Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #8,191 of 41,104
Quote:
Grado Sonata from 1998 (I just looked at the receipt).  Still pleasant, but will be replaced soon.
First gen Rega Brio is playing the part of the phono stage at the moment.  Meh, and will be replaced soon.
Bad color match.  Like, not even close.  It's a sad/darker blue, where as the Sonett is a happier/lighter blue.

Best part is, I like it a lot!  Been spinning vinyl since the moment I got it.  

Absolutely!

Real nice.  Maybe a tube phono stage coming?

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #8,192 of 41,104

Space saving in a college apartment. Built the shelf/desk-extender/headphone stand of cheap poplar, also the shelf the xbox/laptop sits on.

Setup: Gamma2 >> M-Audio AVS-30's >>HE-400. I need to build a desktop amp for here at school, since the receiver was too large to bring along

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #8,193 of 41,104
Quote:
What's your opinion of the HDJ2000? I love mine.

I was probably one of the early proponents of the HDJ-2000 here on head-fi. Definitely one of my favourites. Stock, I like them more than the usual culprits like the M50 or 840. Modded, even more so which evens out the bass hump and improves clarity. While a bit more expensive than the other DJ choices, you pay for the better build quality too. 

Quote:
What do you think of the speakers? I see they're $135 off.

As a set with the W-1 (which is also on sale), I think they are fantastic. I'm actually currently working on a review for the whole set along with the Icon2. 

The speakers by themselves, I would describe them like an Audio Technica AD700/900. Airiness to the sound, bass light, good texture but a bit soft in the upper reaches, separation excellent though again there's a bit of softness to the edges. I would not recommend the speakers just by themselves; they need a sub to fill out the sound. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #8,194 of 41,104
Quote:

As a set with the W-1 (which is also on sale), I think they are fantastic. I'm actually currently working on a review for the whole set along with the Icon2. 

The speakers by themselves, I would describe them like an Audio Technica AD700/900. Airiness to the sound, bass light, good texture but a bit soft in the upper reaches, separation excellent though again there's a bit of softness to the edges. I would not recommend the speakers just by themselves; they need a sub to fill out the sound. 

Interesting, I will definitely look at the speakers. Although the sub doesn't quite dig deep enough for my liking (Nu-Force states 50-150 hz response) so I would probably go with a different one.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #8,196 of 41,104
Added two new items to my bedroom rig. Can you guess what they are before seeing the second and third photos?

The first is a turtle lamp that I found at a garage sale a few years ago and decided to finally bring out.
 Sure it's not directly sound-related, but it has increased my enjoyment of my cans more than any recable ever did.

This is one of the most simple and humble works of a local artist who paints very vibrant and detailed scenes on feathers, and being a Poe fan I had to grab this from a gallery nearby. It sits on top of the right bedroom speaker. Again, it's not a sonic upgrade but it's made this new apartment feel more like home.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #8,197 of 41,104
Quote:

I was probably one of the early proponents of the HDJ-2000 here on head-fi. Definitely one of my favourites. Stock, I like them more than the usual culprits like the M50 or 840. Modded, even more so which evens out the bass hump and improves clarity. While a bit more expensive than the other DJ choices, you pay for the better build quality too.

I don't know about you, but I sometimes wish they'd have gone with a larger version of the HDJ1500's weird earpads for the HDJ2000 (though it would be utterly impractical). Besides that, I absolutely love them and think they're one of the least appreciated cans here on Head-Fi.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #8,198 of 41,104
Quote:
Interesting, I will definitely look at the speakers. Although the sub doesn't quite dig deep enough for my liking (Nu-Force states 50-150 hz response) so I would probably go with a different one.

I hesitate to even call the W-1 a sub. It's really more a woofer repurposed for low end duty. It does a decent job, but lacks the reach for the really low end grunting and starts to distort when you crank it up. At low levels though, and for not super-bassy music, it's very nice. It's really no bigger than a bookshelf speaker. I could feasibly tuck it in behind my desk, whereas I wouldn't be able to do the same with a full sized sub.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I sometimes wish they'd have gone with a larger version of the HDJ1500's weird earpads for the HDJ2000 (though it would be utterly impractical). Besides that, I absolutely love them and think they're one of the least appreciated cans here on Head-Fi.

I wonder if you could actually switch the pads. Personally I'd rather have circumaural pads, but some folks prefer on-ear. 

I did demo the HDJ-1500 the other day though, and was hugely disappointed. It felt like the entire lower half of the spectrum was missing. Maybe the store pair was defective... 

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #8,199 of 41,104

Moved my speakers onto my desk and and built a new computer XD

Running off of the Realtek 898 because the cheap (but quality) Corsair psu I went for doesn't have sufficient power on the +12 volt rail to power the Asus Essence STX I bought for the computer. Not sure whether to return it or wait till I can afford to upgrade the psu.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #8,200 of 41,104
Quote:

Moved my speakers onto my desk and and built a new computer XD

Running off of the Realtek 898 because the cheap (but quality) Corsair psu I went for doesn't have sufficient power on the +12 volt rail to power the Asus Essence STX I bought for the computer. Not sure whether to return it or wait till I can afford to upgrade the psu.

Mighty fine case there, i've got the same one 
wink.gif

...Woah same headphones too, are you me?

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #8,201 of 41,104
Quote:
Mighty fine case there, i've got the same one 
wink.gif

...Woah same headphones too, are you me?

Maybe
rolleyes.gif

lol, I couldn't help but wanna see what your running the K271 with since they're a little picky. I tried them with a D2+ once and all I'll say is that it loves Cowon players. Personally I want an X7, but the J3's is awesome! Lucky
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #8,202 of 41,104
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe
rolleyes.gif

lol, I couldn't help but wanna see what your running the K271 with since they're a little picky. I tried them with a D2+ once and all I'll say is that it loves Cowon players. Personally I want an X7, but the J3's is awesome! Lucky
biggrin.gif

Haha yeah they are a bit, they really dont like my old reciever, they sound great on the j3 and out of my E10 though 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #8,203 of 41,104
Hi!

That's my current setup.
I like to keep it simple, budget wise and flexible.

Superlux + iRiver makes my portable gear.

Besides iRiver, E-MU uses input of my laptop computer, Pioneer PD-S507 CD Player and occasionally TV set.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #8,204 of 41,104
Quote:
Hi!

That's my current setup.
I like to keep it simple, budget wise and flexible.

Superlux + iRiver makes my portable gear.

Besides iRiver, E-MU uses input of my laptop computer, Pioneer PD-S507 CD Player and occasionally TV set.

Good start. Are you using the Regal (or any other) regulated linear power supply with the E-MU 04040 USB? It enhanced mine; gave it more depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back