Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 23, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #28,606 of 41,132
Do u like it? The spirit torino..

Hi @Roasty, yes I like the Valkyria very much :L3000: I have sold my Susvara and RAAL SR1a because they did not get much headtime over my beloved AB-1266, and I have no regrets at all ... I am confident that with the Valkyria things are going to be quite different, as they are more different sounding hence complementary to the Abyss :wink:

valkyria-and-abyss.jpg

May 23, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #28,607 of 41,132
Hi @Roasty, yes I like the Valkyria very much :L3000: I have sold my Susvara and RAAL SR1a because they did not get much headtime over my beloved AB-1266, and I have no regrets at all ... I am confident that with the Valkyria things are going to be quite different, as they are more different sounding hence complementary to the Abyss :wink:

valkyria-and-abyss.jpg

Wow! That says a lot! The Valkyria must be something fantastic! Enjoy man.. They look pretty special indeed.

May 23, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #28,608 of 41,132
Here's the latest state of my ever evolving setup but I do think that it will now stay this way for a while - well, at least the next several months! Haha. Kind of focused on getting mobile now that we are emerging out of the pandemic - well, at least here in the US. The newest member of the family is the Abyss Diana Phi along with the Woo Audio WA11, which I essentially got to take the Abyss House Sound with me wherever I go as well as use in the office.

Other changes have primarily been in tweaking the existing Chord HMS/TT2/TToby with JPS Superconductor cables (HP, RCA interconnects and USB) and batteries for the Chord stack. This has made a huge change in the overall sound quality that I did not expect. The overall sound is now much more analog and lush sounding with zero noise and pitch black background while maintaining the clarity and transparency that the Chord stack delivers.

I use the TToby exclusively to drive the 1266 TC now while using the Audiophonics LPA-S400ET Purifi amp to drive the RAAL SR1a and the Buchardt S400 speakers. The TToby driving the TC - to my ears - is a major sonic improvement over driving the TC from the TT2. The extra power reserves of current (not mere wattage) seem to do something magical in terms of greatly expanding the soundstage in all directions - especially depth - while improving the imaging and pinpoint placement of the instruments and the voice within it.

I'm now using the RAVPower batteries to power the HMS and TT2 and a Jackery 1000w battery for the TToby and Audiophonics power amps. The RAVPower batteries - by completely eliminating RFI/EMI noise inherent in mains power from the front end - have really smoothened out the highs while adding body to the mids. The MBP is also running on external batteries (three which I rotate every other day) and the Jackery has also wiped out any hint of hiss and background noise from the power amps. And, yes, these batteries will also allow me to take this rig with me on my upcoming RV trip as well as other outdoor outings.

I used to be a skeptic when it came to cables but the JPS Superconductor cables (the HP cables for the 1266 TC and the Diana Phi, RCA interconnects between the TT2 and TToby, and the USB from the MBP to HMS) have made a significant all-around improvement to the overall SQ. The Chord stack now sounds completely different and much better than what I had before optimizing with the JPS SC cables and the batteries. Power and cables really do matter. They greatly enhance what you have now although this will depend on the quality of the gear one has.

The Abyss Diana Phi is fantastic. It retains most of the positive qualities of the 1266 TC in a very compact and comfortable package. No, it's not quite the TC and is priced accordingly but, for its form factor and portability, it really is amazing. It's more intimate and balanced sounding than the TC and, for some, this may be more desirable than the hugeness and the overwhelming (some would say bombastic) wow factor that the TC is known for.

Having owned the LCD-4, I can appreciate the more intimate soundstage and the warm mid-centric tonality. It's like the difference between listening in a large concert hall or arena and a small auditorium or chamber/club kind of setting. Being a live music aficionado who attends concerts ranging from colossal Beethoven/Wagner presentations at the spectacular Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA to intimate jazz trio/quartet shows at a club like the Baked Potato in Studio City that sits around 50 people, I've found that different headphones present different types of listening "environments". It's why I expect to have several different HPs as well as several different amps (including a tube amp, eventually) because they each provide a very different sonic flavor, vibe and character. One HP or amp simply cannot cover all genres, styles and sounds equally well.

