Show us your vintage headphones!
Sep 22, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #136 of 3,137
Sansui ss-1
these are mylar -not paper- drivers. probably one of the earlier mylar drivers out there. very detailed sound, especially for its day

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #138 of 3,137

Quote:
Hmph! The colour of those headphones are way before their time.

Any idea on the manufacturing year?

cannot find a date on the paperwork. most likely early-mid 70s

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #140 of 3,137
awesome- wow these are from the 60s then!  a very early mylar driver

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #142 of 3,137
dose anyone know what is the brand of YELLOW MAGIC ORCHESTRA headphones?
the ones they used in LIVE AT GREEK THEATER in 1979.
any reply with the brand name or where i can buy them would be apreciated, thanks.

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #144 of 3,137
happy_face1.gif
This is a pair of akg k140 i renovated and modded.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528947/renovated-and-modded-akg-k140-baby-sextetts#post_7132580  (from post 1)
                                                                                                     paddy

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #145 of 3,137
This is a late production pair of sextetts i renovated.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486657/wtb-akg-k240-drivers/15#post_7166060  (from post 28)
                                                                                                  paddy

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #146 of 3,137
Akg k240DF
Got these yesterday, opened them up and to my suprise they dont need modding, the elastics, pads and foam are 100% sound.
Cleaned the contacts with deoxit and progold then put them back together, these are great sounding phones.

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #147 of 3,137
Beyer DT 48 S, 25 Ohm

This is the 25 Ohm S version of Beyer DT 48. According to the original owner they were used in movie productions in Germany, along with a Nagra recorder.

The condition is very good, no scratches on the aluminum surfaces.

It says BEYER on the side of the phones, not Beyerdynamic, and this would probably make them a 50's or 60's pair. On the backside of the drivers there are some markings, "50" on the left, and "57" on the right. Some DT 48 owners here on head-fi have suspected that the numbers on the drivers would be the year of manufacturing. If so, then the right driver was probably replaced at some point, allthough there don't seem to be any toolmarks or solder that would suggest that. There is absolutely no noticeable tonal difference between the drivers though.

I replaced the original DIN connector with a jack, and replaced the earpads too. The headband has been changed by the original owner at some point, as the one currently attached is the version probably used since 1970's.

With the new earpads the seal is good enough to produce quite deep and powerful bass, and the sound overall is quite enjoyable with live recordings that have a simple setting. Well recorded acoustic instruments sound great, and Tom Waits' In Shades from the album Heartattack and vine for instance just simply shines with them.

The phones are still waiting a recabling, as I haven't had the time to do that just yet (during the two years I've had them :D ).

-Lauri

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #148 of 3,137

Quote:
Beyer DT 48 S, 25 Ohm

This is the 25 Ohm S version of Beyer DT 48. According to the original owner they were used in movie productions in Germany, along with a Nagra recorder.

The condition is very good, no scratches on the aluminum surfaces.

It says BEYER on the side of the phones, not Beyerdynamic, and this would probably make them a 50's or 60's pair. On the backside of the drivers there are some markings, "50" on the left, and "57" on the right. Some DT 48 owners here on head-fi have suspected that the numbers on the drivers would be the year of manufacturing. If so, then the right driver was probably replaced at some point, allthough there don't seem to be any toolmarks or solder that would suggest that. There is absolutely no noticeable tonal difference between the drivers though.

I replaced the original DIN connector with a jack, and replaced the earpads too. The headband has been changed by the original owner at some point, as the one currently attached is the version probably used since 1970's.

With the new earpads the seal is good enough to produce quite deep and powerful bass, and the sound overall is quite enjoyable with live recordings that have a simple setting. Well recorded acoustic instruments sound great, and Tom Waits' In Shades from the album Heartattack and vine for instance just simply shines with them.

The phones are still waiting a recabling, as I haven't had the time to do that just yet (during the two years I've had them :D ).

-Lauri

Great condition...I'll need to get new aluminum cups to put my DT-48S in this shape.

Here is my driver markings:

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #149 of 3,137
Quote:
Great condition...I'll need to get new aluminum cups to put my DT-48S in this shape.

I took a closer look at my phones, the number I thought to be 50 could actually be a 56, so then it just might be the production year. Then there's also the number 9881 engraved on both drivers, but no other markings aside that.

It would make sense, that the two digit number is the production year of the driver, and the other the serial number of the whole assembly.

-Lauri

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #150 of 3,137

Quote:
Quote:

I took a closer look at my phones, the number I thought to be 50 could actually be a 56, so then it just might be the production year. Then there's also the number 9881 engraved on both drivers, but no other markings aside that.

It would make sense, that the two digit number is the production year of the driver, and the other the serial number of the whole assembly.

-Lauri

Yay Lauri, this makes a lot of sense. In this case Beyer produce around 5000 pieces between 56 to 70s, is like 350 per year. 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back