Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #13,578 of 41,129
Here's the latest iteration which I'll take you through. I think I can safely say I've come a long way from my Sansa Clip+/laptop which was pretty much all I had in January.

I've got the iFi iUSB providing noise free power to my new headless Raspberry Pi which is streaming music from a server back through the iUSB to my Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC and into the Magni. To control it all there is MPDroid on my phone and Sonata on my computer.

In short: iUSB -> Raspberry Pi -> iUSB -> E-DAC -> Magni -> DT770/80

May 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #13,579 of 41,129
Quote:
Well, it's not actually an all-gear-in-one-photo, but...

(Weiss Minerva, Luxman P1, Audeze LCD2 Bamboo/Leather Free w/Metal Headband & DIY Cable)

Nice use of equipment that isn't the go-to.

May 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #13,580 of 41,129
Quote:
It's not too often that you see an HD800 with a Schiit stack, though they're becoming more popular. How does the combo sound?

Also, what've your mods done to the HD800's sound signature?

I love it. With the right tubes, the HD800s sing. The mods haven't messed with the overall tonal balance. They're only to reduce the 6.5k peak, which they do quite admirably.

Kojaku

May 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #13,581 of 41,129
Sweet! How do the HD800 sound with the Schiit stack? What tubes are you using?
I have a pair of HD800 coming in.. hopefully Friday and will be using my Schiit stack with Amperex Orange Globes or some Bugle Boys that are also incoming.
Quote:
Hmmm...things have come a long way since my grado-modding days...Just got these bad boys in:

Kojaku

May 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #13,582 of 41,129
Quote:
Old:

Now: 

Pretty much the only thing that is different is the new turntable and desk 
rolleyes.gif

Nice!  But that turntable will be a lot happier with a more solid platform.

May 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #13,583 of 41,129
Quote:

Nice!  But that turntable will be a lot happier with a more solid platform.

Hey, fellow Connecticut resident (Connectican
confused_face(1).gif
). I am sort of a turntable noob, what would you suggest?

May 20, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #13,584 of 41,129
Quote:
Here's the latest iteration which I'll take you through. I think I can safely say I've come a long way from my Sansa Clip+/laptop which was pretty much all I had in January.

I've got the iFi iUSB providing noise free power to my new headless Raspberry Pi which is streaming music from a server back through the iUSB to my Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC and into the Magni. To control it all there is MPDroid on my phone and Sonata on my computer.

In short: iUSB -> Raspberry Pi -> iUSB -> E-DAC -> Magni -> DT770/80

How do you like the Raspberry Pi? I was actually thinking of buying one to set up a similar server.

Also, what did you use for the music server?

May 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #13,585 of 41,129
Quote:
confused_face(1).gif

If I may, I think he's referring to something like this at least : http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/sandblaster_e.html

Some will actually take the TT apart and install its mechanical parts on a heavier plinth :

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMHWqqpDniKXzFDh7Gi7HZX5EB80z_fIfrrnoKNQTYHuRHNNZuig

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/sp10huxkaneta1b.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDwTsmZKtmcVXwzae7dyCGYRo7rJC7Wy6-7cAt9dD5QGNropKP8g

---

The reason for either is that a TT is a lot more affected by vibrations than CDPs. With the latter at least it's easy enough to have a stable platform as long as the disc transport is good enough quality, as well as the chassis, since the laser reading it makes no physical contact. On analog discs, the needle makes physical contact not just through the spinning mechanism, but also the needle, which vibrates along with the cartridge from reading the disc as well as more of it from any vibration on the chassis. A heavier platform deals with some of those vibrations.

May 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #13,586 of 41,129
Quote:
Sweet! How do the HD800 sound with the Schiit stack? What tubes are you using?
I have a pair of HD800 coming in.. hopefully Friday and will be using my Schiit stack with Amperex Orange Globes or some Bugle Boys that are also incoming.

I'm using Tesla ECC88 Gold Pin "Sabres" and the stock JJ tubes. The Teslas are a really clean tube, though honestly better for LCD-2s than HD800s. The JJs sound really good for new production. Not the greatest tube I've ever heard, but still REALLY great sounding. I'm getting a set of Bugle Boys in the mail soon though :)

Kojaku

May 21, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #13,587 of 41,129
Quote:
confused_face(1).gif

Hey fellow Nutmegger!  
beerchug.gif

The ideal would be a good solid rack.  But a lot of people, myself included, have come up with alternative solutions.

The important thing is that you have to have a solid platform so the TT is secure, but you also want to isolate it from external vibrations as much as possible.

Sitting on top of that other component, it's possible for vibrations from that component's transformer to be coupled into the TT, and that's not ideal.

A lot of people have good luck with wall mounted shelves.  Just make sure that whatever you set upon is sturdy enough to support the weight of the TT, and as level as you can make it.  Then you can level it up the rest of the way using the TT's feet..

May 21, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #13,588 of 41,129
Quote:

If I may, I think he's referring to something like this at least : http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/sandblaster_e.html

Some will actually take the TT apart and install its mechanical parts on a heavier plinth :

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMHWqqpDniKXzFDh7Gi7HZX5EB80z_fIfrrnoKNQTYHuRHNNZuig

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/sp10huxkaneta1b.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDwTsmZKtmcVXwzae7dyCGYRo7rJC7Wy6-7cAt9dD5QGNropKP8g

---

The reason for either is that a TT is a lot more affected by vibrations than CDPs. With the latter at least it's easy enough to have a stable platform as long as the disc transport is good enough quality, as well as the chassis, since the laser reading it makes no physical contact. On analog discs, the needle makes physical contact not just through the spinning mechanism, but also the needle, which vibrates along with the cartridge from reading the disc as well as more of it from any vibration on the chassis. A heavier platform deals with some of those vibrations.

That would be great!  

But there are a lot of other options,  like a good solid hunk of butcher's block sitting on super balls.  There are a lot of ways to end up where you want to be, more than one way to skin a cat...

If you can afford the time to make a solution like ProtegeManiac posted, so much the better.

May 21, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #13,589 of 41,129
Quote:
I'm using Tesla ECC88 Gold Pin "Sabres" and the stock JJ tubes. The Teslas are a really clean tube, though honestly better for LCD-2s than HD800s. The JJs sound really good for new production. Not the greatest tube I've ever heard, but still REALLY great sounding. I'm getting a set of Bugle Boys in the mail soon though :)

Kojaku

I love the Bugle Boys!  Orange Globes are awesome too!  But it seems like every week we hear about more tubes that sound great in the Lyr.  There may never be an end to the tube rolling fun!

May 21, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #13,590 of 41,129
Quote:

I love the Bugle Boys!  Orange Globes are awesome too!  But it seems like every week we hear about more tubes that sound great in the Lyr.  There may never be an end to the tube rolling fun!

I've had to be way more particular with HD800 tube pairings though. The sort of reckless high frequency mess going on with the teslas was just WAY too hot for the HD800s. I had to roll back to something more balanced. The LCD2s I used to have ran those tubes like a champ, though.

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back