Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 11, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #38,641 of 41,119
Wow!!!

is that a recent explosion re the size of your collection? It’s getting serious again :)

how do the raals fit in/compare to the rest?
The Raals are my favourites at the moment as they are really speaker like(says a non speaker person) and also very comfortable. As for the others, I wanted to try the Empyrean again, having sold my first pair within a few days because they were too dark for me. I can appreciate them now more and probably much more should I ever get the angled alcantara pads. I needed to know how the Utopia 22 compares to the OG and I prefer the latter…I know that now.
All headphones are for sale atm on our local TradeMe site…

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #38,642 of 41,119
All headphones are for sale atm on our local TradeMe site

Another surprise - Are you planning to keep any of them?

or moving away from headphones altogether or to new ones? Or happy to rotate the collection when there is a buyer?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #38,643 of 41,119
The Raals are my favourites at the moment as they are really speaker like(says a non speaker person) and also very comfortable. As for the others, I wanted to try the Empyrean again, having sold my first pair within a few days because they were too dark for me. I can appreciate them now more and probably much more should I ever get the angled alcantara pads. I needed to know how the Utopia 22 compares to the OG and I prefer the latter…I know that now.
All headphones are for sale atm on our local TradeMe site…
TradeMe?
Are you a Kiwi?

Sep 11, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #38,644 of 41,119
Wow! Very fortunate to have such a nice setup. Care to share the info on the diffusers or any other hidden tricks?

Thanks, the diffusers are from Vicoustic. In terms of tricks or tips, hard to say, other than experimentation is key.

Read all the reputable speaker setup theories, but don't assume any of these theories are universally accurate, because none of them are, far from it. Room dimensions, speaker type and design, etc. all present too many variables for one universal solution so read all the experts and take their advice with a large asterisk.

Try as many set up options as you can, and listen and tweak, toe-in, sitting "inside" the triangle, etc.. Even if you think you found nirvana, just put down some tape on the floor and keeping trying other setup options. I personally prefer to use minimalistic music as it is easier to focus on different sonic elements. Once you get speakers in a position that is optimal to your ears, get a laser leveler/laser measurement device that can project a dot on your rear wall, put the device on top of your speaker, and measure the position of that projected laser dot, so you can make sure the tweeters are precisely aimed (uneven floors need to be compensated for with footers or the tweeters on each speaker can be aimed in a different position, even if front, side, toe in are all identical measurements) and dial everything in to within centimeters or even millimeters. Experimentation is free, which is awesome. Just take your time and be patient.

As an alternative, diffusers can also be placed in first or second reflection points to make your room sound larger than it is. This ultimately may or may not work for you, but if you have diffusers, it is definitely worth trying, but there are trade-offs.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #38,645 of 41,119
Another surprise - Are you planning to keep any of them?

or moving away from headphones altogether or to new ones? Or happy to rotate the collection when there is a buyer?
Nobody seems to be interested in the Raal, so that’s good. Would like to keep them. Keen on selling Utopia and Empyrean and getting a better DAC with the money…having sold the Lampizator.

Sep 11, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #38,646 of 41,119
TradeMe?
Are you a Kiwi?
Not really…just live in New Zealand. Hard core German here…even after 20 years Aotearoa.

Sep 12, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #38,648 of 41,119
No, but just go to TradeMe and put in Utopia or Empyrean. From there you can see my other listings. Basically all in the photo is for sale, also some cables etc.
Also interested in trade for a good dac.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #38,650 of 41,119
Man's Tower !
IMG_0132.jpg

Sep 12, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #38,651 of 41,119
Sep 12, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #38,653 of 41,119
IMG_1618.jpeg

My couch with an M1 MacBook Air with whatever headphone/IEM I feel like using. They are listed in my forum signature. I currently feel that the headphone jack on the MacBook is plenty, especially for all my easy to drive headphones/IEM's. I just grabbed this $8 laptop lap desk thing hoping to make using the laptop on the couch a more comfortable thing. I don't have a desk and I have always liked using headphones on the couch anyway.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #38,655 of 41,119
No headphone audio press awards, but in this configuration
23E83489-662C-41EC-888C-49010137660B.jpeg
a hearty endorsement from the owner of the Krusty Krab
006D1941-305A-4BCB-B150-E20AA2B6A53E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back