Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #14,851 of 41,104
Quote:
Quote:
Here is the rig in it's current form. 

It nearly looks like you're "Bi-amping" with the Decs. 
normal_smile .gif

Hmmm... Maybe a pair of Super Zen's?.....No, No....Must not tempt myself!

Aug 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #14,852 of 41,104
Quote:
Quote:
Here is the rig in it's current form. 

It seems I keep following you.  Because I've got some upcoming changes to my rig, I've been looking into racks lately, and the Archetype is winning so far.  I've been thinking 1x 5 tier and 1x 3 tier.  They even make bookends that'll make it perfect for holding LP's.

Next I'll be trading my LCD's for HD800's (not likely)
biggrin.gif

edit: I just noticed you got a Mac Mini
wink_face.gif

Upgrade...The 2007 has bit the dust. Nice to have Thunderbolt and USB 3.0. I like the native 1TB drive too.

Aug 27, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #14,855 of 41,104
Probably nostalgia. Owned and loved the HD650 before moving up the chain. Bought it again and purged everything to see if I could get by. I enjoy it for the most part, though it is a significant drop from the HD800. I'm definitely conscious of the HD650's limitations.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #14,859 of 41,104
Quote:
how, where do you guys choose/download your music? Good hardware also need great music to go with it. Just want to learn from everyone.

I find that CDs are the most convenient.  You can get a high-end CD transport, or rip them to your computer in lossless.  Uncompressed 16/44.1 sounds pretty darn good to me, although, my $600 rig isn't anywhere near summit-fi 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I also get songs from Beatport for lossless dance tracks, and from HD Tracks when I can, 24-bit sounds fantastic. If I need to, I go through iTunes, but it's usually only if I absolutely have to have a certain song and a CD can't be easily obtained. I've recently started collecting some vinyl too, but I don't have a turntable yet, so I'll hold off on that being my primary listening method until I actually own a vinyl rig 
tongue.gif
 But even still, I don't think I'll completely switch to vinyl, given that not everything these days is released on vinyl. I'm pretty satisfied with my CDs and HD downloads. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #14,860 of 41,104
Quote:
how, where do you guys choose/download your music? Good hardware also need great music to go with it. Just want to learn from everyone.

Yeah I just started buying CDs again. Check out some used record stores, they usually have a decent selection and often used CDs are cheaper than iTunes (and better quality). I have a couple albums from HDTracks, one of them sounds noticeably better than 16/44.1 (Fleetwood Mac - Rumours), the other doesn't sound much better (Norah Jones - Come Away With Me), so it may be hit or miss. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #14,862 of 41,104
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

How about rip from music DVD? Will that gives me better files? In 5.1?
Or, rip sound track from Blu-Ray music disc?

Yes you can do that. Most BD/DVDs have a 2.0 track embedded in them.

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #14,863 of 41,104
Yeah I just started buying CDs again. Check out some used record stores, they usually have a decent selection and often used CDs are cheaper than iTunes (and better quality). I have a couple albums from HDTracks, one of them sounds noticeably better than 16/44.1 (Fleetwood Mac - Rumours), the other doesn't sound much better (Norah Jones - Come Away With Me), so it may be hit or miss. 
+1, I buy some on Amazon since they give me the mp3 rips as well which satisfies me enough until the CD get to me. :)

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #14,864 of 41,104

Careful with HD Tracks. Their sources are suspect for some of their stuff. Come Away With Me's CD release wasn't near as good as the SACD or any of the LP cuts.

I'd bet the HD Tracks downloads were sourced from the CD if it doesn't specify and doesn't sound better.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #14,865 of 41,104
Quote:
Careful with HD Tracks. Their sources are suspect for some of their stuff. Come Away With Me's CD release wasn't near as good as the SACD or any of the LP cuts.

I'd bet the HD Tracks downloads were sourced from the CD if it doesn't specify and doesn't sound better.

Yeah. Actually, that Norah Jones album is just upsampled (shame on HDTracks and the SACD publisher) from the redbook causing all kinds of bad mojo. The CD is the best version. Actually, the vinyl is since i've compared both, but that's not digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back