Show us your vintage headphones!
Nov 29, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #3,046 of 3,137
IMG_1371.jpeg

Nov 30, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #3,047 of 3,137
It always makes me wonder why they're so rare
Assuming people are using portable headphones as intended, that's typically some hard usage: being thrown into a backpack while commuting, getting sweaty while out for a run, the occasional surprise rainstorm ...

I have an old pair of Sennheiser PX-100s from around 2006 that still work fine, but remembering what I put them through I wouldn't be surprised if they'd died a noble death fifteen years ago.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #3,048 of 3,137
Assuming people are using portable headphones as intended, that's typically some hard usage: being thrown into a backpack while commuting, getting sweaty while out for a run, the occasional surprise rainstorm ...

I have an old pair of Sennheiser PX-100s from around 2006 that still work fine, but remembering what I put them through I wouldn't be surprised if they'd died a noble death fifteen years ago.
Hard usage really cannot be the reason . There are all sorts of used portables available on the second hand market. These Senns must have been advertised, but never really produced in substantive numbers. IMHO.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #3,049 of 3,137
Hard usage really cannot be the reason . There are all sorts of used portables available on the second hand market. These Senns must have been advertised, but never really produced in substantive numbers. IMHO.
I'm inclined to agree with this. The Sony portables from the era are relatively common, on the other hand the early MDR-CD portables were rare, also very expensive. Same goes for a lot of portables. Some I can understand their rarity but it seems like Sennheiser just never sold much of them

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #3,052 of 3,137
two more Balrogs, demons of the ancient world

aandb.jpg
More Sonys please! Soon I'll show 2 Aiwas according to plan. X10s. One had a defective driver, but it is fixed now by a good friend of mine. Until then, one of Sony's best vintage headphone (if not the best), the MDR-M66. I'd love to get an MDR-M88 in pristine condition, but I'd doubt it has a greater sound than the M66. It is phenomenal.
M66.jpg

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #3,053 of 3,137
Hey guys, I am glad to be a part of your group now :wink:

I got these beauties just 2 days ago.... From 1974 in mint condition. Very good sound, quite flat not much engaging in their default state.
But when I use EQ and add them proper sub-bass, highlight some mids and increase the highs... omg, they sound amazing!
Love their size and feel. Really pleased with them.

Not super detailed but huge soundstage and the bass is massive. They are actually a lot bigger than they look. Superb build, tank like quality. They will be 50 years old next year! I am planning to pair them soon with some proper vintage receiver from 70s, cant wait for that. For now I paired them with Denon PMA-800NE and yes, the sound is big and very engaging. Definitely on the other side of boring.

My aim was to get these just to keep them as a part of vintage collection but no, with this really nice sound they will definitely get plenty of head time.
They are a bit heavy and the cable is short, pads could be deeper but nothing in terms of sound quality. With EQ definitely they are another animal to please you.

Happy Listening :)

SHARP_2.jpg

SHARP_1.jpg

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #3,055 of 3,137
using the internet, it is easy to identify all the other vintage re%voxes
interestingly, however, it took me quite some time to find the donor for the RH thirty-one

pair.jpg
I don't think I've ever seen either of those anywhere o_0

It's that AKG a flight headphone/headset?

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #3,058 of 3,137
Nak-HP100-003.jpg

Nak-HP100-002.jpg

just found these interesting

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #3,060 of 3,137
How do they sound? Or you found them on the net?
I think they are very rare- how they sound from memory?- the Nak were kind of like a flat studio monitor like ... nothing like the Budaha Kahn I remember from same years as a kid - that's how I started in audio on these headphones and when Nakamichi released the Dragon and SAE gear at Crazy Eddie - I think it was like how everyone of that time wanted that and a Lamborghini Countach when they grew up

bu1d.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back