Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #1,756 of 41,103
You simply can't defend the R10 for looking good.  Yes, looking unique.  But not fashionable.  It is an ugly headphone, despite its sound.
Simple fact is, most large headphones are ugly to the general public.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #1,757 of 41,103

Quote:

The stand is a nice shape, but it's a horrible design for your nice stax O2.
Look at how much it's compressing the ear pads!  Not a good design for the O2 at all!

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #1,758 of 41,103
Quote:
What an ugly looking phone. no offense

Quote:
You simply can't defend the R10 for looking good.  Yes, looking unique.  But not fashionable.  It is an ugly headphone, despite its sound.
Simple fact is, most large headphones are ugly to the general public.

I don't think the R10 is ugly.  It's far from the prettiest headphone I have ever owned.  But it IS the best SOUNDING headphone I have ever owned...and I buy headphones for the sound, of course.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #1,759 of 41,103

Just a quick photo taken today. I was waiting for WA2, but since it is not gonna arrive any time soon, I decided to show what is there now and will post another one when I get WA2 - in a few months :frowning2:

Willa lso have to think about power and changing the cable setup.

Notice the windolene? Prepare to buy them in bulk if you want to have a few glass furniture pieces :wink:

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #1,760 of 41,103

Quote:
The king? seriously? What is the type and brand of that uxxxx looking king? The box besides it looks cool but the headphone looks oldish and weird.

Okay Mr. firgoe, it's time for an audiophile 101 lesson Head-Fi style.  That headphone you so graciously mocked is the Sony MDR-R10.  So?  What's so special about it, you ask?  It's one of the best dynamic headphones produced ever, still besting today's top dynamics such as the HD800 or the T1 for example.  It is no longer in production and as such is very rare, with units going over three grand easy.  If you ever get a chance to listen to one, you'll hear quite quickly why the R10 is so revered despite its admittedly unique looks.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #1,761 of 41,103

Quote:
Okay Mr. firgoe, it's time for an audiophile 101 lesson Head-Fi style.  That headphone you so graciously mocked is the Sony MDR-R10.  So?  What's so special about it, you ask?  It's one of the best dynamic headphones produced ever, still besting today's top dynamics such as the HD800 or the T1 for example.  It is no longer in production and as such is very rare, with units going over three grand easy.  If you ever get a chance to listen to one, you'll hear quite quickly why the R10 is so revered despite its admittedly unique looks.

it looks like a 50's pin-up girl to me. the curves, the voluptuous and meandering shimmer, the.. i came.

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #1,762 of 41,103
wow.... 3 grands I wander how good it sounds, it's an example that outer look can be deceiving. Now i gotta apologize to the king.

HD800 and T1 physically more attractive tho.

Quote:

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #1,763 of 41,103

Quote:
It's a Sony R10. You shall be executed for treason!

eek.gif
Ultrasone 8's and LCD-2

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #1,764 of 41,103

Quote:
I don't think the R10 is ugly.  It's far from the prettiest headphone I have ever owned.  But it IS the best SOUNDING headphone I have ever owned...and I buy headphones for the sound, of course.

I buy headphones cuz of da bling innit*

*This message was was brought to you by Skullcandy.com

Aug 18, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #1,765 of 41,103

Actually I bet there hasn't been pair of R-10's sold for less than $5K in the last couple years.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,767 of 41,103

Quote:
$5k? is the driver made from gold?

No, bacteria.  The amount of work and ridiculous materials put into the R10s is part of the fame.  Also, they look like a pair of D7000s or DX1000s that got tumors.  Pretty they are not, but they are supposedly the greatest dynamic headphone ever.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #1,768 of 41,103
     Quote:
wow.... 3 grands I wander how good it sounds, it's an example that outer look can be deceiving. Now i gotta apologize to the king.

HD800 and T1 physically more attractive tho.

No worries, the King has informed me that he's forgiven you.
wink_face.gif

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #1,769 of 41,103

Quote:
No, bacteria.  The amount of work and ridiculous materials put into the R10s is part of the fame.  Also, they look like a pair of D7000s or DX1000s that got tumors.  Pretty they are not, but they are supposedly the greatest dynamic headphone ever.

I'm not exactly sure but I think the drivers diaphragms are made out of cellulose produced by some sort of bacteria? Must have been crazy hard to have quality control on these things, and thus probably the high cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back