Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 23, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #20,207 of 41,136
Currently testing, later all will move into a nice wodden rack.

DIY Daphile Server (Intel hardware, SSD with FLAC music collection on) > USB > Gustard U12 > optical Toslink > Schiit Bifrost Uber > analog RCA > iFi audio micro iCAN = head phones.

I use the Android Suqeeze Ctrl app to control my Daphile box, works perfect, great sounding setup.

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #20,208 of 41,136

DIY Daphile Server (Intel hardware, SSD with FLAC music collection on) > USB > Gustard U12 > optical Toslink > Schiit Bifrost Uber > analog RCA > iFi audio micro iCAN = head phones.

I use the Android Suqeeze Ctrl app to control my Daphile box, works perfect, great sounding setup.

What headphones are in the top picture?

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #20,211 of 41,136

Nice setup.
Just asking, why are you using optical instead of coaxial?

cheers

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #20,212 of 41,136
Thanks, I prefer it simply for it independence of EMI,RFI, ground loop and so on, and I already have had that nice Oehlbach optical toslink cable.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #20,213 of 41,136
OK thanks.
I never directly compared the same dac with coax vs optical cable.
I read the same your considerations around. But optical detractors claim there is more jitter with optical connections.
Did you make a direct comparison of optical vs coaxial?

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #20,214 of 41,136
  But optical detractors claim there is more jitter with optical connections.

-Next time someone brings that up, I suggest you ask them whether it is _audible_.

(There may well be more jitter associated with the optical drivers than with the electrical counterparts - but whether it is audible is another question altogether.)

To put it another way - there's also people claiming green marker around the edge of your CDs is an absolute necessity if you want to get the most from them - and even people claiming that certain fancy stones improves the sound quality simply by being in the same room as the equipment you are listening to.

Just sayin'... :)

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #20,215 of 41,136

-Next time someone brings that up, I suggest you ask them whether it is _audible_.

(There may well be more jitter associated with the optical drivers than with the electrical counterparts - but whether it is audible is another question altogether.)

To put it another way - there's also people claiming green marker around the edge of your CDs is an absolute necessity if you want to get the most from them - and even people claiming that certain fancy stones improves the sound quality simply by being in the same room as the equipment you are listening to.

or directly on the interconnects!!!

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #20,216 of 41,136

Sure.
I was by no means implying h1f1add1cted's choice is wrong.
For example in my hi-fi (sort of...) set, I am connecting the old, oops, vingate Onkyo R1 Integra CD Player to the Yulong D200 via optical, and it sounds so much better compared to the integrated dac.

I just wanted to know why he chose optical against coaxial and he gave an appropriate answer.
Also, not connecting both cables just to start switching and trying to chase subtle differences, instead on really enjoying music is a wise choice IMO :)

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #20,217 of 41,136
Aug 24, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #20,218 of 41,136
@GioF71 - Absolutely!
(My somewhat snide remark wasn't aimed at you, it was more of a sigh of exasperation after having been engaged in an exceedingly absurd discussion with a colleague at work - while one of the most skeptical engineers I know of in all professional matters (From me, that is a major compliment!), he throws everything to the wind once he ventures onto the subject of hi-fi. Most fascinating.)

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #20,219 of 41,136
Originally Posted by OddE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@GioF71 - Absolutely!
(My somewhat snide remark wasn't aimed at you, it was more of a sigh of exasperation after having been engaged in an exceedingly absurd discussion with a colleague at work - while one of the most skeptical engineers I know of in all professional matters (From me, that is a major compliment!), he throws everything to the wind once he ventures onto the subject of hi-fi. Most fascinating.)

No worries! Always nice to share opinions :)

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #20,220 of 41,136

or directly on the interconnects!!!

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back