Show us your vintage headphones!
Dec 10, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #2,461 of 3,135
Dec 10, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #2,462 of 3,135
lol :
..." Even if it takes time, if you don't adjust it to the best, you won't be able to wear it for 10 minutes."
very much agree fit adjustment is crucial

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #2,463 of 3,135
Hold on will try and find better material for info.
Not %100 sure but I think those are 631 off a blog post somewhere I saved .
I know they can still be bought new.

https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://archive.fo/z05ri&prev=search

https://translate.google.ca/transla...ne.jp/~avcpj/tuuhan/avcelega.html&prev=search

hmmm I seem to have lost a few other info links when my comp crashed a bit ago.

I came across those two sites many years back, them and 20cheatdatabase were what piqued my interest. I don't remember where I came across this but a site said they were manufactured until 2002 when the company went bust.

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #2,465 of 3,135
do I see a Alnico magnet inside headphones?

I still cant understand how so heavy membrane of so massive plastic can sound good ?
ok, its dynamic headphone from 50s,
but still it built from massive plastic material, not Mylar or some thin material like celluloid (like CD3000 and R10) or some thin metal like beryllium, aluminium (like dt48 driver)
and you still compare it to headphones with thin membrane ?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #2,466 of 3,135
Dec 11, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #2,467 of 3,135

I still cant understand how so heavy membrane of so massive plastic can sound good ?
but still it built from massive plastic material, not Mylar or some thin material like celluloid (like CD3000 and R10) or some thin metal like beryllium, aluminium (like dt48 driver)

Unfortunately information is so scant that I can't get any form of specification outside 50mm membrane. I would love to open them up and take some good pictures but they're built so strongly I can't think of anyway to open them without serious damage.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #2,469 of 3,135

Yes pretty sure it was Mylar I think they had Mylar way back early in their lineup.
Pretty much every driver around still uses a mylar/plastic base with only deposits on top ( aside from obvious woodcone centers or paper etc the obvious stuff. )
The Sony even uses a "plastic" base layer with the biocell stuff on top. ( I have CD1000 ) Formed over something.
Beryllium drivers for headphones are the same those are not pure metal. Aside from being incredibly toxic, seems to contain only a small percentage of Be in the alloy that is on the applied layer.
A deposited layer ( plasma evaporation or whatever they call it these days ).
So called Graphene too at least so far.
I have / had Ruby, Diamond, Sapphire, and Titanium drivers but they are not pure either ( I wish :) )

Anyways depends on the build for the final sound. Have some older dynamic stuff in the 25 micron range that is quite incredible.
If I can find the info there seemed to be some user fine tuning-adjustability by dialing the driver rears.
Something about that.

How did you open yours?

Not ever opened them up they are way too nice for that. I might scratch them :)
But from the images there it seems they may only be held there by a black ring gasket. Whether that is pressure snug fit somehow or bonded I dunno.

Though maybe you can experiment on the 10k ohm one.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #2,470 of 3,135
Yes pretty sure it was Mylar I think they had Mylar way back early in their lineup.
Pretty much every driver around still uses a mylar/plastic base with only deposits on top ( aside from obvious woodcone centers or paper etc the obvious stuff. )
The Sony even uses a "plastic" base layer with the biocell stuff on top. ( I have CD1000 ) Formed over something.
Beryllium drivers for headphones are the same those are not pure metal. Aside from being incredibly toxic, seems to contain only a small percentage of Be in the alloy that is on the applied layer.
A deposited layer ( plasma evaporation or whatever they call it these days ).
So called Graphene too at least so far.
I have had Ruby , Diamond ,Sapphire, and Titanium drivers but they are not pure either ( I wish :) )

Anyways depends on the build for the final sound. Have some older dynamic stuff in the 25 micron range that is quite incredible.
If I can find the info there seemed to be some user fine tuning-adjustability by dialing the driver rears.
Something about that.

Don't forget the DR-Z with the palladium coating.I believe the only truly 100% biocellulose drivers were the Sony R10 & CD3000 and the Foster OEMS like the Denon woodies and the creative aurvana

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #2,471 of 3,135

Not ever opened them up they are way too nice for that. I might scratch them :)
But from the images there it seems they may only be held there by a black ring gasket. Whether that is pressure snug fit somehow or bonded I dunno.

Though maybe you can experiment on the 10k ohm one.

They seem to be clamped in place by the steel ring, I'd prefer to experiment on the 8 ohm, the 10k is in better shape and from what I've seen much rarer

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #2,472 of 3,135
Don't forget the DR-Z with the palladium coating.I believe the only truly 100% biocellulose drivers were the Sony R10 & CD3000 and the Foster OEMS like the Denon woodies and the creative aurvana
Are they 100% biocellulose?
I was always under the impression there is a very light weave or fabric mesh that supports the growth of the cellulose; which is analogous to rebar in concrete or gauze in a plaster cast.
I have never read anything conclusive one way or the other, so it would be interesting to find out for certain.

nick n already covered most of it with his answer above.
I just want to add that these thin 'vapour deposition' layers are only intended to increase rigidity and uniform movement of the driver - just like when you put 2 pieces of cardboard together, the tensile strength increases exponentially.
If the driver was made of pure titanium, or other exotic materials, they would indeed be far too heavy.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #2,473 of 3,135
Are they 100% biocellulose?
I was always under the impression there is a very light weave or fabric mesh that supports the growth of the cellulose; which is analogous to rebar in concrete or gauze in a plaster cast.
I have never read anything conclusive one way or the other, so it would be interesting to find out for certain.

Going by a few sources, the material is grew by the bacteria into a pad which is then pressed to make a diaphragm, so it's completely bio-cellulose. Funny enough they experimented with adding bio-cellulose into concrete. There's also a few other pure exotic materials used as diaphragms such as silicon carbonate, carbon fiber and actual forged beryllium but only in speakers as far as I know.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #2,474 of 3,135
Calling MrTechAgent :) .....

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #2,475 of 3,135
Something a little different
9941822_l.jpg

A Lambda and Lambda Nova Signature connected to a modified SRA-3S. Even though the LNS has a fuller and more refined sound, I still prefer the original lambda. They have that quality that can't really be explained. Musical is the best description and much more of it with the vacuum tube SRA-3S than the solid state SRA-12S I used to play them on. The original Lambda is still one of my favorites even if some other electrostatics I own have better technical capabilities.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back