Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Nov 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #15,961 of 41,163
  OK, added the headphone stand and the wooden knob to the amp. Sorry for all the posts, what do you guys think, is the knob too big? Better than the plastic one?

It's better (very pretty even), but I think it'd be even better if the diameter of the knob would be the same as height of the the bright area.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #15,962 of 41,163
Very nice. Could even take it a bit more and inlay a white bar across it to match the case. :)

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #15,963 of 41,163
  Here's mine:

Mostly used gear (headphones and DAC) with some overseas gear thrown in (ebay headphone stand, Little Dot MKIII tube amp)

Is your stand impacting the clamping force of the AKGs at all?  I love that style stand but I've always been leery of putting the dual band AKGs on one.

Bill

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #15,967 of 41,163
Is your stand impacting the clamping force of the AKGs at all?  I love that style stand but I've always been leery of putting the dual band AKGs on one.

Bill

Hi Bill - I haven't noticed any changes to the clamping force of my AKG.

The stand is much smaller than my head, so I figure i'd stretch them more wearing them than leaving them in the stand.

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #15,968 of 41,163
i sold my 650's - miss them 
frown.gif
. the pic looks lovely

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #15,969 of 41,163
  OK, added the headphone stand and the wooden knob to the amp. Sorry for all the posts, what do you guys think, is the knob too big? Better than the plastic one?

So how did you make it?

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #15,971 of 41,163
Love the clean layout you have . and the light arrangement. :) 

The V200 and the Burson are SE backups. However, having done some thinking - I have decided to get rid of the TH-900 and the T1. I should have no need for SE outputs anymore - but will keep at least the V200 anyway. 

The LCD-X and the XC plays well with the M51/MJ combo. In fact - if I should have been rational about this hobby - I should have sold everything else - but won't. There is no such thing as being rational in this hobby. :)

Quote:

Looks cosy. How's the LCD-X on this set-up? Not many here have the M51/MJ combo. I love mine, though I do miss a 1/4" se hp out. You have that taken care of by the Burson. My incoming Vali should sort that out.

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #15,972 of 41,163

So how did you make it?

Well, I took the circle that was too big and started sanding. I'm using a random orbital, so it rotates in tiny circles, but the whole thing also spins, which then gave me an idea. The circle of wood had the whole in the middle, so I put it on a stick and used the spinning motion of the sander to spin the wood, in essence making a little lathe. Sanding still took awhile, but by rounding the front off a lot it made the knob look smaller without having to sand it all down. This is a fairly hard wood, so sanding it down another 1/4" all around would probably take several hours, at least with my current setup. I think I'll live with it at this size for awhile and if I want to tinker again or improve the look I'll sand it some more.

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #15,973 of 41,163
Hi Bill - I haven't noticed any changes to the clamping force of my AKG.

The stand is much smaller than my head, so I figure i'd stretch them more wearing them than leaving them in the stand.

Good point.  Any worry about the ear pads or auto-adjusting tension bands wearing out prematurely?

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #15,974 of 41,163

Well I still have them both but I do prefer the K712 at the moment, they're so well-rounded. I did compare them a bit in this review.

Glad to hear that.  I've got a pair on the way.  Nice review BTW.

Bill

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #15,975 of 41,163
Good point.  Any worry about the ear pads or auto-adjusting tension bands wearing out prematurely?

Not really. I'm pretty loosey-goosey with my head-fi gear.

I figure the pads are better off with even pressure on a flat surface vs uneven pressure around my ears and lumpy head. Unlike my ATH-M50's, the AKG 702s don't fold so are prone to the bottom of the pads touching at a specific point near the bottom. Could theoretically cause a premature pressure point there. If you look at how most headphones are packaged before purchase in their manufacturer's boxes, the pads are stored against a flat, even surface and a gap between the pass to keep them from touching. Check out those headphone inbox in videos to see if my memory serves me correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back