Show us your vintage headphones!
Nov 1, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #556 of 3,134
Here's an odd little (actually huge) headphone with (I guarantee) the weirdest dynamic driver you've ever seen. And it's in full leather. 
eek.gif

The Rank Arena SK-600 (from 1973)

Detachable cable (faulty - I need to re-terminate the plug as it crackles)

This is a behemoth of a headphone

Looks like a normal dynamic driver....

Wait what?

blink.gif

So there you have it.
I found this on the German Telefunken website:http://telefunken.te.funpic.de/arena73/arena73-30.jpg which at least shows that it's the high-end model of the bunch.
The text rougly translates as follows: 
Dynamic stereo headphones. Acute model in elegant leather. Excellent sound characteristics. Technical specialty: some vibration-free aluminum membrane with controlled, pneumatic cushioning. Frequency range 15 to 22,000 Hz
Aluminium membrane? - that's the bit that stumped me. They look like a really weird electrostatic, but it's there in the description - dynamic..... seemingly sandwiched between two bits of aluminium with 5 holes in each.

I don't think I've ever wanted a strange vintage headphone to sound REALLY good as much as this one. Alas, there is WAAAY too much high bass. After dropping 250hz to rock bottom and 63hz down 6 notches (out of 10) this headphone started to make A LOT more sense. It actually sounds pretty damn good - especially low bass and the low bass decay. Which is hardly surprising from 60mm drivers! (external diameter 75mm) 
After EQ I think these drivers sound quite fast, but I'll need to do more listening to know where to put it....

Does anyone think re-terminating the original cable will reduce it's value? It's just a breaking connection in the plug, so a quick snip 2cm above the plug and a resolder to a new plug is what I want to do. Any thoughts?

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #557 of 3,134
Quote:
Here's an odd little (actually huge) headphone with (I guarantee) the weirdest dynamic driver you've ever seen. And it's in full leather. 
eek.gif

The Rank Arena SK-600 (from 1973)

Detachable cable (faulty - I need to re-terminate the plug as it crackles)

This is a behemoth of a headphone

Looks like a normal dynamic driver....

Wait what?

blink.gif

So there you have it.
I found this on the German Telefunken website:http://telefunken.te.funpic.de/arena73/arena73-30.jpg which at least shows that it's the high-end model of the bunch.
The text rougly translates as follows: 
Dynamic stereo headphones. Acute model in elegant leather. Excellent sound characteristics. Technical specialty: some vibration-free aluminum membrane with controlled, pneumatic cushioning. Frequency range 15 to 22,000 Hz
Aluminium membrane? - that's the bit that stumped me. They look like a really weird electrostatic, but it's there in the description - dynamic..... seemingly sandwiched between two bits of aluminium with 5 holes in each.

I don't think I've ever wanted a strange vintage headphone to sound REALLY good as much as this one. Alas, there is WAAAY too much high bass. After dropping 250hz to rock bottom and 63hz down 6 notches (out of 10) this headphone started to make A LOT more sense. It actually sounds pretty damn good - especially low bass and the low bass decay. Which is hardly surprising from 60mm drivers! (external diameter 75mm) 
After EQ I think these drivers sound quite fast, but I'll need to do more listening to know where to put it....

Does anyone think re-terminating the original cable will reduce it's value? It's just a breaking connection in the plug, so a quick snip 2cm above the plug and a resolder to a new plug is what I want to do. Any thoughts?

Personally I've seen reterminated vintage headphones go for more than stock terminated headphones.

Also I really want those things. Care to do a little bardering? :3

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #558 of 3,134
GREQ what the heck is that driver????? I know I saw one similar somewhere else and i just remembered where. I THINK it was a Dero model that Kalbee had in the Ortho Roundup thread in the past month or so...

Either way my eyes are on the lookout for these just to figure out that ddriver and the diaphragm.  THANKS AGAIN for posting them up. On my search lists now.

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #559 of 3,134
Quote:
GREQ what the heck is that driver????? 

