Should I upgrade to the Shure SE530 or SE535's?
Sep 7, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #16 of 32
Just bought them from an eBay seller who had a lot of good feedback for the SE535's. 

Picked them up for a reasonable £260, or $400 with a Best Offer buy. 

Check that link out: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330469725751

I'll post back here when I've got them. :)

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #17 of 32
This is quite exciting! Apparently I'm going to get my headphones today (after just two days of shipping!). That's probably the best shipping I've ever gotten internationally. Try doing that through the UK's Royal Mail inland service and I bet you anything the package would take longer.

Brighton is about 25 minutes away from Worthing, so hopefully won't arrive too late in the day.

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #18 of 32
Hi.. I'm also a student looking to buy the 535s. But there are so much more expensive in the Uk.. Did u get taxes for the purchase? If so how much n how did u pay for it? Any Feedback about the sound?

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #19 of 32
535, w/o question. Smaller and fit much better. I get a virtually perfect seal with the medium black olives as soon as I put them in. Improved SQ (/530s) to my ears. They spin at the cable junction, which is nice as well. Amazing build and SQ if you're a fan of the Shure sound. 

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #20 of 32
^ I also use the black foam tips. Perfect seals every time, amazing comfort, helps a ton with the sound signature, and blocks out a ton of noise. The fact that the cables swivel helps with insertion and keeping them in as well. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #21 of 32
OllyNewport where did you purchase from?  I'm looking to get a pair of clear 535 soon, I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #22 of 32

Quote:
Hi.. I'm also a student looking to buy the 535s. But there are so much more expensive in the Uk.. Did u get taxes for the purchase? If so how much n how did u pay for it? Any Feedback about the sound?

Moving up from my Shure SE115's the initial reaction was decent. I like the Shure sound, so it took about 10 or 15 hours before I started noticing really excellent differences between the single driver 115's and the 535's. (I think if you were going from a very low end solution, sub-£50 then you might notice more.)

I've used these buds everyday since September, they're great and always get a reaction (people say they look like hearing aids, okay for me, they won't get nicked. xD) Moreover the sound is beautiful, it's clear, you can hear detail to the pin-drop. So far the best sounding albums is Kind of Blue - Miles Davis, and Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix (mostly because I smile every time I hear it). 

I'm not sure if it justifies the ticket price of £459. However, I bought mine for a sweet £261, and that would be my limit for headphones. (American import + eBay.)

I'll probably not have to buy headphones for a long time now, so the investment is probably worth it. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #23 of 32

Quote:
OllyNewport where did you purchase from?  I'm looking to get a pair of clear 535 soon, I look forward to hearing your impressions.

I grabbed them from an eBay seller that a few others recommended and vouched for being authentic. 

It really depends on the music that you listen to. For example, I used to be able to listen to Coldplay (don't ask why) but trying to listen to their newer albums is dismal. If you want the definition of lifeless music, go no further than Viva La Vida. 

No matter how hard you push the 353's they NEVER distort; well... at least not for me and I listen loud. 

The kind of music I listen to is really varied: jazz, dance, ambient, rock, pop, 8-bit, folk, classic rock. Dance fans might find the 535's lack enough bass for their liking, but you can easily EQ them up without issue. Jazz is what these buds were made for, listening to Take Five by Dave Brubeck Quartet and Kind of Blue by Miles Davis really show the soundstage of the 535's off. 

As for the build of the earphones I wasn't so positive. My ears are very small, and finding IEM's to fit is tricky. The Shure SE535's had a tendency to rub a lot after only an hours use, and would cause some pain when removing and adjusting them. My ears did get used to this, and I don't even notice them now. 

I think the swivel cables are a good thing and a bad thing. Again, with my small ears I find that sometimes the hardened section of the cable falls off my ears; I need to really flatten it like a clip to stay on. Getting a decent fit is pretty easy, flattening the tips and inserting the buds into my ears has become something of an art form, part of my muscle memory.

I use the black olive tips as they seem to fit my ears the best. I need to use a medium size one in my left ear and a larger size one in the right. Isolation wise I can only just hear what's going on without anything playing, but start playing music and you can say so-long to the outside world. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #24 of 32

Quote:
This is quite exciting! Apparently I'm going to get my headphones today (after just two days of shipping!). That's probably the best shipping I've ever gotten internationally. Try doing that through the UK's Royal Mail inland service and I bet you anything the package would take longer.

Brighton is about 25 minutes away from Worthing, so hopefully won't arrive too late in the day.

Expect to receive a nice invoice within a week or two from UK customs and import duty, which on those earphones wont be cheap.

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #25 of 32

Quote:
Expect to receive a nice invoice within a week or two for UK customs and import duty.

FedEx sent me one about a month back... I've not paid it yet actually. The reason I've not paid ALL of it was because they charged a stupid admin fee of £10 on an item which HMR&C had declared £9.25 tax on. I sent the £9.25 to FedEx but I've never paid their admin fee. 

The eBay seller was quite... naughty and priced the package at £40. I can't be responsible for their 'wrongdoings' though!

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #26 of 32
Believe me i've been down that road many times before with regards to importing items from outside the EU you will get hit with a charge.

To be honest if you shop around you can find some serious bargains here in the UK, Sorry to be the bearer of doom and gloom I do hope you enjoy them once you receive them.

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
Believe me i've been down that road many times before with regards to importing items from outside the EU you will get hit with a charge.

To be honest if you shop around you can find some serious bargains here in the UK, Sorry to be the bearer of doom and gloom I do hope you enjoy them once you receive them.

Oh this is a follow up post. These came through the postbox in September, the VAT notice came through about 2 weeks later. I paid them the VAT but not the admin. Yet to receive any complaints from FedEx. I was lucky that the charge was so little. I think paying off the VAT would have bought the total price up to £400 quite easily. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #28 of 32
Keep playing the import game its great until you start getting hit with charges and they hold your items for days or sometimes weeks keeping you sweating, im only trying to give you another perspective.

Just out of interest how much have the earphones cost you in total.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #29 of 32

Quote:
Keep playing the import game its great until you start getting hit with charges and they hold your items for days or sometimes weeks keeping you sweating, im only trying to give you another perspective.

Just out of interest how much have the earphones cost you in total.

Depends on the company you have delivering it. FedEx pay for the import then and there, and don't bother to get you to pay on the doorstep. 

They cost £261 with post and packaging. With the added cost of import duty that brings it to £270.25. I'd say a great deal. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #30 of 32
i can tell you for a fact that there really is no difference between the se530 and se535 execpt the detachable cables.  the motors are the exact same , and so are the filters for sound quality, i will say that the wires are different but that is because they are more solid OFC based. but the wires become nasty looking (because they are transparent) after awhile. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back