Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 24, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #18,286 of 41,285
Quite minimal, I haven't been in this hobby long. Oversized Headphone stand was also made by me. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #18,288 of 41,285
What better way to celebrate my first head-fi-versary (give or take a couple of months) than putting out an order for Asgard 2 and some Forza Audioworks RCA-cables. I should also be receiving my Woo Audio headphone stand any day now. This should scratch the itch for time being, and serve me until I can shell out some big bucks. Exciting times!

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #18,289 of 41,285
I'm seeing a lot of awesome setups with turntables. I want to step up to a real table from my budget sony ps-lx300usb since I can't really upgrade it (no adjustment options). I'm trying to decide between the denon dp-300f and the audio technica at-lp120-usb  Both of these have all the adjustment options and are upgradeable and are very well regarded. Any suggestions?

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #18,290 of 41,285
I'm seeing a lot of awesome setups with turntables. I want to step up to a real table from my budget sony ps-lx300usb since I can't really upgrade it (no adjustment options). I'm trying to decide between the denon dp-300f and the audio technica at-lp120-usb  Both of these have all the adjustment options and are upgradeable and are very well regarded. Any suggestions?

I'm going to say vintage, but stick to trustworthy audio websites. If I were in your shoes I would jump on this right here.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-revolver-rebel-turntable-w-arm-inexpensive-quality-entry-into-vinyl-2014-06-16-analog-86305

After shipping you will have $100-150(assuming you were willing to spend retail on the dp-300f) to put into an entry-level phono stage and cartridge. All you need to know about picking a cartridge can be found on vinylengine.

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #18,291 of 41,285

Out of those two, definitely the Denon dp-300f with a LPGear DSN-85E replacement or even a different cartridge altogether(It is a fantastic turntable but the stock cartridge isn't too great but decent). The lp120 has a lot of know issues(Anti skating problems come to mind), also there is a piece of metal in the lp120 to make it seem heavier than it actually is. To bypass the in-built preamp the whole thing has to be cut out(a youtube video shows this) as even if the built in preamp is off the signal has to still go through its signal path affecting the sound(It is not a true bypass and apparently the inbuilt preamp isn't too great sounding). 

You can't go wrong with the Denon.

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #18,292 of 41,285
I'm going to say vintage, but stick to trustworthy audio websites. If I were in your shoes I would jump on this right here.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-revolver-rebel-turntable-w-arm-inexpensive-quality-entry-into-vinyl-2014-06-16-analog-86305

After shipping you will have $100-150(assuming you were willing to spend retail on the dp-300f) to put into an entry-level phono stage and cartridge. All you need to know about picking a cartridge can be found on vinylengine.

Thanks, but I'll be buying from the place I'm employed at so can't go vintage/other store >_<
  Out of those two, definitely the Denon dp-300f with a LPGear DSN-85E replacement or even a different cartridge altogether(It is a fantastic turntable but the stock cartridge isn't too great but decent). The lp120 has a lot of know issues(Anti skating problems come to mind), also there is a piece of metal in the lp120 to make it seem heavier than it actually is. To bypass the in-built preamp the whole thing has to be cut out(a youtube video shows this) as even if the built in preamp is off the signal has to still go through its signal path affecting the sound(It is not a true bypass and apparently the inbuilt preamp isn't too great sounding). 

You can't go wrong with the Denon.

Ok! The denon it is! I'd rather spend the money towards a better cartridge . Any suggestions < $100? Would any of the grado ones work?

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #18,293 of 41,285

Ok! The denon it is! I'd rather spend the money towards a better cartridge . Any suggestions < $100? Would any of the grado ones work?

Ortofon 2m red(forward sounding) and Shure m97xe(Laid-back sounding) are the most common recommendations for the Denon at this price range. For a bit more Nagaota MP-110 is a consideration as well. I don't know about the Grado cartridges though.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #18,295 of 41,285
So while repainting my room I had to move my system out of it, and my speakers found a temporary home in the game room where they pounded the house with some funky Daft Punk and jammed some rock.
Then we moved everything back into a much more space friendly format, making me need to purchase more speaker wire:
And the rack got rearranged:

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #18,296 of 41,285

Smyth Realiser A8
MUTEC MC-3+ Smart Clock
NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC
Allnic HPA-3000
Sennheiser HD 800

HiFiMAN HE-560 incoming! Will post more pictures once it arrives and settles down.

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #18,299 of 41,285
Also wondering if songmic brought the HD800 in to replace the HE-6 or if the Senn is an addition.
popcorn.gif

Jun 27, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #18,300 of 41,285
  Also wondering if songmic brought the HD800 in to replace the HE-6 or if the Senn is an addition.

The Pathos/HE-6 combo was sold a while ago. That is the 3rd HD800 I've owned, which replaced a previous LCD-X (also sold recently).

My Allnic HPA-3000 headphone amp has 2 outputs: one for low-impedance headphones (optimally 30-40 ohms) and one for high impedance (optimally 300 ohms). The guy who designed this amp apparently used HE-500 and HD800 to tune these two outputs, respectively. Since the HE-560 is essentially an upgraded version of HE-500--although some people say they sound quite different--I'm looking forward to trying it out as well and have it pre-ordered.

The LCD-X on low impedance output sounded superb, but the HD800 on the high impedance output was just better in most ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back