That's the thing - I'm not entirely sure, but I think it might actually be an ALUMINIUM DIAPHRAGM (membrane). Light doesn't shine through the holes, and it is as reflective as chrome I shine a bright light through the holes. 

Also, it doesn't sound like ANYTHING I've listened to before. It is almost a metallic sound. As one would expect, they so have a relatively 'fast' sound; I'm still playing with the earpads, as that seems to be the headphones biggest flaw aside from it's early treble roll-off (it's not the worst roll-off because the treble is still there, it just rolls away much earlier than expected and more suddenly - but certainly still there.) Early tests with stuffing some extra foam have dramatically reduced the high bass hump and I'm experimenting with covering some of the front holes which also seems to help bring out the treble. Closing or damping the rear holes did nothing obvious to the sound.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #560 of 3,134
Quote:
Quote:
GREQ what the heck is that driver????? 

That's the thing - I'm not entirely sure, but I think it might actually be an ALUMINIUM DIAPHRAGM (membrane). Light doesn't shine through the holes, and it is as reflective as chrome I shine a bright light through the holes. 

Also, it doesn't sound like ANYTHING I've listened to before. It is almost a metallic sound. As one would expect, they so have a relatively 'fast' sound; I'm still playing with the earpads, as that seems to be the headphones biggest flaw aside from it's early treble roll-off (it's not the worst roll-off because the treble is still there, it just rolls away much earlier than expected and more suddenly - but certainly still there.) Early tests with stuffing some extra foam have dramatically reduced the high bass hump and I'm experimenting with covering some of the front holes which also seems to help bring out the treble. Closing or damping the rear holes did nothing obvious to the sound.

Very weird. Makes me want them even more...

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #561 of 3,134
Quote:

Don't get your hopes up, they're nothing spectacular - more of an oddity and fairly interesting to experiment with. I doubt I'll be holding onto these for long 
wink.gif

To give you an idea of what I mean, modern recordings sound pretty good when I put my 5 band amp EQ in this sort of formation:
-   -  -  -  -
-   -  -  -  -
-   -  -  -  o
-  -  -  o  -
o  o  -  -  -
-   -  o  -  -
-   -  -  -  -
....which gives you an idea of the ridiculously steep treble roll off and stupidly high bass/low mid hump. A truly strange headphone in so many ways - BUT with only a treble boost I have discovered that older recordings, like old Jazz and badly recorded rock actually sound rather good. Even some modern jazz sounds absolutely lush with the natural sound.... it's like a really dirty but enjoyable sound.... although that could be more due to my love of variety than the talent of the headphone. Bobby Mcferrin sounds excellent on these.

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #562 of 3,134
Quote:
Quote:

Don't get your hopes up, they're nothing spectacular - more of an oddity and fairly interesting to experiment with. I doubt I'll be holding onto these for long 
wink.gif

To give you an idea of what I mean, modern recordings sound pretty good when I put my 5 band amp EQ in this sort of formation:
-   -  -  -  -
-   -  -  -  -
-   -  -  -  o
-  -  -  o  -
o  o  -  -  -
-   -  o  -  -
-   -  -  -  -
....which gives you an idea of the ridiculously steep treble roll off and stupidly high bass/low mid hump. A truly strange headphone in so many ways - BUT with only a treble boost I have discovered that older recordings, like old Jazz and badly recorded rock actually sound rather good. Even some modern jazz sounds absolutely lush with the natural sound.... it's like a really dirty but enjoyable sound.... although that could be more due to my love of variety than the talent of the headphone. Bobby Mcferrin sounds excellent on these.

Meh. If you want to let them go, message me, because I'm very much into weird technologies. My initial reason for buying the SE-700 was just because it was the first piezoelectric headphone ever made. It just so happened to be beautiful and sound awesome too (which is why I was willing to spend a premium to get them)

Those look like a cross between an electret, an ortho, and a dynamic. It's absolutely unlike anything I've ever seen. And the fact that it has a transformer on the inside really intrigues me. 

