Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 15, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #20,491 of 41,118
Dec 16, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #20,494 of 41,118
Mjolnir 2 and Gumy... i hate you... 
frown.gif
tongue.gif

hope youre enjoying them!

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #20,499 of 41,118
Here is my home made mobile Head-Fi station. it is basically a bookshelf on the wheels and has two build-in headphone hangers. It is a self-contained station. All I need is plug in the power. I can move it around easily and 
smily_headphones1.gif
 music in bed, couch or at my computer desk! 

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #20,501 of 41,118
When I started this hobby I was focused solely on portable sound. Sony XBA950bt handles those duties wirelessly these days and I recently put together this little Pro-Ject rig. A Texas Instruments chip does the honours in the DAC. Tidal HiFi is my main source via OTG USB or digital coaxial from a Blu Ray player. Digital tv is hooked up optically. The digital coaxial cable was the costliest cable by far at fifty bucks and total cost was less than five hundred kiwi pesos.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #20,502 of 41,118
Expain whats going on there pls O_o

Apologies for the slow reply I have been away. The computer on the right is a workstation/gaming machine using Dimastech mini testbench 9820 cpu and msi gtx980ti. The open build allows for better air cooling and under most situations apart from intensive gaming it is inaudible. All storage is SSD and the PSU is corsair ax1200i which does not run the fan at this load. This is connected to the DAC on the right via TOSLINK. The mouse is SS Rival and keyboard is Pok3r 60%. Monitor is Asus VG248QE.

On top of the TAOC ASRii 4 shelf rack is a fanless ivy bridge i7 system running Daphile headless linux pulling music from connected SSD's. On the left side of the desk is a Teradak linear ATX power supply for the Daphile machine. Below the Daphile machine, fed from JPlay's USB card, is a Bel canto Reflink USB transport connected via AES to the AudioGD NFB7 DAC. At the bottom of the rack is an AudioGD Master6 headphone amplifier and preamp. The component feet are Stillpoint Ultra SS and the rack is on Ultra 5's. The rack however exhibited some resonance with these feet and has been modofied with dynamat constrained layer dampening to address this.

Power cabling is from Cabledyne. The power board is an Isotek unit. Digital cables and analog IC's are from Wireworld. The headphone cable is Norne Audio's Solv X for the Sennheiser HD 800 headphones on the Moon Audio headphone stand.

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #20,503 of 41,118
  Here is my home made mobile Head-Fi station. it is basically a bookshelf on the wheels and has two build-in headphone hangers. It is a self-contained station. All I need is plug in the power. I can move it around easily and 
smily_headphones1.gif
 music in bed, couch or at my computer desk! 

Nice one Frank. I have a question for you. How are the heating levels on the shelf above the amp ? I made the standard ikea hack for a rack but didn't calculate enough room above the amp, so the shelf above is quite close. I think the shelf will melt..its ikea after all.

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #20,504 of 41,118
Apologies for the slow reply I have been away. The computer on the right is a workstation/gaming machine using Dimastech mini testbench 9820 cpu and msi gtx980ti. The open build allows for better air cooling and under most situations apart from intensive gaming it is inaudible. All storage is SSD and the PSU is corsair ax1200i which does not run the fan at this load. This is connected to the DAC on the right via TOSLINK. The mouse is SS Rival and keyboard is Pok3r 60%. Monitor is Asus VG248QE.

On top of the TAOC ASRii 4 shelf rack is a fanless ivy bridge i7 system running Daphile headless linux pulling music from connected SSD's. On the left side of the desk is a Teradak linear ATX power supply for the Daphile machine. Below the Daphile machine, fed from JPlay's USB card, is a Bel canto Reflink USB transport connected via AES to the AudioGD NFB7 DAC. At the bottom of the rack is an AudioGD Master6 headphone amplifier and preamp. The component feet are Stillpoint Ultra SS and the rack is on Ultra 5's. The rack however exhibited some resonance with these feet and has been modofied with dynamat constrained layer dampening to address this.

Power cabling is from Cabledyne. The power board is an Isotek unit. Digital cables and analog IC's are from Wireworld. The headphone cable is Norne Audio's Solv X for the Sennheiser HD 800 headphones on the Moon Audio headphone stand.

Just Awesome!

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #20,505 of 41,118

Nice one Frank. I have a question for you. How are the heating levels on the shelf above the amp ? I made the standard ikea hack for a rack but didn't calculate enough room above the amp, so the shelf above is quite close. I think the shelf will melt..its ikea after all.

There are about 3 inches gap between the top of the tube to the board on the top. My darkvoice dv337 does generate lots of heat. After about 1 hour of running, the board surface that faces the tube can become quite warm. However the wood board seems isolate the heat quite well, the surface that faces up is only a little warm. I think it is within the acceptable range. I don't think the board will burn. Since I built this only a few weeks ago, I will keep an eye on it to make sure it won't overheat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back