47mm effective active diaphragm area. It had a relatively conical shape to the diaphragm and looked like a little mylar subwoofer. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the drivers before I sold them; perhaps Negative can oblige.

<3 vintage

takato hits it pretty much on the head. Both do sound fairly good for being a mid-fi vintage set of headphones. They do indeed have a "V" or "U" shaped sounds signature, which is actually what I've come to like in my sound. The HV-215V has thicker ears pads than the HV-115, but they're both light weight and fairly comfortable. Both have a decent soundstage. Neither feel closed in or claustrophobic. The HV-215V has more of a flatter sound than the HV-115 so the HV-115 hits a little bigger on the bottom end. Personally, I think I lile the HV-215V more, but they both have their place in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back