Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #4,411 of 41,119

Quote:
I came home to find an early birthday present on my chair!

I also have a pair of vintage Mordaunt Short MS20 speakers & Creek CAS4040 integrated amp on loan from a friend for a while.  
cool.gif

Nice. Happy Birthday!

I just bought a new MacBook Pro and I believe the logic board may need replacing (well documented issue). Less than a week old and all this after converting my extensive flac library to alac! Bummed.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #4,412 of 41,119
Thanks man, it's actually not for another ~45 days, but I'll take the Mac Mini.  
tongue_smile.gif

Configuring the "headless" mode right now and it's relatively pain free with another Mac in the house.  I imagine it would be a real headache with a PC & VNC client...I tried for 5 minutes before I gave up.  Now with my iMac I see the mini right in the finder bar as an optional screen.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #4,414 of 41,119
Quote:
dude, i think i'll probably forget to wish you happy birthday on ur actual birthday day, so,....

HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYY~!!!!!

Thx.

Quote:
I just bought a new MacBook Pro and I believe the logic board may need replacing (well documented issue). Less than a week old and all this after converting my extensive flac library to alac! Bummed.

I see I somehow missed this part of your post.  That blows.

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #4,415 of 41,119
Quote:
Thanks man, it's actually not for another ~45 days, but I'll take the Mac Mini.  
tongue_smile.gif

Configuring the "headless" mode right now and it's relatively pain free with another Mac in the house.  I imagine it would be a real headache with a PC & VNC client...I tried for 5 minutes before I gave up.  Now with my iMac I see the mini right in the finder bar as an optional screen.

Happy upcoming, and congrats on the new Mini! So the iMac is the monitor for it? How is the Mini connected to the iMac, USB or video or TB or?

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #4,416 of 41,119
This is still an issue? Not sure how much I want a MB Pro in that case...They're supposedly unveiling the revamp soon, but I kind of hate buying into new hardware at the start, too...Ugh...I really need a new laptop, and I was pretty set on a MB Pro, but there've been tales of 6+ LB replacements in a 2 year span.

Quote:
I see I somehow missed this part of your post.  That blows.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #4,417 of 41,119
Quote:
Happy upcoming, and congrats on the new Mini! So the iMac is the monitor for it? How is the Mini connected to the iMac, USB or video or TB or?

Thanks, the iMac is the main monitor for it yes, but they sit about 60 feet apart so it's really only for configuration.  The mini's screen is shared over the wifi network with the iMac.  I set it up last night to be able to boot & go, so I don't really need the monitor nearby.  I mainly plan to use my iPhone to control it.  Once the mini boots, it starts up iTunes or Fidelia & is ready to output to the Zodiac and go.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #4,418 of 41,119
My sub-600 dollar set up.
8m6BN.jpg

Desktop: HRT Music Streamer II -> 18V JRC4556 Cmoy -> Grado SR-325is
(AudioQuest interconnects, generic USB cable, Grado mini adapter)
Portable: 2nd gen iPod Touch -> 18V JRC4556 Cmoy -> Grado SR-325is
(FiiO L9 LOD)

300USD for headphones. 40USD for amp. 150USD for DAC. 60USD for cables.

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #4,421 of 41,119

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, the iMac is the main monitor for it yes, but they sit about 60 feet apart so it's really only for configuration.  The mini's screen is shared over the wifi network with the iMac.  I set it up last night to be able to boot & go, so I don't really need the monitor nearby.  I mainly plan to use my iPhone to control it.  Once the mini boots, it starts up iTunes or Fidelia & is ready to output to the Zodiac and go.

Wait, so you can use an iPhone to control the Mac Mini.  So are you just using your Mac Mini as a music server?

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #4,422 of 41,119
Basically, but now that I have my phone set up to be the main monitor I'll be using it for downloads, burning, browsing (it's faster than my phone's browser) and pretty much anything else I'd use a computer for.  

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #4,423 of 41,119

Quote:
Basically, but now that I have my phone set up to be the main monitor I'll be using it for downloads, burning, browsing (it's faster than my phone's browser) and pretty much anything else I'd use a computer for.  

Is this an app that you are using to do such a thing?  It sounds very cool and I would love to try it myself.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #4,424 of 41,119
LogMeIn installed on both, probably not the most secure thing since it's web based, but it works really well.  Go ahead and PM me if you have any other questions, I don't want to take over this thread.  

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #4,425 of 41,119
Just wanted to throw out another +1 to Travis at Amped Up - Contacted him about his amp having a bit too much gain for my tastes (low volume is biased towards one ear, which is pretty impossible to avoid on Cmoy amps (we're talking like, 6-7 o'clock kind of range. Really low.) but the gain is so high that it's difficult to get it to work with my iPod without it being uncomfortably loud or extremely low in volume and as such imbalanced.

So, he's going to lower the gain for me. (one advantage of the JRC4556 is it really works with any gain, from what I've read, without becoming unstable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back