Plus, after some of my mods I don't have a bass monster can anymore to hand to a Beats fanboy to make them feel inferior 
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #563 of 3,134
Finally got some decent pictures of my SE-700. These have to be the hardest headphone to photograph, ever. I'm still not completely satisfied with the results.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #565 of 3,134
Quote:
Finally got some decent pictures of my SE-700. These have to be the hardest headphone to photograph, ever. I'm still not completely satisfied with the results.

Gah! So pretty.. they remind me of the Sansui SS-100.

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #566 of 3,134
Yes, I am jelly. I want a Sextett quite badly.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #567 of 3,134
Quote:
Gah! So pretty.. they remind me of the Sansui SS-100.

Which I desperately want to get my hands on... The two would look phenomenal next to each other on a stand, and the SS-100 is a very special headphone.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #568 of 3,134
Quote:
just modded my PC so I can hang my sextetts on it.
The new cable made one hell of a diffidence.

img3079v.jpg

img3095q.jpg

I still have some restoring to do to them

You shouldn't do that with the sextetts. you'll put a big dent in the headband. Some headphones would be fine but AKGs are very easily morphed. You should get a real stand, or hang it by the black wire, that's what I do for my K240s with a little clip I have hanging on my wall. It works well and doesn't ruin the headband.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #569 of 3,134
You shouldn't do that with the sextetts. you'll put a big dent in the headband. Some headphones would be fine but AKGs are very easily morphed. You should get a real stand, or hang it by the black wire, that's what I do for my K240s with a little clip I have hanging on my wall. It works well and doesn't ruin the headband.

I'm going to be buying a new old head band, and new ear pads.
that being said I'm going to add a second screw, nice idea on the back wire.
I'm sure I would have thought of that, I did just add that mod today.
Yes, I am jelly. I want a Sextett quite badly.

good luck getting mine lol :atsmile:

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #570 of 3,134
Quote:
GREQ what the heck is that driver????? I know I saw one similar somewhere else and i just remembered where. I THINK it was a Dero model that Kalbee had in the Ortho Roundup thread in the past month or so...

Either way my eyes are on the lookout for these just to figure out that ddriver and the diaphragm.  THANKS AGAIN for posting them up. On my search lists now.

You mean these?

From the Dero D-1000. From the looks of it though, they're probably quite different.
Never managed to separate the drivers more than this yet but from what I am understanding they're dynamic drivers glued to that silver plate.
The other side of the plate is perforated. Not sure if whatever was between the two plates were part of the diaphragm or just double sided tape.

Stock plug was 1/4". The pads aren't even sown closed (I can open them up literally) and are completely flat rather than being flattened. Yeah they could use some cleaning...
Worn on the head like regular headphones at normal listening levels, it feels like listening to small speakers with a sweater or two thrown over it. Everything is muffled. Increase the volume and use them as speakers (or K1000 style)... they sound quite nice!!

The exterior looks essentially the same as
Quote:
Some of my unique headphones.
AcCuTex ST1000 electret with built in baby transformers. Fairly decent sounding. Bass starts to roll off at 75Hz and takes a dive at 50Hz. No idea when it was made. I can't find any information.

DSC_9822.jpg

DSC_9818.jpg

K-Mart Stat - It's an SR-3 clone. K-Mart and high end headphone is a very strange combination. They need recabling.

DSC_6550.jpg

Playback 70 stat - horrible sounding unless you hate bass. Bass dives at 150Hz. It makes an electric bass sound like an electric guitar. Form the looks, I'd guess late 60s early 70s. Pictured with an SR-5 for size comparison

DSC_6341.jpg

VectorScan VSH5 - A rebranded Audio Technica ATH-2. Pictured with an ATH-2

IMG_1811.jpg

The driver from my Fostex T30 - measures 60 mm across. 55 mm is usable

IMG_1524.jpg

Considering they don't have much else inside the cups aside from damping and drivers... unlike the ST1000 above that has extra parts in the upper section of the cups.
I don't deny the possibility that these might have been modded before acquisition though. Seems the only other member with D-1000 listed has in fact listed them as electret as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back