Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 25, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #5,731 of 41,103

Quote:
Very nice, Austin...those balanced cables look fantastic. Who did those? ALO?

Custom made from Whiplash Audio. They're on par (and if not better) with ALO's cables, pretty darn cool.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #5,732 of 41,103
Those cables look so sweet. I love the look of aftermarket cables although they are definitely on the expensive side which is one thing holding me back from any aftermarket cable.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #5,733 of 41,103
There are a lot of companies driving prices down on great quality aftermarket cables. My favorite that I've used is my Q Cable. Practically weightless, flexible, customizable, and with a lot of color options. Plus, I've never had customer service as good as Steve's. 

Depending on how long you need them to be they can be quite affordable.

Quote:
Those cables look so sweet. I love the look of aftermarket cables although they are definitely on the expensive side which is one thing holding me back from any aftermarket cable.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #5,734 of 41,103

Quote:
 btw...the 60s and 80s are two of the craziest values in audio! :) 

Have to agree... too bad I sold mine.  May have to get another pair to Mod and keep!

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #5,735 of 41,103

Quote:

Have to agree... too bad I sold mine.  May have to get another pair to Mod and keep!

I know Grados aren't for everyone, but considering a pair of SR60s is like $79, it's one of the biggest no-brainers in audio, IMO. Im biased since I really love Grados, but when I first started up with this side of the hobby a few months ago, I was just buying a handful of headphones from some of the leading companies that were under $100. Even if someone doesn't care for the higher end Grados, it's really hard to find a better performer for $79.

This thread is awesome...I am really loving seeing pics of everyones headphone rigs. Good stuff!!

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #5,736 of 41,103

Quote:
There are a lot of companies driving prices down on great quality aftermarket cables. My favorite that I've used is my Q Cable. Practically weightless, flexible, customizable, and with a lot of color options. Plus, I've never had customer service as good as Steve's. 

They are cheaper than they used to be but it's still a bit of an investment when they are mostly for looks and build quality.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #5,737 of 41,103
Of course...

I bought mine because I wanted a longer, more flexible, less microphonic cable. I'm considering a second one (silver) to try a new flavor and to get one a bit shorter depending on my needs. One long and one short would be nice sometimes.

Quote:

Quote:

They are cheaper than they used to be but it's still a bit of an investment when they are mostly for looks and build quality.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #5,739 of 41,103
I was planning to be able to post an update with some new LCD-2s soon, but then Zu put their Omen speakers on sale for close to half off just for this week so I'm getting a pair of those instead.  LCD-2 to come after selling off some gear!

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #5,740 of 41,103

Quote:
Here ya go, not the best Set Up in the world but until I get some Fincial Aid checks [or a job] it's the best I got :3

>blowing financial aid checks on headphones
>ISHYGDDT

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #5,741 of 41,103
Apr 25, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #5,743 of 41,103

Quote:

I know Grados aren't for everyone, but considering a pair of SR60s is like $79, it's one of the biggest no-brainers in audio, IMO. Im biased since I really love Grados, but when I first started up with this side of the hobby a few months ago, I was just buying a handful of headphones from some of the leading companies that were under $100. Even if someone doesn't care for the higher end Grados, it's really hard to find a better performer for $79.

This thread is awesome...I am really loving seeing pics of everyones headphone rigs. Good stuff!!

The Grado SR60i sound is a huge difference from my beloved HD650s.  But that's what I find to be the most fun aspect of headphones, It is much more affordable (and space efficient) to buy multiple sets of headphones than speakers... The SR60s are absolutely amazing for $79, and I am really enjoying them with rock music in particular.  The E11 is a little warmer than my HDP and ipod headphone out, and I find it compliments the SR60 very well for my tastes.  The only problem is now I want to explore the higher end Grados (just as I have climbed up the Sennheiser product line over the years)...  Sorry about the wallet is right....

Apr 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #5,744 of 41,103

Quote:
As long as they are aware that they'll be paying that back @ 3 x it's worth (imagine a $200 ipod costing you well over $800 or more)... then it's your money... 

I used reimbursement for pay for my LCD-2s because it's money that I otherwise don't use at all.  Yay grants!

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #5,745 of 41,103
Here is mine. Older Technics su-g91 amp for the Polk speakers. Denon dcd-660 cd player tucked away in the right corner behind the Bottlehead crack with speedball feeding the HD-650s. With signal coming from the Emotiva xda-1 which is fed via optical out of my desktop. Sound is really nice trying to decide what the next upgrade is gonna be. Maybe Cables for the 650's and some decent interconnects? Or perhaps some new tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back