Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 21, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #7,801 of 41,103
Aug 23, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #7,805 of 41,103
Quote:

This forum seems to be the only one I frequent that this is a steadily recurring problem.

I dont mind it for threads like this, lets me see images from other pages without having to sift through
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #7,806 of 41,103
Quote:
I been playing around with the different headphone stands for the last 2 weeks or so. I never really hit on the look of one I liked. So last Wednesday, while sitting at my ugly, old, falling apart computer stand it came to me. Why not build a new desk and make the headphone stand part of it and, add a spot for amps and what not. So I spent the evening drawing up different desks and finally hit on one I kind of liked. So Friday off to the lumber store I went and started the building process. I am still 100% its what I want or will settle on, but its atleast functional and a heck of a lot better than what I had been using since moving the man cave from the upstairs to the dungeon....I mean basement......lol

Well anyway here is a couple pictures of the current listening station. Nothing really elaborate, but its functional and suites me well. At least for the time being. 

Pictures are taken from my iPhone and I am about the farthest thing from a photographer that you will ever find. Sorry for the crappy pics, but its the best I can do.

Now that is one swag setup.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #7,807 of 41,103
Aug 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #7,808 of 41,103
Things like that make me wish I had woodworking skills and the tools to do it. Hmm though my garage *does* have wiring for 220... but ugh I have enough time/money eating hobbies as it is. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #7,809 of 41,103
Quote:

How does your Sudgen amp sound with your 650's?

Not a Sugden Bro, it's a Meier Corda Cantate.2. My favorite amp for the HD600 (plus the RS1, and a K701 with old pads) so far. It's one of the most neutral combo among amps I've tried*. Curiously enough at a meet last weekend there was a very pronounced "hole" in the midrange which while visible in response graphs (I remember there's a dip somewhere, or maybe that was a Beyer 880?), but never heard it at home. The difference was the higher noise due to all the people there with other open headphones, plus I didn't bring my voltage regulator. Both could have contributed to it but I can't be 100% on it.

*Little Dot MkII (with a Marantz CD60, NOS DAC) - lacked a bit of drive/PRAT ; NOS DAC had the biggest soundstage with K701 though 
Ibasso PB1 (with a 5g iPod and Cowon S9) - a bit too warm ; some distortion with the Cowon
Burson HD160D (using internal DAC) - had that "live" feel to it, but can't use the iPad without a powered hub, and the volume control requires you to fix the digital gain on your CD rips or going from one to another may require you to work the volume control, and I'm not fond of it
fully discrete custom Class A amp (with an unknown DAC) - sounds like the Burson, but was a custom job worth more than the Cantate and the chassis was too large if it'll share a desk with a laptop, plus a DAC (can't stack, too hot)
super CMOY with 4x3.7v li-Ion batteries - drives like a desktop amp, but has a too sweet midrange bloom in the vocals

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #7,811 of 41,103
Quote:

New and only stationary rig!
Upgraded from HD600 with x-can v2 which have now found a new home on my fiancees head.
She thought I was crazy for spending so much on a pair of headphones but once she tried them on her face lit up and she understood what headphones was about..

Couldn't let her go back to some crappy low-fi headphones after that so she got my old rig :)

Biggest upgrade ever?
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #7,815 of 41,103
Quote:
Looks so much like a Sugden Headmaster from the quick glimpse at the picture.

Yep, kind of, but the Shanling chassis used by Meier has really pronounced corner pillars. The Sugden chassis has practical advantages though - when I rest the cans on the Cantate and pick it up it snags the hole on top, although I do it gently enough that I haven't scratched either. Still, if I pick it up straight off a flat surface, it wouldn't. Really need a proper headphone stand - the hook on the banana stand is too low the cable connecters squish on the bottom, but the top squishes the headband padding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back