Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 6, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #34,426 of 41,153
It took me awhile to learn it, but sometimes the simpler setups are still really nice

IMG_9643.jpeg

Sep 6, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #34,427 of 41,153
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021]
I gotta ask, since I’ve seen this so many times…lol, but you do know “FTFY” was a term created before 2021, right? (and was most certainly created by somebody else). Unless, I’m missing something.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #34,428 of 41,153
Dang, did you spend your whole budget on the DAC?!
General speaking, there are three approaches of price matching in building a system:

1, costly dac + cheap amp:
In most cases in this formula, the dac is highly detailed and analytical normally with strong house sound (colorization), making the less detailed that is less colored sounding and cheaper amp better match to get the rather balanced and smooth sound for music enjoyment.

Examples: Rockana Wavedream, Mojo Mystique

2, cheap dac + costly amp:
Under this circumstance, the amp must be the strong point with superb imaging, stage and tonality so that it doesn't need to reply on a dac to add anything to reach high resolution.

Examples: Eksonic T2, Woo Wa234 & 3SE, Hifiman Shangri La SR

3, costly dac + costly amp:
Commonly found in submit hi systems, in this scenario, the dac doesn't force micro details but with three dimensionality as well as the least coloration. The amp is a giant monster with top quality and killer competence:

Examples: Soulnote 3 Series, DCS

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #34,429 of 41,153
I gotta ask, since I’ve seen this so many times…lol, but you do know “FTFY” was a term created before 2021, right? (and was most certainly created by somebody else). Unless, I’m missing something.
It's a long-running joke.

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #34,430 of 41,153
In most cases in this formula, the dac is highly detailed and analytical normally with strong house sound (colorization), making the less detailed that is less colored sounding and cheaper amp better match to get the rather balanced and smooth sound for music enjoyment.
This is interesting. I thought the less expensive amps introduced more color and artifacts and that the best didn't alter the signal besides increasing the gain. Not that the amp in question is necessarily cheap, but in relation to the mojo it's several tiers down the ladder. Very different, people usually skimp on the DAC if anything.

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #34,431 of 41,153
This is interesting. I thought the less expensive amps introduced more color and artifacts and that the best didn't alter the signal besides increasing the gain. Not that the amp in question is necessarily cheap, but in relation to the mojo it's several tiers down the ladder. Very different, people usually skimp on the DAC if anything.
There has been a saying, mid fi chases details, submit fi seeks flavors (colorization with a neat name of house sound), which could be true for so many gears, and cables but with exceptions as well, as Soulnote 3 Series which is the brand with least coloration to my ears at submit fi level. US doesn't have any soulnote distributor till this summer. It is definitely the dac to watch!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #34,432 of 41,153
And tubes fix everything :)
My cheat is this: Burr Brown DAC's have a good 'Hi-Fi' sound signature to my ear. Take a cheap BB DAC and run it through a nice tube. I've got an Xduoo MT-603 tube buffer with a lovely '62 Blackburn Mullard sitting in it... warm and smooth. I'm putting that between an FX-Audio DAC SQ5 (PCM1794) and an SMSL SH-6 for the amp. All up about $350, but it should sound very decent. Just need to get that amp... after my next DAP purchase :)

Sep 7, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #34,433 of 41,153
General speaking, there are three approaches of price matching in building a system:

Examples: Rockana Wavedream, Mojo Mystique

2, cheap dac + costly amp:
Under this circumstance, the amp must be the strong point with superb imaging, stage and tonality so that it doesn't need to reply on a dac to add anything to reach high resolution.

Examples: Eksonic T2, Woo Wa234 & 3SE, Hifiman Shangri La SR

3, costly dac + costly amp:
Commonly found in submit hi systems, in this scenario, the dac doesn't force micro details but with three dimensionality as well as the least coloration. The amp is a giant monster with top quality and killer competence:

Examples: Soulnote 3 Series, DCS
While detailed, I would hardly deem the sound from Mojo Audio EVO Mystique to be ‘analytical’ let alone colourised: … natural … organic.

Sep 7, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #34,436 of 41,153
Sep 7, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #34,438 of 41,153
I auditioned Violectric short time ago (the HPA V550 and the DHA V226): They are both amazing. The sound quality was great, they are very powerful and the build quality is amazing. I guess your HPA V200 is all of that, too :)
AND even though the headphone ‘outs’ are SE, I can still use the V200 back XLR ‘ins’ from the DAC for higher S/N ratio and greater voltage for difficult headphones such as Beyer DT880 (600 ohms).

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #34,439 of 41,153
That is the ironic part, dac create the sound, amplifier just amplify it.
Agree
I was turned off by the music I was getting out of my system even after getting good headphones and amp and it all came together once I got the DAC of my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back