"Should I rip my CDs to my PC?"
Oct 31, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #121 of 165
My last cartridge was a Grado Gold. Unfortunately, my wife decided to do me a "favor" by dusting the turntable... and ended up pulling the tip off the needle. Of course, I was mad as hell. Anyway, since I'm more into CDs now, and wasn't using the turntable much then, I just packed it away. It still needs a cartridge.

This is a B&W photo of the turntable with stock moving coil cartridge. BTW, being a photographer, this was the first photo I ever sold. Had many after; not so much now.

music, please.jpg

Anyway, I'm not aware of a Denon DP-57F, I know of the L, and M models, but not "F". Can't even find it via Googe - "Denon DP-57F Turntable."
i hate when that happens, we've currently got a grace f9 ruby stylus that needs retipping, and you can't get them anywhere.
also, the denon is a DP51F, not 57, my mistake!

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #122 of 165
This is a B&W photo of the turntable with stock moving coil cartridge. BTW, being a photographer, this was the first photo I ever sold. Had many after; not so much now.

music, please.jpg
good to see someone taking good hifi pictures! i had no idea the stock cartridge was MC either, you don't see that much, MC units are so much more expensive these days!

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #123 of 165
I feel your pain.

Back in about 2004 or so when I had some $ and the wife did not clean, our hired housecleaner "dusted" the stereo setup and demolished the cantilever (shank) on a really nice Ortofon moving coil in my turntable setup.

It was not more than months later that I started dabbling in digital audio, first with Sonos then Mac based computer audio. And the result was my $2500 CD player and the vinyl setup got dethroned, even though the Mac was running into a Benchmark Dac.

Anyhow, sorry for your loss.
Thanks. My only saving grace (and the reason I didn't divorce her :smiley:) was I was well into my CD collection by that time. I only used the turntable when I occasionally venture into my vinyl for stuff I hadn't replaced or found on CD. In fact, I'll say I've replaced about 50 percent of my vinyl collection with CD equivalents. That in turn caused my collection to drop from 1100 albums down to 900 before I realized, I might want to keep those vinyl albums. Some stuff just sounds better on vinyl, no matter the CD.

Anyway, I'll eventually blow the dust off the turntable again, once I figure out a place to set it in relation to my audio setup around my PC. Plus, there's some more stuff I want to copy to CD that's never made it there, such as this Ron Carter Empire Jazz (1980 RSO), jazz album I copied to CD and ripped to my PC. Man, I love this album...

Empire Jazz Hi-Res.jpg

Empire-Jazz - Front Cover.jpg
Empire-Jazz-credits.jpg

I have other stuff that I copied to CD and ripped to PC, but I have lots more that's unfortunately, never made it or isn't going to make it to CD :frowning2:

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #124 of 165
good to see someone taking good hifi pictures! i had no idea the stock cartridge was MC either, you don't see that much, MC units are so much more expensive these days!
I bought the turntable at the stereo shop (separate from the Base Exchange) on base when I was stationed at Soesterberg AB, the Netherlands in 1993. That's the cartridge that was in the box. I remember being impressed that it was a moving coil. I still have it BTW, but I think it needs a needle.

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #125 of 165
Ron Carter is in Prague this Friday night! Sadly, I won't be able to make it :frowning2:

BTW, with a good digital recorder (or even a bad one) you can make copies of LPs.

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #126 of 165
i hate when that happens, we've currently got a grace f9 ruby stylus that needs retipping, and you can't get them anywhere.
also, the denon is a DP51F, not 57, my mistake!
I have that same cartridge, among others It is definitely a keeper! Hopefully some specialty shop can get you fixed up.

Oct 31, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #127 of 165
Ron Carter is in Prague this Friday night! Sadly, I won't be able to make it :frowning2:

BTW, with a good digital recorder (or even a bad one) you can make copies of LPs.
You mean like this Pioneer PDR-503 CD recorder I have :wink:

er73f49t03bzyw68jhru.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Reverb.com)

This isn't a great image, but this was my setup back around 2005...

DSCN0053.jpg

Sitting on the Adcom GFA II - 555 amp (3rd shelf) is the Pioneer PDR-509 CD recorder (still have it). I'd simply put an LP on, set to record, and whalla... album on CD.

Of course, I had to use an editing program to break up the single files (2 files for both sides of the album) into individual tracks... unless I stopped and started the recording for each and every induvial track, a time-consuming process.

After creating the disc from the Pioneer, drop the files from it on PC to edit into individual tracks, then burn files to CD-R disc from recorder in PC. From there create the artwork for front/back cover and disk. Whalla... full-fledged album on CD, complete with artwork :sunglasses:

BTW, I used Sound Forge Audio Studio, back then to edit and clean up files before finalizing to CD. Can't speak on it now as it's been at least 10+ years since I last used it.

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #128 of 165
I forgot about CD recorders although I have one right next to me. I meant digital media recorders.

But yeah, great idea :)

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #129 of 165
You mean like this Pioneer PDR-503 CD recorder I have :wink:

er73f49t03bzyw68jhru.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Reverb.com)

This isn't a great image, but this was my setup back around 2005...

DSCN0053.jpg

Sitting on the Adcom GFA II - 555 amp (3rd shelf) is the Pioneer PDR-509 CD recorder (still have it). I'd simply put an LP on, set to record, and whalla... album on CD.

Of course, I had to use an editing program to break up the single files (2 files for both sides of the album) into individual tracks... unless I stopped and started the recording for each and every induvial track, a time-consuming process.

After creating the disc from the Pioneer, drop the files from it on PC to edit into individual tracks, then burn files to CD-R disc from recorder in PC. From there create the artwork for front/back cover and disk. Whalla... full-fledged album on CD, complete with artwork :sunglasses:

BTW, I used Sound Forge Audio Studio, back then to edit and clean up files before finalizing to CD. Can't speak on it now as it's been at least 10+ years since I last used it.
what are the speakers in this picture?

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #130 of 165
I bought the turntable at the stereo shop (separate from the Base Exchange) on base when I was stationed at Soesterberg AB, the Netherlands in 1993. That's the cartridge that was in the box. I remember being impressed that it was a moving coil. I still have it BTW, but I think it needs a needle.
nice, bringing it back from the Netherlands shoes dedication, worth it though!

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #131 of 165
Oct 31, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #133 of 165
nice, bringing it back from the Netherlands shoes dedication, worth it though!
Thanks, but a little confused???...

Why wouldn't I have shipped it back to the states with the rest of my goods when my tour was over? That's not dedications, that's "this is my property, it goes where I go" :slight_smile:

And since it was bought through an American exchange (via military base), it was 120volt compatible.

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #135 of 165
Anyone else taking advantage of Bandcamp Friday? :)
I snagged 4 digital albums, so lots of new music for the NAS, but unfortunately no ripping, as none of them had physical copies available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back