"Should I rip my CDs to my PC?"
Dec 3, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #151 of 165
For clarity, with my SACD's, I only rip in stereo since I don't have an SACD player or multi-channel setup.

Anyway, yeah, for me, the primary purpose for ripping my collection is the ability to stream my collection to wherever I am. Especially love that I can stream to my car.
Have you tested different mobile apps for streaming your library? I'm using CloudBeats. It's good, but it could be improved, but in functionality and in the GUI.

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #152 of 165
Have you tested different mobile apps for streaming your library? I'm using CloudBeats. It's good, but it could be improved, but in functionality and in the GUI.
Because I use Plex server on my NAS, I'm able to run Plexamp on my phone. GUI is perfect for my needs - album art, navigation, search features. Don't need full-fledged features for a mobile app.

It also works perfectly with Android Auto for my car. Also supports CarPlay.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #154 of 165
This Santana Lotus (Complete Edition) limited 3 SACD Hybrid disc edition ripped to NAS...
Santana-Lotus-CD.jpg

Ripped to NAS in normal in uncompressed FLAC. Media player - JRiver Media Center 30...
Santana.jpg

BTW, CD package contents can be seen in my post > here.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #155 of 165
Morphine - Cure for Pain & Zero 7 - Simple Things where both gifted to me this Christmas, so I'll be ripping a bit after New Year Eve 👌

Jan 2, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #156 of 165
I ripped my whole collection to my computer in ALAC files with iTunes almost ten years ago. I have been buying my music digitally for the most part, ever since (the only exception being some jazz in CD form).

So, my whole music collection is on my desktop, laptop, phone, iPod and Sony DAP.
To this day, I am still super pumped about having my whole collection in my pocket! :thumbsup:
Just curious how many CDs did you rip?

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #157 of 165
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #158 of 165
I firmly believe that it is important to own a digital copy of one’s music, just as it is to own vinyl records. I buy many of them, but I rarely unwrap them. I collect them and listen to the digital copies that come with the purchase of the records. I have built a hi-end audio PC in DIY. I hope to soon have permission to post the entire project here.” is the English translation of the text you provided.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #159 of 165
250 to 300. Yes, it took quite a while. :smile:
I guess "quite a while" has different meanings for different people depending on process used.

I could rip 250 CDs in less than 5 days max using dBpoweramp which automatically gathers artwork and metadata. And why I use it.

I'm currently near 2800 CDs at the moment, and starting around 2016, I've been slowly ripping CDs to my PC, at first only starting with the ones most liked, and then some with only certain tracks from certain CDs. That got me to about 600 ripped CDs out of the 2700 I had.

Then in Jan 2022, when I finally decided to rip the entire collection to my PC (every CD with all tracks), that task too 4-month for over 1900 CDs. That's 16 CDs a day for 120 days (4-months). I would sometimes do 60 a day, take a break, and do more. Four Months later I was done.

So overall, it took a while since from 2016 to 2022, I only had 600 of the 2700 ripped, but when I decided to knock it out, it was quick only taking 4 months to rip 2100 CDs. Now I rip as soon as I get them. I'll listen to the CD first to make sure nothing is wrong then I'll rip to PC (NAS).

Today, I have 2,623 full CDs (duplicates and junk removed) listed in my media player. That's 33,220 files = 1.5TB of data.

Album count in JRiver.jpg

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #160 of 165
I collect them and listen to the digital copies that come with the purchase of the records.
So, EVERY physical record (vinyl and CD) comes with a digital copy?

I doubt that as I shop all over the internet and I don't even get that. And yes, I know Amazon provides an mp3 digital copy of some music when purchased as I've a few of those myself (though not used as I don't do mp3), but that's not with every physical purchase, only for the ones stating such an option exists.

And, yes, the good thing about ripping your music is play convenience and less wear and tear on the physical copy. That said, I still play my physical copies whenever possible, especially my audiophile copies as they often sound better though the CD player.

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #161 of 165
I guess "quite a while" has different meanings for different people depending on process used.

I could rip 250 CDs in less than 5 days max using dBpoweramp which automatically gathers artwork and metadata. And why I use it.

I'm currently near 2800 CDs at the moment, and starting around 2016, I've been slowly ripping CDs to my PC, at first only starting with the ones most liked, and then some with only certain tracks from certain CDs. That got me to about 600 ripped CDs out of the 2700 I had.

Then in Jan 2022, when I finally decided to rip the entire collection to my PC (every CD with all tracks), that task too 4-month for over 1900 CDs. That's 16 CDs a day for 120 days (4-months). I would sometimes do 60 a day, take a break, and do more. Four Months later I was done.

So overall, it took a while since from 2016 to 2022, I only had 600 of the 2700 ripped, but when I decided to knock it out, it was quick only taking 4 months to rip 2100 CDs. Now I rip as soon as I get them. I'll listen to the CD first to make sure nothing is wrong then I'll rip to PC (NAS).

Today, I have 2,623 full CDs (duplicates and junk removed) listed in my media player. That's 33,220 files = 1.5TB of data.

Album count in JRiver.jpg
Wow, that's a lot of data! I ended up deleting probably close to half of what was on the CD's. So much of what was on my albums and CD's was just junk and filler. We were so ripped off in the era of albums and CD's.

Buying digital has been Awesome. Most times I buy just the songs I want and not the whole album. I am up to almost 8000 files now and I Love every song/piece of music.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #162 of 165
Buying digital has been Awesome. Most times I buy just the songs I want and not the whole album. I am up to almost 8000 files now and I Love every song/piece of music.
Yeah, I've bought some digital only albums.... only to end up getting a physical copy. Waste of money for me there so I'll stick with physical. Doesn't mean I can't mix and match, but I'm first and foremost a physical media collector going back to the mid 70s. The fact that I've digitized my physical media and bought some digital downloads doesn't change that. And I still play the physical media on my audiophile system :L3000: And why I look for audiophile/special editions such as this > one.

Wow, that's a lot of data!
It's only 1.5TB out of a 12TB (10.7 useable) NAS setup and its backup drive :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #163 of 165
My entire CD collection was stolen when I lived in Florida. From there I decided that having physical media was truly a waste of money. Never purchased another CD after that. Resorted to downloading MP3 and eventually moved to streaming music when that came out.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #164 of 165
I’m in the process of acquiring a cd drive for my computer. Sadly didn’t build one with it, and now I own a car with only a cd player. Lmao

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #165 of 165
I’m in the process of acquiring a cd drive for my computer. Sadly didn’t build one with it, and now I own a car with only a cd player. Lmao
Internal CD drives are cheap these days. Cheaper than most external drives.

And I also have a stock CD player in my car which I also use, but I mostly stream from NAS to phone to car :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back