Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #6,574 of 41,132
Quote:
I LOVE the look of that turntable o.O  It doesn't look high end and expensive, just so...  DIFFERENT.  LOL

That is what it so great about finding gear in charity shops. I found a couple of great turntables over the years. You look for records and at times you see turntables. Older receivers add that special tone. Most of my life has been enjoying rigs like this. At the price they cost you can collect a couple of systems. Just remember capacitors can only have a 20 year lifespan at times! You also benefit from finding an electronic repair guy who is fair to check stuff out or repair stuff at a good price.

Every once-in-a-while you can find a great cartridge too on a turntable!

One great aspect of buying used gear is the price it costs keeps everything "fun". I remember before the big vinyl resurgence, you could buy Thorns TD-160s for $100.00 on E-Bay. It is kind of a rush getting new/old gear and finding it sounds great. I also found that there was a lot of "ear-tuning" going on, where it took me a couple hours of listening to a new/old rig, to be able to appreciate the new sound characteristics.  

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #6,575 of 41,132

My humble headfi station/bedside table

Pictured:
- Onkyo CS325 CD player/mini stereo
- JDSLabs CMoyBB
- Grado SR225i
- AKG Q701, both on an Ikea-nstein headphone stand
- Green Lanter, natch
- junk

Not pictured:
- My portable players, e.g. iPhone, iPods, iPad.

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #6,577 of 41,132
Quote:
That is what it so great about finding gear in charity shops. I found a couple of great turntables over the years. You look for records and at times you see turntables. Older receivers add that special tone. Most of my life has been enjoying rigs like this. At the price they cost you can collect a couple of systems. Just remember capacitors can only have a 20 year lifespan at times! You also benefit from finding an electronic repair guy who is fair to check stuff out or repair stuff at a good price.

One great aspect of buying used gear is the price it costs keeps everything "fun". I remember before the big vinyl resurgence, you could buy Thorns TD-160s for $100.00 on E-Bay. It is kind of a rush getting new/old gear and finding it sounds great. I also found that there was a lot of "ear-tuning" going on, where it took me a couple hours of listening to a new/old rig, to be able to appreciate the new sound characteristics.  

I got a free Dual CS-5000 (included in an entire stereo rig) with a Shure V15V-MR cart on it. My record store guy said it costs about $500. The stylus is bad though; is it worth risking $50 on a new (well technically NOS) stylus for it on ebay to see if the cartridge is any good? Last I remember I thought it sounded great, but who knows if I was hearing thigns right or what it sounds like compared to my new setup (even at $30, the fact it's new).

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #6,578 of 41,132
If you can post a photo of the Shure cartridge as there are a couple different types. As far as I know they are out of production but there are needle replacements. I'm no expert but the funny coincidence here is I found one at a thrift-shop. I used it for years. The Shure V15s are some of the best trackers ever made. You may upgrade your table and transfer the cart to something new. 

As all the older turntables out there I have seen, I never knew of Duals being that great, but most are lower line. Yours looks top of the line? It looks great. Get someone to help you set it up right, ground it, and enjoy. I would make it clear that the new needle for the Shure replacement really did work-out for other people first.

That is the best part about Head-Fi.........you have true knowledgeable  folks to get you correct info. I would go to Skylabs new thread about turntable set-up and even PM him about a replacement needle. If it is the correct replacement needle and gets you a new Shure sound it is worth $50.

Enjoy!
popcorn.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #6,579 of 41,132
Jun 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #6,580 of 41,132
Quote:
I got a free Dual CS-5000 (included in an entire stereo rig) with a Shure V15V-MR cart on it. My record store guy said it costs about $500. The stylus is bad though; is it worth risking $50 on a new (well technically NOS) stylus for it on ebay to see if the cartridge is any good? Last I remember I thought it sounded great, but who knows if I was hearing thigns right or what it sounds like compared to my new setup (even at $30, the fact it's new).

Looks like the table is a keeper!  Wow!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168386

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #6,581 of 41,132
Thanks for the tips.  I find vintage stuff for cheap and take it home.  I have done some of my own electronics work (on said vintage electronics (amps.))  I would really love to get a turntable though.  I really like vinyl from what I've seen of it.  Not to mention I just got a tube amp.  I mean, vinyl + tubes = drool, right?
Quote:

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #6,585 of 41,132
For your current cans I'd go with the Asgard. What are you future headphone plans?

I really don't think it would be worth it with my current cans.
There's a few headphones I'm considering at the moment, the HD600, HE500 and maybe even the LCD-2. For the last two I would have thought the Lyr would be better because of the higher power output.

Think I might also have a crack at building an ODAC and O2, should be fun.

Good times ahead. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back