"Should I rip my CDs to my PC?"
Oct 30, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #91 of 165
You can do whatever you want, no one is trying to stop you.
My post was in reference to supposed album version changes on streaming platforms that can be addressed with the digital downloads that can also save you from ripping process after which you just put CD on the shelf to collect dust.
Digital download is also "greener" as no plastic or other materials are wasted, if you even care about things like that.
Since your reference is my post I would like to say that my CD's do not collect dust, they are actively used.
Your point about plastic waste is valid though, can't escape that one.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #92 of 165
Since your reference is my post I would like to say that my CD's do not collect dust, they are actively used.
Your point about plastic waste is valid though, can't escape that one.
If you keep your CDs in their original jewel boxes or even those paper sleeves, they will not collect dust.

There is no plastic waste as long as you don't throw it out.

I remember being assaulted by an eco-fascist in the late 1980s who said in a shocked voice and with righteous indignation: "How can you use those styrofoam cups!?"

I looked her in the eye and said, "Now that they made it, there's nothing to do but drink from it." And I enjoyed my coffee right before her eyes :D

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #93 of 165
If you trying to get into jazz, you might check this thread - On a mission to like jazz. I post there a lot. Also here, but that's the "What are you listening to now" thread.

Thanks. In fact i discovered the first thread weeks ago and i've been hearing a lot of recommendations.

This was my last week purchase.

1000044667-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #94 of 165
i only rip CDs because i use DAPs for road trips and for music that i download, otherwise i use my NAD C521BEE CD player, which sounds lovely. the only way i listen to music on my laptop is with tidal via my KINGREX UD-01 PRO DAC.

Oct 30, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #95 of 165
Thanks. In fact i discovered the first thread weeks ago and i've been hearing a lot of recommendations.

1000044667-01.jpeg
Thank you! Listening now. I have always enjoyed Horace Silver but never heard this album :)

Oct 30, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #97 of 165
You can do whatever you want, no one is trying to stop you.
My post was in reference to supposed album version changes on streaming platforms that can be addressed with the digital downloads that can also save you from ripping process after which you just put CD on the shelf to collect dust.
Digital download is also "greener" as no plastic or other materials are wasted, if you even care about things like that.
Yeah, that's my point. However, you seem to be hell bent on telling others what they should do based on your personal beliefs.
does it even have to be CD, buy digital download and skip all that process with ripping, etc, plus you can get high-res this way, unless you can find SACD version of your favorite album. It will be on your disk and immune to version changes.

And as I said in the initial post....
Sure, you can do all this with streaming apps, but this is about those of us who wish to rip our own physical collections and have it available anywhere.
Apparently, you have an issue accepting that.

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #98 of 165
However, you seem to be hell bent on telling others what they should do based on your personal beliefs.
There are no "personal beliefs" or "hell bent" enforcement of what to do, just some up with time rational recommendations and simple well known facts.
You seem to be overly sensitive and aggressively defensive with any posts of mine, whether addressed to you or anybody else.
If they bother you so much, you know what to do, Ignore button is just a click away.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #99 of 165
Chain Reaction! Carmel! Love all your discs! :)

I'm too lazy but I should post some pics of the Guess Who SACDs and some other stuff I got a while back.
Yeah, what you saw was my recent jazz buys (except the vinyl, and Patricia barber CD), but I've got all types of music. And some of that in audiophile editions as well...

Dire-Straits_Brothers-in-Arms-XRCD.jpg
Eagles Hell Freezes Over.jpg

Abraxas.jpg
The Police Reggatta De Blanc.jpg

The Police.jpg

The Police CDs are just the standard releases in paper sleeve form. All these are images I've posted in other forums of various topics.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #101 of 165
Yeah, what you saw was my recent jazz buys (except the vinyl, and Patricia barber CD), but I've got all types of music. And some of that in audiophile editions as well...
I'm familiar with most or all of the jazz albums you showed. I enjoy some classic rock but I would say 90-95% of what I listen to is jazz.

Is that the Fostex DAC you have?

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #102 of 165
I'm familiar with most or all of the jazz albums you showed. I enjoy some classic rock but I would say 90-95% of what I listen to is jazz.
Yeah, I'm now more 70's Jazz, Rock, R&B, Disco. But mainly Jazz of late, especially Miles Davis, and why you saw a lot of his stuff. I've had some of his stuff, but I'm just now "getting into him".
Is that the Fostex DAC you have?
I see you missed > this post showing my setup :relaxed:

(Teac UD-503)

Oct 30, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #104 of 165

1000044667-01.jpeg
The one thing I will say about having a paid (basic 9.99 a month Spotify account for me) streaming account is it allows me to preview stuff you're interested in. And of course, there's free YouTube videos of jazz musician's recordings, so...

BTW, what Panasonic is that amp is that? Panasonic certainly made some great audio equipment back in the day. BTW, I also still have my Technics SL D303 (1981) but it's been packed away for years. Also have a Denon DP-47F turntable (1993), but it too is currently packed away.

Oct 30, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #105 of 165
The one thing I will say about having a paid (basic 9.99 a month Spotify account for me) streaming account is it allows me to preview stuff you're interested in. And of course, there's free YouTube videos of jazz musician's recordings, so...

BTW, what Panasonic is that amp is that? Panasonic certainly made some great audio equipment back in the day. BTW, I also still have my Technics SL D303 (1981) but it's been packed away for years. Also have a Denon DP-47F turntable (1993), but it too is currently packed away.
My Dad has a Denon DP-57f, with ortofon 2m red catridge - i love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back