Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jul 28, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #14,326 of 41,133
Quote:
Nah, I'd got with the PS500s. As much as I enjoyed the RS1/RS1i, I prefer the PS500s!

I really liked the PS500 too and found it less fatiguing and with less pronounced mids than the RS1i. But I'd still go for the old bird! 
gs1000.gif

Quote:

whats the difference? 

i've heard the PS500s are more neutral and have more bass, which i don't know if thats a good thing or not, i liked the RS1i's forwardness. i was gonna go for PS1000, but i think my T1 would be better, and the PS1000 are very heavy

I recently had the chance to compare my HP1000 to an RS1i and a PS500. The difference between the latter and the RS1i can be summarized as less mids, and a bit more treble and bass. I actually think it's less natural than the RS1i, but then it's a lot less fatiguing. I actually reviewed them in my website. It's in Portuguese, but I think Google Translate does a pretty good job! Bear in mind that I write for the Brazilian public, which contains mostly noobs, so I have to be pretty detailed. So it's quite long, but just jump to Sound and you'll be fine :wink:

http://mindtheheadphone.com.br/2013/03/02/comparativo-dos-grados-hp1000-rs1i-e-ps500/

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #14,327 of 41,133
Some updates to my rig, new speakers, got a new rug and also my Royal Princess back
biggrin.gif
Also some new portable gear with my tax return
smily_headphones1.gif

Spendings been less than I would of hoped for... no more overtime+apprentice wages+mortgage at the age of 20= Not enough head-fi funds
frown.gif

Oh and some nice tidy speaker, HDMI and Opticle cables
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #14,328 of 41,133
Quote:
This is my current setup, which should be changing soon -- moving and adding new/different gear. Stepping up the DIY game with a new workshop. The only thing that is not DIY in these pictures is the LCD-2s. The rest is "The Wire" amp (wooden panels), on top of that is my Cavalli Compact Tube Hybrid amp, and to the right is the Gamma 2 DAC. The headphones are: LCD2.2 and Magnum v4s with Ohrenholz cups. I'll be eventually adding a Buffalo ES9023 based DAC and Cavalli EHHA Rev A in the near future.

Gorgeous stuff! How much did it cost you to build the Cavalli hybrid? I've stayed away from DIY so far, but that one's just too darn tempting 0_0

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #14,331 of 41,133
Quote:
Some updates to my rig, new speakers, got a new rug and also my Royal Princess back
biggrin.gif
Also some new portable gear with my tax return
smily_headphones1.gif

What are you using to run the Zus?

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #14,332 of 41,133
Quote:
Quote:
Nah, I'd got with the PS500s. As much as I enjoyed the RS1/RS1i, I prefer the PS500s!

I really liked the PS500 too and found it less fatiguing and with less pronounced mids than the RS1i. But I'd still go for the old bird! 
gs1000.gif

Quote:

whats the difference? 

i've heard the PS500s are more neutral and have more bass, which i don't know if thats a good thing or not, i liked the RS1i's forwardness. i was gonna go for PS1000, but i think my T1 would be better, and the PS1000 are very heavy

I recently had the chance to compare my HP1000 to an RS1i and a PS500. The difference between the latter and the RS1i can be summarized as less mids, and a bit more treble and bass. I actually think it's less natural than the RS1i, but then it's a lot less fatiguing. I actually reviewed them in my website. It's in Portuguese, but I think Google Translate does a pretty good job! Bear in mind that I write for the Brazilian public, which contains mostly noobs, so I have to be pretty detailed. So it's quite long, but just jump to Sound and you'll be fine :wink:

http://mindtheheadphone.com.br/2013/03/02/comparativo-dos-grados-hp1000-rs1i-e-ps500/

IMHO, PS500 had just a little too much mid-bass.  Listen to the lower range of classical piano pieces.  Too colored down there for me.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #14,333 of 41,133
Quote:

gs1000.gif

Grandes aprofundados comentários

Saúde
beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #14,334 of 41,133

Cabin trip-fi!

Enjoying the discussion on the PS500s.
The Grado SR60 was my entrance to head-fi as a student, and I still love the grado sound.
I went from the SR60s to the GS1000s and loved them at first, but later realised they were a bit too fatigueing for me. I really like the way they present voices, and after I started to listen to speakers more, I really appreciate the huge soundstage, but the highs are a bit too much for me. I find they sound good with a very limited range of genres.

Got the RS1i next. Absolutely loved them, and I still do. The mids sound close to perfect for me, and the amount of detail they are able to reveal still amazes me. They sounded fantastic with the WA2, I'm happy I was able to own that combo for a while.

After I got the LCD-2s, I have to say they've become my favorite pair of headphones, and the best that I've had the pleasure of hearing so far.
I still use and love the RS1is though, sometimes I just crave that raw in-your-face detail of the Grados. But as my ears are getting more and more accustomed to the darker sound of the LCDs, I'm finding the RS1i somewhat more fatigueing.
Sounds like the PS500 might be worth looking into :)

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #14,335 of 41,133
Jul 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #14,336 of 41,133
I have no idea what happened there, i meant to say sweet gear!

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #14,340 of 41,133
Quote:

Grandes aprofundados comentários

Saúde
beerchug.gif

Hahahaha thank you! Didn't expect a Portuguese comment coming from Indonesia!

Quote:

Cabin trip-fi!

Enjoying the discussion on the PS500s.
The Grado SR60 was my entrance to head-fi as a student, and I still love the grado sound.
I went from the SR60s to the GS1000s and loved them at first, but later realised they were a bit too fatigueing for me. I really like the way they present voices, and after I started to listen to speakers more, I really appreciate the huge soundstage, but the highs are a bit too much for me. I find they sound good with a very limited range of genres.

Got the RS1i next. Absolutely loved them, and I still do. The mids sound close to perfect for me, and the amount of detail they are able to reveal still amazes me. They sounded fantastic with the WA2, I'm happy I was able to own that combo for a while.

After I got the LCD-2s, I have to say they've become my favorite pair of headphones, and the best that I've had the pleasure of hearing so far.
I still use and love the RS1is though, sometimes I just crave that raw in-your-face detail of the Grados. But as my ears are getting more and more accustomed to the darker sound of the LCDs, I'm finding the RS1i somewhat more fatigueing.
Sounds like the PS500 might be worth looking into :)

Sounds a lot like me with the HP1000, but to a smaller degree since it's not nearly as aggressive as the RS1i. Still aggressive by my standards though, especially compared to my other cans. But that's exactly how I feel, sometimes I just want that raw, crude (in a good way) sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back