So this is where the setup stands for now. The Susvara is next on my HP list and will complement the TC, SR1a and Diana very well. Then I know I'll want to add a tube amp/preamp to complement the SS amps. Having been a guitar player who swore by tube guitar amps for 40+ years, I know what tubes bring to the sound. There is nothing quite like it. I'm heavily leaning toward the WA33 JPS Edition right now but that's about a year out and who knows how things will develop by then. This audiophile journey always takes you in unexpected directions. :L3000:

IMG_2268.jpeg
IMG_2269.jpeg
IMG_2270.jpeg
IMG_2271.jpeg
IMG_2272.jpegIMG_2273.jpegIMG_2274.jpegIMG_2275.jpeg
What a great post, well written and great pictures, not to mention a stunning system. Thank you!!

May 23, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #28,609 of 41,132
Here's the latest state of my ever evolving setup but I do think that it will now stay this way for a while - well, at least the next several months! Haha. Kind of focused on getting mobile now that we are emerging out of the pandemic - well, at least here in the US. The newest member of the family is the Abyss Diana Phi along with the Woo Audio WA11, which I essentially got to take the Abyss House Sound with me wherever I go as well as use in the office.

Other changes have primarily been in tweaking the existing Chord HMS/TT2/TToby with JPS Superconductor cables (HP, RCA interconnects and USB) and batteries for the Chord stack. This has made a huge change in the overall sound quality that I did not expect. The overall sound is now much more analog and lush sounding with zero noise and pitch black background while maintaining the clarity and transparency that the Chord stack delivers.

I use the TToby exclusively to drive the 1266 TC now while using the Audiophonics LPA-S400ET Purifi amp to drive the RAAL SR1a and the Buchardt S400 speakers. The TToby driving the TC - to my ears - is a major sonic improvement over driving the TC from the TT2. The extra power reserves of current (not mere wattage) seem to do something magical in terms of greatly expanding the soundstage in all directions - especially depth - while improving the imaging and pinpoint placement of the instruments and the voice within it.

I'm now using the RAVPower batteries to power the HMS and TT2 and a Jackery 1000w battery for the TToby and Audiophonics power amps. The RAVPower batteries - by completely eliminating RFI/EMI noise inherent in mains power from the front end - have really smoothened out the highs while adding body to the mids. The MBP is also running on external batteries (three which I rotate every other day) and the Jackery has also wiped out any hint of hiss and background noise from the power amps. And, yes, these batteries will also allow me to take this rig with me on my upcoming RV trip as well as other outdoor outings.

I used to be a skeptic when it came to cables but the JPS Superconductor cables (the HP cables for the 1266 TC and the Diana Phi, RCA interconnects between the TT2 and TToby, and the USB from the MBP to HMS) have made a significant all-around improvement to the overall SQ. The Chord stack now sounds completely different and much better than what I had before optimizing with the JPS SC cables and the batteries. Power and cables really do matter. They greatly enhance what you have now although this will depend on the quality of the gear one has.

The Abyss Diana Phi is fantastic. It retains most of the positive qualities of the 1266 TC in a very compact and comfortable package. No, it's not quite the TC and is priced accordingly but, for its form factor and portability, it really is amazing. It's more intimate and balanced sounding than the TC and, for some, this may be more desirable than the hugeness and the overwhelming (some would say bombastic) wow factor that the TC is known for.

Having owned the LCD-4, I can appreciate the more intimate soundstage and the warm mid-centric tonality. It's like the difference between listening in a large concert hall or arena and a small auditorium or chamber/club kind of setting. Being a live music aficionado who attends concerts ranging from colossal Beethoven/Wagner presentations at the spectacular Walt Disney Concert Hall in LA to intimate jazz trio/quartet shows at a club like the Baked Potato in Studio City that sits around 50 people, I've found that different headphones present different types of listening "environments". It's why I expect to have several different HPs as well as several different amps (including a tube amp, eventually) because they each provide a very different sonic flavor, vibe and character. One HP or amp simply cannot cover all genres, styles and sounds equally well.

So this is where the setup stands for now. The Susvara is next on my HP list and will complement the TC, SR1a and Diana very well. Then I know I'll want to add a tube amp/preamp to complement the SS amps. Having been a guitar player who swore by tube guitar amps for 40+ years, I know what tubes bring to the sound. There is nothing quite like it. I'm heavily leaning toward the WA33 JPS Edition right now but that's about a year out and who knows how things will develop by then. This audiophile journey always takes you in unexpected directions. :L3000:

You have an incredible setup, I have seen here before, I love it. The thing that impressed me most (but just because I'm looking for one similar :wink: ) is the wrist-rest to use the mouse (with the same design as the one for the keyboard). Do you know where I can find one similar wrist-rest for mouse use (in my case will be for my trackball)? Or was from a drop or similar? Thanks in advance.

