Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #12,376 of 41,128
And to everyone: sorry for the many posts and random topic changes in my posts. I'm just catching up with the thread, I got like 500 posts behind!

On the vinyl: I bet the 180g masters are usually better.
On warping: I've bought a few records by mail and I've only had one warping issue. It was this 7" and it was pretty bad, but at least the thing still plays. This was the video I sent to the label asking for another one (never got a response after even 9 months; I didn't care enough to send a second email)

Edit: I don't know why that video embed came out so large, and I don't know how to change it. Sorry...

Other records I've ordered may have slightly warped, but not noticeably (meaning I never really noticed, if I did not enough to remember to post it now). How much effect would it really have on the quality? I've seen machines that are supposed to like de-warp records but I don't know how the heat wouldn't also damage the grooves in the process..?

Anyway, now I'm caught up!

P.S. Would anyone want a decent pair of Sennheiser 650s (just some cosmetic damage to be explained later)? They've been tripped on and played loud their fair share but they oughta be fine, and if not let me know, see my feedback. Anyway, they're IC. $325 OBO. I bought them refurb so I'd have to check up on the warranty info if you wanted. Sonic Sense Pro Audio on eBay, and last I checked they don't sell refurb 650s on ebay anymore.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #12,377 of 41,128

Here's a pretty good picture. It's honestly all about experimentation with your individual room. The recommendations I usually get time and time again is put 2 panels directly behind the speakers and do the stuff it show for the back of the room (unless your seating position is directly against the wall).

EDIT: On warps. I've gotten enough modern vinyl that's 'slightly warped' to probably warrant getting a vinyl flat and pouch soon.

Quote:
The main thing keeping me from room treatments is knowing how to do it. I don't know how to figure where to place things, etc. I think you're supposed to eliminate places where the sound reflects or something, but how to do this: 
size]

Any help? Anything would rock. An article on the web would be great.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #12,378 of 41,128
Even with my on-ear cans (they do cover my whole ear but do not go over them) I can't hear sirens. Many times I've asked my dad why we were randomly pulling over to see an ambulance go by "silently"...
Because of this I doubt I'd ever wear headphones while driving.

There's a difference between obliviously riding along and actively driving.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #12,379 of 41,128
Quote:

Here's a pretty good picture. It's honestly all about experimentation with your individual room. The recommendations I usually get time and time again is put 2 panels directly behind the speakers and do the stuff it show for the back of the room (unless your seating position is directly against the wall).

Thank you!!
So if your speakers are toed in, is that like a yard stick from the outer edge straight back to the wall? Or like straight from the back of the speaker until it hits something? But then it would be facing straight out and not really "behind" the speaker, so I assume the former.

Do you know how I would know if I need bass traps? Would that be meant to decrease bass, or make it less boomy, or what? I only have passive radiators, so if anything I'd like more bass :wink:

What are "diffusors"? Aren't "absorbers" just the foam stuff?

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #12,380 of 41,128
And I guess size would be just up to me? Doing something similar to the size of the speaker, like a square as tall as the speaker, for the sides seems logical. The bass drivers don't have a clear line of sight to the back wall, so maybe something the size of what does directly in front of the speaker for the back? (maybe straight on with the back wall ones). And same thing as the sides for the back?

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #12,381 of 41,128
Quote:
Like I said. Now 180g gives less chance of warp where as when it was pioneered it was the opposite.

There's hardly any good places to press records anymore and most of them (the good ones) are going to do 180 or 200g audiophile stuff.

Despite this, I've had to return a handful of 180 gram pressings that were warped right out of the package. You can't win! 
frown.gif

And then an amazingly good pressing comes along and makes it all worth it again 
biggrin.gif
 (e.g. Grateful Dead - Rhino Remasters)

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #12,382 of 41,128
Here's the way I understand everything.

Traps: They trap certain frequencies so that they don't reflect. My room right now for instance could really use bass traps as it's extremely boomy and uncontrolled compared to my living room I was in before.

Absorbers will generally reduce reflections similar to traps but to a lesser extent and generally higher frequencies.

Diffusors basically bounce the sound off in a bunch of different directions rather than essentially having a 'hard line' reflect off a wall.

As for the toe in I can't answer that one. All my speakers have needed little to no toe in so I've always just assumed I needed panels directly on the back wall.

