Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #1,216 of 41,134

Quote:
Here is a couple of piccies of mine

For the next few days at least this is my current setup.  

Source:                O2 Joggler running Squeezeplay and modified asound.conf, LittleDot DAC_1
Amp:                    LittleDot MkV
Headphones:       Sennheiser HD650, Koss Pro4AA

I have gotten myself a vintage headphone buzz after my restoration of the Koss 4AA (Details here...), so I have just bought a pair of Koss ESP/6a that are in need of repair.  I am looking forward to hopefully restoring them and adding them to the family.

The Joggler is a much hacked item with additional cooling (Details here...), and a USB output added to it (Details here...).

Not the most imaginative choice for my main HP set, but the LittleDot/HD650 combination is pretty awesome to my ears!

Man, I read that 4AA post a while ago. I'd forgotten all about it until right now. Great work on those.

May 27, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #1,218 of 41,134

Complex,

How sweet that setup looks!!!  The sound has to be killer!!   PWD and Woo5 and that rack is sweet too.
Quote:
So I got couple boxes today:

May 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #1,221 of 41,134

Quote:
Man, I read that 4AA post a while ago. I'd forgotten all about it until right now. Great work on those.

Thanks, it was pretty enjoyable to do, and skill wise well within the reach of all but the most ham fisted of amateurs...  

Quote:

That was a nice read, like a trip down memory lane. I had a set of those back in the day. How do they hold up to your HD650 sound-wise?

Quote:
Koss Pro 4AA's!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I haven't seen those for years.  How do they sound?

Ok Pro 4AA sound wise.. If you imagine the HD650's but slightly better... The Pro 4AA's sound nothing like that!  
dt880smile.png

What they do have in their favour is that they sound solid, reasonably musical and controlled.  What goes against them is they sound enclosed and slightly conservative in their presentation.  Bass is not in the same league as the HD650's.  They go fairly low, but in this region the HD650's sound is effortless and free flowing, the Pro4AA sounds limited in comparison.  I should add that a few weeks after writing up the Pro 4AA restoration I added some animal wool to the cups of the Koss phones.  The bass was light and echoing a bit, the wool controlled this, but I could perhaps play around a little with this to see if I can improve this.

The Koss phones alack a little finesse on the delicate highs.  

The HD650's on the other hand demonstrate just how far the technology has moved.  They produce a very free flowing silky effortless sound and this source/amp/phone combination almost dares you to find more challenging music to test it.  I was listening to Goldie's Timeless album last night and the HD650's can drive through a low note whilst at the same time present all the detail of a brush on a symbol.  A real pleasure to listen to.

May 29, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #1,222 of 41,134
my simple headphone set-up. i'm also horrible at picture taking. if curious.

Top: 1983 hitachi HA-2 amp

middle: 1972 Sansui 5000x receiver

bottom: 1985 yamaha R-9 class A receiver

Headphones: akg 240 sextetts LP(600ohm), akg 240 studios(55ohms)

DSC00952.jpg

May 30, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #1,223 of 41,134

Sorry for the terrible picture quality. Components get swapped in and out of this setup almost daily, but this is how it has been for about a week now.

LEFT: Squeezebox Touch sitting on a Violectric V200 sitting on the Resonessence Labs Invicta

RIGHT: Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2 sitting on the Anedio D1

Headphones don't really fit in the shot. I'm currently enjoying the W1000 and W2002 with the Svetlana, UM Merlin straight from the Anedio, HD800 from the Invicta, and my Orthos from the Violectric. 

May 30, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #1,225 of 41,134
Svetlana looks great. I didn't know they sell them here in the US.

May 31, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #1,230 of 41,134
I in no way claim to be a good photographer. :wink:

The full listening area.  I thought running the firewire cable under the couch for convenient access was a pretty decent idea.  Actually, I just ran the Apple AC adapter under there after taking these pictures. :)

Comfiest.  Couch.  EVER! :D

And, just because, the POV shot:

Listening to an Edition 8 while watching an Elite Kuro = entertainment bliss. 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back