Should I upgrade to the Shure SE530 or SE535's?
Sep 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

OllyNewport

New Head-Fier

[size=medium] [size=11pt]I'm a 16 year old student who cares for audio quality, I've acquired an iPod Classic 160GB, have my music in ALAC and want to complete the experience... however...[/size]

[size=11pt]I've been burning my mid-range SHURE SE115's (in an unfortunate bright eye watering pink, it was cheaper than black for some reason) for about a year and a bit now, and I love the sound they produce. A year later, and I'm about to move switch up to a media production course at a college, so I've got a little cash on the side to spare.[/size]

[size=11pt]I was very close to buying a pair of SHURE SE530's because they are very reasonably priced a couple of months ago, however with the release of the SE535's I've started to get a headache... a big one.[/size]

[size=11pt]The main reasons for buying the SE535's would be:[/size]

[size=11pt]-Improved high end. [/size]
[size=11pt]-Replaceable cables.[/size]
[size=11pt]....and... erm, bragging rights?[/size]

[size=11pt]I've struggled to think of much else, and I'm finding it hard to justify the nearly £200 extra RRP. [/size]

[size=11pt]My headphone usage is daily; they're chucked into a bag, stuffed in pockets, daily commuting, sleeping. If I was to go with the SE530's how easy are they to break? Is the extra money spent on the 535's going to pay off years ahead?[/size]

[size=11pt]If I were to buy these headphones via eBay I could perhaps oversee the excess amounts. However I'm always a bit nervous with any headphones being bought on eBay after a very dodgy few sales of Sennheiser models. [/size]

[size=11pt]i.e. [/size]

[size=11pt]http://min.ie/0cFppP (2 weeks until shipping = red flag) £199[/size]
[size=11pt]http://min.ie/0jFF1j £239.[/size]

[size=11pt]Why are these headphones so cheap when the RRP is so high? They say if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.[/size]

[size=11pt]PS: My musical taste is pretty wide, going from Miles Davis to M83 to all sorts: [/size][size=11pt]http://www.last.fm/user/nyllo[/size]
[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Thanks for any help. -Olly.[/size]

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 32
The 535s are alot more durable than the 530.

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 32
How about checking the FS forum here on head-fi for a second hand pair. That ay you save more money & if you buy off someone with decent feedback you'd probably ease you're nerves a bit 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 32
Only YOU can answer that question because it is all relative to your budget and what you can afford.

Having said that I think the SQ tweaks plus the ergonomic improvements make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 32
For me it was a no brainer...better highs (no longer rolled off), the sound stage is wider (more like me Westone 3s) and the construction is rock solid.

But when I was 16, hi-end audio was the last thing I'd spend my money on. I blew most of it on girls and my car.

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 32
^Haha nice.
But if my sales go through I'm going to pick up the 535s as they sound a little better from what I've read and I love detachable cables. Either those or the SM3s....

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 32

Quote:
^Haha nice.
But if my sales go through I'm going to pick up the 535s as they sound a little better from what I've read and I love detachable cables. Either those or the SM3s....

Twenty-two years go by very quickly....
wink.gif

Ideally you should listen to both...FWIW, I preferred the more neutral sounding SE535s, but you might not.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 32

Quote:

Twenty-two years go by very quickly....
wink.gif

Ideally you should listen to both...FWIW, I preferred the more neutral sounding SE535s, but you might not.

Hmm it would be great if I could... I have however listened to the ER4S and the UM3X (owned both) so I guess that can give me a good guess....I think lol; which sounds... more neutral? 

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 32
The ER4s is definitely more neutral. I found the UM3x to be a bit on the warm side.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 32
^Thanks lol, I know that,I meant which is more neutral out of either the SM3 or SE535?
Oh yea, the UM3X was definitely bloated; going to the K702 from it was a big difference.

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 32

Quote:
^Thanks lol, I know that,I meant which is more neutral out of either the SM3 or SE535?
Oh yea, the UM3X was definitely bloated; going to the K702 from it was a big difference.

No brainer, the SE535s are more neutral. The SM3s are in between the SE535s and Westone 3s (which are fun and coloured).

FWIW, I never found any of the Ety's to be neutral. They were too tipped in favour of the treble. Just like some IEMs can be tipped too much to the bass, the same holds true for the other end of the spectrum.

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 32

Quote:
No brainer, the SE535s are more neutral. The SM3s are in between the SE535s and Westone 3s (which are fun and coloured).

FWIW, I never found any of the Ety's to be neutral. They were too tipped in favour of the treble. Just like some IEMs can be tipped too much to the bass, the same holds true for the other end of the spectrum.

Ah ok thanks :) I guess that gives the SE535s a 1 up on my book on top of build quality and cabling. 

But yea the Ety's were a little treble bright IMO. Using the Ss... I found them to be lacking bass and body depending on the genre I was listening to (classical vs acoustic music). 

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #13 of 32

Quote:

Oh I had the SM3s also and the 535 are def more neutral.

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 32

Quote:
Ah ok. I sthat all you liked more about the 535s than the SM3s?  Besides build quality 

Oh not at all. I felt that the SM3s were a bit congested and veiled and that the upper mids were recessed and there was a lack of "airiness".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back