Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 30, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #421 of 41,128

Quote:
Maybe I am being thick here - but I have a question for those who have shared pics of their rigs with Mac minis...I currently stream my tunes from my Macbook Pro to an Airport Express - then on to my gear (DacMagic, LDMKIV, Headphones etc.). Because of the amount of music I have I keep it on an external drive which requires me to hook the drive to the Macbook Pro. In some of these set-ups - there is a Mac Mini (and an iPad controlling it prob. via the remote app) - but the mini isn't hooked to a monitor (at least not that I can see). How does that work - how do you see what's on the mini (i.e. music files) without a monitor? Is it simply functioning as a Music server that the iPad (or iPhone) controls? Hopefully this makes sense to someone... 

All you need to do is turn on Screen Sharing in your Sharing prefs on the Mac Mini, etc. Then you'll see the remote Mac in your sidebar of a Finder window from another Mac on the same network. Then click on Share Screen... Easy peasy. This uses the standard VNC protocol. Alternatively, you can turn on Remote Management if you're using Apple Remote Desktop to control the remote computer. Furthermore, if you turn on Remote Login as well you turn on what is also known as SSH in the Unix/Linux world. This allows for a secure and encrypted tunnel to your remote client. I do this to a Mac Mini hooked up to my Samsung HDTV. Sometimes I'm watching normal TV, but want to access the Mini so I use Screen Sharing to do so. Hope that helps...

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #422 of 41,128
The free remote app will allow you to control itunes via any iphone or ipad. It also exists for android phones. I have Itunes in the startup items so I don't need to fire up my tv to listen to music on my mac mini.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #423 of 41,128
The Pure i20 looks interesting,  Built in DAC and digital output to go to an external DAC AND video outs all for $99.  Hmmmmm...I'm a little skeptical, but curious enough to risk a c-note.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #424 of 41,128
Jan 30, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #425 of 41,128
There is also the Cambridge Audio iD100, which is a very nice home dock with coax, toslink, and AES/EBU outs, and a nice remote, for $299.  I have the original Wadia, and the Cambridge is much more versatile (like works with iPad!), and much cheaper than the new Wadia ($289 for the Cambridge).

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #426 of 41,128

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I am being thick here - but I have a question for those who have shared pics of their rigs with Mac minis...I currently stream my tunes from my Macbook Pro to an Airport Express - then on to my gear (DacMagic, LDMKIV, Headphones etc.). Because of the amount of music I have I keep it on an external drive which requires me to hook the drive to the Macbook Pro. In some of these set-ups - there is a Mac Mini (and an iPad controlling it prob. via the remote app) - but the mini isn't hooked to a monitor (at least not that I can see). How does that work - how do you see what's on the mini (i.e. music files) without a monitor? Is it simply functioning as a Music server that the iPad (or iPhone) controls? Hopefully this makes sense to someone... 

All you need to do is turn on Screen Sharing in your Sharing prefs on the Mac Mini, etc. Then you'll see the remote Mac in your sidebar of a Finder window from another Mac on the same network. Then click on Share Screen... Easy peasy. This uses the standard VNC protocol. Alternatively, you can turn on Remote Management if you're using Apple Remote Desktop to control the remote computer. Furthermore, if you turn on Remote Login as well you turn on what is also known as SSH in the Unix/Linux world. This allows for a secure and encrypted tunnel to your remote client. I do this to a Mac Mini hooked up to my Samsung HDTV. Sometimes I'm watching normal TV, but want to access the Mini so I use Screen Sharing to do so. Hope that helps..

Quote:
The free remote app will allow you to control itunes via any iphone or ipad. It also exists for android phones. I have Itunes in the startup items so I don't need to fire up my tv to listen to music on my mac mini.

Thanks guys - this makes complete sense now. Bacci - I use the Remote app now and love it - I was stumped on how to manage the files on the mini (i.e rip new cds, metadata etc.) without a monitor but forgot about the Screen Sharing option - that's a very simple solution. I'm thinking a Mac Mini in the future may be a great idea as a place to keep a Master Library. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #427 of 41,128
I never saw my audio hardware work this way! That's a nice explanation you gave me.

One last last question (because I know I'm probably wasting your time): You told me that you would connect the DAC to the MP3 player, then the Amp to the DAC, then the headphones to the AMP, so this way...

Headphones > AMP > DAC > MP3

Why would this work? Since it's digital audio?

Headphones > MP3

So MP3 players already have a DAC integrated? then it would be Analog audio to Analog audio?

Hi again. I know some other people gave some nice explanations, but I figured I'd try to clarify things a bit.

For this example, I'll use an iPod to make things simpler. Now an iPod has a built in DAC which converts the MP3 files you play to analog audio. Some devices, such as those mentioned above, can bypass this DAC and do their own conversion. These devices in conjunction with the iPod are known as a digital transport. A digital transport is the first step in the audio chain.

The next step in the iPod's audio reproduction cycle is the amplification. This is what allows your headphones to be driven by the newly created analog audio, and also what allows volume control to work. This new amplified signal is what drives your headphones directly.

Now it is possible to bypass this internal amplifier using something called a Line-Out Dock or "LOD". This puts out what we audio people call a "line-level" analog signal, which is a constant level ready for amplification. It is this level that comes out of the DAC and goes into the amplifier in your iPod, or whatever amplifier you choose with a line out dock.

Now it may be confusing that digital sources all seem to output analog audio, so here's a brief description of the outputs of players.

Digital formats include Optical TOSLINK, Coaxial, and USB. (Optical TOSLINK and coaxial are, in fact, the same format, known as SPDIF, but that is unimportant at this point.) A device that plugs into any of these ports (which may look like a standard phono plug, but generally colored orange, or else have a red "glow" from the optical LED) is going to have to convert the digital audio to analog.

Anything that uses standard Red/Black/White RCA outputs, 3.5mm and 1/4" headphone jacks, XLR connectors (barring some professional DACs) is using analog audio. These are used for the inputs for amplifiers and the outputs for amps.

The confusion comes in that most people use DACs/amps in the same box, and that we tend to separate them here at Head-Fi.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, shoot me a PM so we don't take this thread further off topic.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #428 of 41,128
The rig in its current state

I'm so happy with the rig i've upgraded every cable and power leads as the final icing on the cake. The power leads have just arrived and expecting a package from Whiplash Audio sometime this week containing USB, Custom RCA and HD800 cables.

Here it is in its "Current State"

PS Just figured out i can use a guitar stand as a Headphone stand!!

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #429 of 41,128

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #431 of 41,128

Quote:
Quote:

I was about to post mine but after seeing yours. no way.

kudos

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yes beautiful setup BluFalcon.

Thanks, guys.  That was a rather modest desk-side head-fi station that also doubles as my family room entertainment center (display and speakers not shown obviously).  My audio specific system is set up in the garage/ home gym (below), but I don't use headphones when I'm jamming out in here.

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #432 of 41,128

Yeah, went for a pair of Virtual Dynamics Power Cords, highly recommended by RIP Patrick82 ..... And a few others thank god

The camera angle doesn't do my new stand justice, the foam on the stand and the material of the HD800 headband really grip each other well and the headphones sit nicely in the middle of the head rack.

Just ordered a second stand in chrome so my Telecaster can get the one in the pic back. Will post a final pic when the rest of the cables turn up

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #433 of 41,128
Simple, but here it is:

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #435 of 41,128

Quote:
Here's pics of my current set-up:

Is that *gasp* a stock cable on those dt880s? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back