Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 26, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #23,626 of 41,294
t7YGppx.jpg

Tried something new with the lighting this time :)

Your photos are great! What camera/lens do you use?

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #23,628 of 41,294
@koven I do most of my still life work on a Sony A7r2 and Loxia lenses. The one used for the shot in question is the Loxia 50mm F2. I also like to use the Loxia 21mm when I want to play with perspectives a bit and avoid the "catalog" look.

But as @HiFiRebel points out, there's usually more effort in my shots than what you see. I took the easy way out on this shot and lighted everything with a computer monitor (instead of a real strobe kit). Nonetheless, there's a lot of post processing going on and a lot of it is simply experience and having a developed workflow. Anything that uses a lighting kit is a lot more complicated. Usually I start with a specific "look" in mind and play around until I get it about 80-90% right, and then fix whatever still doesn't feel right in post.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #23,632 of 41,294
My bedroom setup is half Schiit ...

i-xkHvzwn.jpg

i-KCm3QN8.jpg
Cool stuff.
A little while ago I searched everywhere for a retailer that sells the Gustard H10 amp and couldn't find any. It looks very much like a Cyrus amp except more affordable for me, I had a Cyrus CD6 and was hoping to pair a H10 with it. But it seems I missed my chance as I believe the H10 is no longer in production. Damn!

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #23,633 of 41,294
Cool stuff.
A little while ago I searched everywhere for a retailer that sells the Gustard H10 amp and couldn't find any. It looks very much like a Cyrus amp except more affordable for me, I had a Cyrus CD6 and was hoping to pair a H10 with it. But it seems I missed my chance as I believe the H10 is no longer in production. Damn!

I picked up two (because zero warranty basically) from Massdrop last time they offered them... which was right before Gustard discontinued them a year or two ago. Used is the only way to get them now. As long as you do some thermal mods they will become much more dpendable... they absolutely need better cooling and heat sinking than stock or you really need to leave the top off - the voltage regulator transistors and transistors around the opamps have been the main failure points for those with issues, they get EXTREMELY hot to the touch.

I added column heat sinks to the voltage regulators, Versarien LPH0001 copper sponge heatsinks to transistors on main heat sink, made custom heatsinks from 1mm copper heat sink shims attached via thermal epoxy to the 4 transistors around each single opamp, and drilled holes strategically in top of case for venting heat). For this unit the stock opams are replaced with Burson V6 Vivid single / V6 Classic dual opamps, my work H10 has the stock opamps.

Really love this amp - incredibly powerful, extremely detailed, exceptionally clean and smooth, with a nice just-warm-of-neutral leaning sound; perfect synergy for the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart and nice fit for the Argon Mk3 and HD58X/6XX. If you can find a used one in the future I recommend grabbing it... just be sure to mod for better longevity of the amp.

i-cwNd9kh-X4.jpg

i-rXjvRRN-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #23,634 of 41,294
I picked up two (because zero warranty basically) from Massdrop last time they offered them... which was right before Gustard discontinued them a year or two ago. Used is the only way to get them now. As long as you do some thermal mods they will become much more dpendable... they absolutely need better cooling and heat sinking than stock or you really need to leave the top off - the voltage regulator transistors and transistors around the opamps are the main failure points.

I added column heat sinks to the voltage regulators, Versarien LPH0001 copper sponge heatsinks to transistors on main heat sink, made custom heatsinks from 1mm copper heat sink shims attached via thermal epoxy to the 4 transistors around each single opamp, and drilled holes strategically in top of case for venting heat). For this unit the stock opams are replaced with Burson V6 Vivid single / V6 Classic dual opamps, my work H10 has the stock opamps.

Really love this amp - inredibly powerful, extremely detailed, exceptionally clean and smooth, with a nice just-warm-of-neutral leaning sound; perfect synergy for the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart and nice fit for the Argon Mk3. If you can find a used one I recommend grabbing it... just be sure to mod for better longevity of the amp.

i-cwNd9kh-X4.jpg

i-rXjvRRN-X3.jpg
I would love to be able to mod amps, I would have to get my father to do it as he is an electronic engineer. I will definitely keep an eye out for an H10 on Ebay. It seems like the perfect match for the TH-X00 Purpleheart going by what you say about it's sound. Very cool.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #23,635 of 41,294
I would love to be able to mod amps, I would have to get my father to do it as he is an electronic engineer. I will definitely keep an eye out for an H10 on Ebay. It seems like the perfect match for the TH-X00 Purpleheart going by what you say about it's sound. Very cool.

All the mods are fairly easy/straightforward with no electrical work... basically just adhering heatsinks and drilling holes/slots. All four of the opamps are socketed on the H10 so it's simple to swap them out for others if you wish. The Burson's are an improvement but stock is great as well. The TH-X00 do match extremely well with it...

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #23,636 of 41,294
DSC_0001.jpg
abstract top qdc anole v3.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #23,639 of 41,294
Assembled my listening station. Crappy pic, gear... is another story:
20190328_222233.jpg

GS5 with Neutron MP->Silver Dragon usb cable->Hugo MScaler->Silver Dragon BNCs->Chord DAVE

From DAVE, left to right:
1)->Silver Dragon XLR cables -> BHSE -> STAX SR-009
2)->Norne Audio Therium cable -> Moondrop Blessing iem
3)->Stefan Audio Art Endorphin Copper Ribbon Interconnects -> Apex Teton (USAF 596 rectifier, 6528 power tube, metal base Sylvania 6SN7W drive tube) -> Norne Audio Custom Silver Draug 2 -> HD800S

I just wish I had some Beats instead....

...NOT! :phttps://www.head-fi.org/threads/ste...n-copper-ribbon-interconnects-various.870344/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back