Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 31, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #21,316 of 41,129
^^^ I too have a Vali2. Really is awesome. Very nice ^^^^^

Thanks. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #21,320 of 41,129

Curious... what takes you away from the Valhalla back to the Vali? Same DAC for the Valhalla as well?

To me, the Vali 2 has a more relaxed sound. Even though the Valhalla is technically superior (resolution, soundstage), it is brighter and more edgy. This might change if I could get some decent NOS tubes for it, but that is twice the cost (and something of a gamble on eBay) compared to the Vali. I have found the perfect tube for the Vali, the EH 6CG7, which is current production. 

Another practical reason is that the Vali gives off less heat, which is noticeable during summer in Florida. 

Same DAC with both, Modi Multibit. 

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #21,321 of 41,129
  To me, the Vali 2 has a more relaxed sound. Even though the Valhalla is technically superior (resolution, soundstage), it is brighter and more edgy. This might change if I could get some decent NOS tubes for it, but that is twice the cost (and something of a gamble on eBay) compared to the Vali. I have found the perfect tube for the Vali, the EH 6CG7, which is current production. 

Another practical reason is that the Vali gives off less heat, which is noticeable during summer in Florida. 

Same DAC with both, Modi Multibit. 

Ah, all makes sense then. Agree the Valhalla with stock tubes is bright and edgy. I was just dumb enough to go wandering down the NOS tube rabbit hole, and yes, I much more expensive route to yours. 
redface.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #21,328 of 41,129
Haha. Nice. What years? Early 90's?

Roughly, actually 1988, but it is for all intents and purposes early 90s. David Manley designed of course. 6 years later in 1994, the Manley LAB series 100 monoblocks would be released (under the Manley brand, of course), which is more or less the same amplifier. EL34 and 12AT7 based, although I do  believe the Manleys used a different driver tube. I used to own the Manleys, and I can say with confidence that they are nearly identical (oddly enough, the VTLs are actually far, far quieter noise-wise than the Manleys were).

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #21,329 of 41,129
Roughly, actually 1988, but it is for all intents and purposes early 90s. David Manley designed of course. 6 years later in 1994, the Manley LAB series 100 monoblocks would be released (under the Manley brand, of course), which is more or less the same amplifier. EL34 and 12AT7 based, although I do  believe the Manleys used a different driver tube. I used to own the Manleys, and I can say with confidence that they are nearly identical (oddly enough, the VTLs are actually far, far quieter noise-wise than the Manleys were).
Yup, those are keepers. I once owned the Quicksilver mini monos with that same tube set. Kick myself for selling them...Sadly I won't be able to attend the meet-trapped in RI....:slight_frown:

Sep 1, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #21,330 of 41,129

Whoops this is yesterday. The other was last week. Its starting to come together.

That table looks like an AT ATH-LP60. If so, I have the same table. Not bad for the price, but if you have not yet tried it, I would highly recommend using an external preamp for it. The built in one will work, bit the table sounds significantly (and I can't stress this enough) better with a better phono pre.

I use the one built into my Emotiva XSP-1 preamp.

Cool setup!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back