May 23, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #28,610 of 41,132
You have an incredible setup, I have seen here before, I love it. The thing that impressed me most (but just because I'm looking for one similar :wink: ) is the wrist-rest to use the mouse (with the same design as the one for the keyboard). Do you know where I can find one similar wrist-rest for mouse use (in my case will be for my trackball)? Or was from a drop or similar? Thanks in advance.
Trackballs in 2021... bringing back the memories...

May 23, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #28,611 of 41,132
Trackballs in 2021... bringing back the memories...
Yes, I love it. Is a Elecom trackball with cable that I bought in Amazon, imported from China. Now is not available :slight_frown: (only the wireless version). For browsing, the normal mouses make hurt to my wrist, with the trackball I don't have this issue, but prefer to rest my wrist in a comfortable surface instead of the wood of my desk.

May 23, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #28,612 of 41,132

valkyria-and-abyss.jpg
The Valkyria is starting to look more and more enticing every day. And your ears I certainly trust! :wink:

May 23, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #28,613 of 41,132
Thank you! Yes, I'm a real stickler for ergonomics and having everything laid out for easy operation as well as comfort. It's sort of a cockpit kind of concept. Here is the Amazon link for the keyboard and mouse pad.

Hope this helps!

May 23, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #28,616 of 41,132

IMG_2268.jpeg
IMG_2269.jpeg
IMG_2270.jpeg
IMG_2271.jpeg
IMG_2272.jpegIMG_2273.jpegIMG_2274.jpegIMG_2275.jpeg
I know this is a headphone site, but how’s the A500? I’ve been contemplating upgrading my KEF LS50w (1st version) with the Buchardts

(Also, awesome set you have :L3000: )

May 23, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #28,617 of 41,132
FD3BFFD4-DE56-40D3-8C63-1E7082E84850.jpeg

Not shown: The Gungnir Multibit (with a CDP as the transport) that provides lovely sound to the Echo (mk I). Recently had some tube noise emerge; replacement input tubes (Gold Lions) coming in a few days.

May 23, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #28,618 of 41,132
I know this is a headphone site, but how’s the A500? I’ve been contemplating upgrading my KEF LS50w (1st version) with the Buchardts

(Also, awesome set you have :L3000: )
I have the S400 (passive speakers) but I heard the A500 is awesome. The Buchardt speakers are really something else. I got the S400 from my boss/friend as he replaced it with the A500 and he said it handily beat some high-end floor-standing speakers he had that cost 3 times as much. It sounds huge with an amazing bass for its size but still very balanced and clear. Haven't spent too much time listening to the S400 recently since I've been so absorbed with the TC but I'm sure I'll get back to using them more regularly eventually!

May 24, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #28,619 of 41,132
Had been in bussiness trip for about 1.5 months, so decided that I want more high class "portable" rig (used DX100 with UM Miracle and Audez'e Sine)... so here is what I have now:

1621669717218.jpg

Notebook (Win 10, Audirvana 3.5) -> (WireWorld Starlight 8 Type С - Type С 1 m. cable) -> Centrance HiFi M8-V2 -> Abyss Diana V1 (DMS pads (unfortunatly not mine pads, need to send them to owner in a few days), stock cable with mod (changed stock Rean 3.5" jack to balanced Furutech 2.5"jack) + 2.5" jack to 4pin XLR adapter).

Really happy with sound and portability of the rig and already know that custom cable will make Diana sound even better (listened some cables of "cable master" at his home through a bunch of adapters, ordered cable, now waiting...).

P.S. Unexpectedly even on my stationary home rig Diana showed that they can be more interesting on some tracks (mainly tracks with focus on clean vocal) than my main "headphone love" STAX 009 and on some other tracks they can be similary interesting (overall different, but they have different pros and cons, so overall can't decide which I like more...)... Still with most of the music that I lisening I still prefer 009, but really didn't expect anything from Diana compared to 009, so I overjoyed! :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back