Quote:
Thank you!!
So if your speakers are toed in, is that like a yard stick from the outer edge straight back to the wall? Or like straight from the back of the speaker until it hits something? But then it would be facing straight out and not really "behind" the speaker, so I assume the former.

Do you know how I would know if I need bass traps? Would that be meant to decrease bass, or make it less boomy, or what? I only have passive radiators, so if anything I'd like more bass :wink:

What are "diffusors"? Aren't "absorbers" just the foam stuff?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I've had it explained to me before.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #12,383 of 41,128
My holy grail for pressing quality (and packaging quality) right now are the new Analogue Productions 200g Doors Remasters.

Super heavy, wave free vinyl. Really nice, thick cardboard jackets, and good anti-static inner sleeves.

Quote:

Despite this, I've had to return a handful of 180 gram pressings that were warped right out of the package. You can't win! 
frown.gif

And then an amazingly good pressing comes along and makes it all worth it again 
biggrin.gif
 (e.g. Grateful Dead - Rhino Remasters)

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #12,384 of 41,128
All this talk of vinyl  and so many nice looking turntable pictures keeps making me want to try it out...  

If i didn't already have a good sized collection of cds i would be all over trying out vinyl.   I fully appreciate the whole ritualistic thing with a physical medium over just digital and I just love how turntables look...

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #12,385 of 41,128
I'll have to check it out. I've got an original Electra pressing of their 1967 debut album. "Light My Fire" was actually cut with the tape running at the wrong speed on the early pressings 
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #12,386 of 41,128
Quote:
All this talk of vinyl  and so many nice looking turntable pictures keeps making me want to try it out...  

If i didn't already have a good sized collection of cds i would be all over trying out vinyl.   I fully appreciate the whole ritualistic thing with a physical medium over just digital and I just love how turntables look...

I'm also starting to feel an itch coming on, that said anyone have some recommendations for decent turntables to look at?  Did some googling and like all things audio prices range greatly so any advice is greatly appreciated.  
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #12,387 of 41,128
The new Analogue Productions were done from the original tapes (minus the first as the original tape doesn't exist anymore) completely analog front to back. They're the definitive masters, IMO. I've heard quite a few Doors versions as they're one of my favorite bands.

Quote:
I'll have to check it out. I've got an original Electra pressing of their 1967 debut album. "Light My Fire" was actually cut with the tape running at the wrong speed on the early pressings 
biggrin.gif

Need a budget before making any suggestion.

Also, vinyl isn't for the feint of heart...and you've got to prepare your wallet. It's the deepest hole I'm gotten into in this audio hobby so far...

Quote:
I'm also starting to feel an itch coming on, that said anyone have some recommendations for decent turntables to look at?  Did some googling and like all things audio prices range greatly so any advice is greatly appreciated.  
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #12,388 of 41,128
Quote:
Here's the way I understand everything.

Traps: They trap certain frequencies so that they don't reflect. My room right now for instance could really use bass traps as it's extremely boomy and uncontrolled compared to my living room I was in before.

Absorbers will generally reduce reflections similar to traps but to a lesser extent and generally higher frequencies.

Diffusors basically bounce the sound off in a bunch of different directions rather than essentially having a 'hard line' reflect off a wall.

As for the toe in I can't answer that one. All my speakers have needed little to no toe in so I've always just assumed I needed panels directly on the back wall.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I've had it explained to me before.

Sounds like I could use an absorber for my high freqs (they get kinda sharp on some folk recordings/with acoustic guitar I think; they'd be my first instinct to treat). And then diffusors for bass. Hmm, so to pick which frequency I'm treating, do I align the padding with that part of the speaker i.e. treat the highs with an  absorber directly across from and appropriate size for the tweeter, and same for the bass driver, etc.?

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #12,390 of 41,128
You're officially above my pay grade there. :D

Quote:

Sounds like I could use an absorber for my high freqs (they get kinda sharp on some folk recordings/with acoustic guitar I think; they'd be my first instinct to treat). And then diffusors for bass. Hmm, so to pick which frequency I'm treating, do I align the padding with that part of the speaker i.e. treat the highs with an  absorber directly across from and appropriate size for the tweeter, and same for the bass driver, etc.?

At $500 to start I'd get a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and a Cambridge 551P Phono stage. You get a decent table, good cart, and the best budget phono stage I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back