Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jul 24, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #7,366 of 41,119
Quote:
Meanwhile, voltage has risen to dangerous levels in the main listening station
basshead.gif

How are you liking the Koss electrostats?

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #7,367 of 41,119
So do I need a DAC or can I just get a O2 amp and use it? Or would I need a HRT MusicStreamer? Sorry that may sound dumb but im trying to learn
redface.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #7,369 of 41,119
Quote:
So do I need a DAC or can I just get a O2 amp and use it? Or would I need a HRT MusicStreamer? Sorry that may sound dumb but im trying to learn
redface.gif

If you can afford it, get a DAC. The amp could be used out of a line out on your computer (or something else with a line out) but it won't be anywhere near it's full potential and may even only help minimally without a DAC. From what I've read I bet the HRT would be a fine choice, or you could go for an ODAC for a matching set :wink:

And headphone out is not the same as line out. The former is already amplified, so you'd be amplifying an amplified signal, so go with line out (unless headphone out is the absolute only thing you have, then I think 50% on that is the recommended volume). This only applies without a DAC though. The DAC would connect by USB, optical or coax, getting a digital signal that has no amplification, but would be converted into a line out that goes from it (the DAC) to your amp.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #7,371 of 41,119
If you can afford it, get a DAC. The amp could be used out of a line out on your computer (or something else with a line out) but it won't be anywhere near it's full potential and may even only help minimally without a DAC. From what I've read I bet the HRT would be a fine choice, or you could go for an ODAC for a matching set :wink:

And headphone out is not the same as line out. The former is already amplified, so you'd be amplifying an amplified signal, so go with line out (unless headphone out is the absolute only thing you have, then I think 50% on that is the recommended volume). This only applies without a DAC though. The DAC would connect by USB, optical or coax, getting a digital signal that has no amplification, but would be converted into a line out that goes from it (the DAC) to your amp.
which to get first?a amp or.adac?

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #7,372 of 41,119

The new Cambridge 851C being put through its paces with a fantastic sounding (recording as well as music) album. Also trying it as a transport for the Calyx DAC and I'll be testing USB implementations soon. 

The whole setup as of now. The HD800s normally sit in their box, but I moved it for the sake of the photos. 

----

Looking forward to getting my Line Router from Mapleshade to properly A/B these 2 DACs. I'll also be putting all this in a proper rack again once I get my turntable (if someone would buy my Calyx DAC, anyway).

Jul 24, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #7,373 of 41,119
Quote:

The new Cambridge 851C being put through its paces with a fantastic sounding (recording as well as music) album. Also trying it as a transport for the Calyx DAC and I'll be testing USB implementations soon. 

The whole setup as of now. The HD800s normally sit in their box, but I moved it for the sake of the photos. 

----

Looking forward to getting my Line Router from Mapleshade to properly A/B these 2 DACs. I'll also be putting all this in a proper rack again once I get my turntable (if someone would buy my Calyx DAC, anyway).

I am not even going to ask how much you like the Cavalli...
biggrin.gif
 What were you using as a CD transport before the 851 arrived?

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #7,374 of 41,119

My new setup arrived yesterday! :D Sounds Fantastic! Just need to make sure I don't get the cops called
wink.gif

Denon AVR-1312
Polk Monitor 30s
Velodyne VX-11
The computer is hooked up to the receiver via HDMI so I get support up to 96k/24bit 192k/24bit

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #7,376 of 41,119
Many people around here know I'm pretty vocal about my LF because Alex is a local guy for me. Gotta give those local builders and shops support! ...and I just really like the LF.

I used the Marantz SA8004 as a transport right after the Calyx DAC arrived, but I sold it soon after because I preferred the USB implementation of the Calyx. The transport part of the Cambridge is more impressive than the SA8004 as it's harder to tell a difference between the 2 inputs now.

Up until now I was just using USB from my MBP.

Quote:
I am not even going to ask how much you like the Cavalli...
biggrin.gif
 What were you using as a CD transport before the 851 arrived?

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #7,378 of 41,119
Quote:
If you got lots of wall space,try hanging the Billy horizontaly!!!
I know,sounds weird but looks great!

That's actually sounds very neat! I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks for the idea.

Quote:
ESP/950 Owners' Official Secret Fist-Bump That Doesn't Actually Exist (AKA EOOSF-BTDAE) activated!

You mean it's time to form the Secret Society of ESP-950 owners and start challenging the Stax Mafia?
biggrin.gif

Quote:
How are you liking the Koss electrostats?

I will reserve final judgement until I've had them for a month or two. But I think I've aquired enough experience in this hobby to say with some certianty that these are the beast headphones I've heard so far. There are several headphones that do some things, even many things, better than the ESP-950, but I've not seen/heard anything that managed a performance that is as balanced as the ESP-950. When I say "performance" I include non-sound related criteria such as wearing comfort - and the Koss simply excels in all areas. I've already given up on finding a suitable upgrade over the HD600... When I first put on the ESP-950 my jaw dropped because these sound EXACTLY like the HD600 where the frequency response is considered (which is, in my opinion, what a headphone should sound like). That's all to my ears only, of course, and does not necessarily apply to everyone.

Just keep in mind that the ESP-950 costs only ~ $700, including the amp. Therefore, it is lower mid-fi at the very best and will never perform nearly as well as the new, shiny, expensive flagship headphones.

wink.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #7,379 of 41,119
Quote:
You mean it's time to form the Secret Society of ESP-950 owners and start challenging the Stax Mafia?
biggrin.gif

Patience. We need Milwaukee to produce a new flagship electrostat first, then the war will have begun.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #7,380 of 41,119
They merely need to rise the ESP-950's price to something safely over $10'000, and voila! a new flagship headphone is born that easily bests the SR009. At least until Stax releases its next flagship made entirely from 99.9999999% pure unobtanium...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back