"Should I rip my CDs to my PC?"
Nov 7, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #137 of 165
Anybody collecting the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (Mo-FI) numbered Hybrid SACD's. These are just 5 of the ones I own. Here, though are my top five favorite Miles albums, and because of that, I wanted them in this Mo-FI SACD collection. I have other Miles SACDs, but I specifically wanted these five...

5 Miles Favorites.jpg

SACD-Porgy-and-Bess-crp.jpg
SACD-Numbered-Porgy-and-Bess.jpg

They're also ripped to my NAS as a 2-channel FLAC file.

Anyway, I buy them because I love the packaging... mini-LP facsimiles, Mo-FI, and sound quality.

Again, for those of us who collect and rip :sunglasses:

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #138 of 165
Beautiful set! :heart_eyes:

Nov 9, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #140 of 165
Here are 3 double album SACDs of The Guess Who that I got, and a 4 disc Doobie Brothers set on regular CD.

1699527553904.png

02 Guess Who SACDs.JPG

03 Doobie Brothers Long Train Runnin' 4 CD Box Set.JPG

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #141 of 165
Those are cool, and probably hard to find now. One of the reasons I also collect is now having hard to find stuff.

Anyway, my question was more about the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs discs (Mo-Fi) as they are limited production item. Just curious if anyone else is collecting those?

BTW, mine are Miles Davis, but Mo-Fi, isn't just limited to Miles; they have some really good titles from Jazz to R&B to Rock to classical... Mo-Fi Digital Store. They can also be had from other retailers such as Elusive Disc.

Mo-Fi also has a catalogue of non-SACD releases, such as these... Bob Marley Exodus, The Pointer Sisters, Steely Dan Aja, and Pink Floyd The Wall...

20231109_132603.jpg

These are just some of the many I have, but wanted to show those as to range of genre - Reggae, R&B, Jazz rock, Rock.

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #142 of 165
It wasn't answering your question, we got onto the topic of SACD so I showed a few.

I have some MFSL heavy vinyl LPs from the old days, but I'm unlikely to buy CDs. If I can find SACDs I like I might grab them.

The reason I got the Doobie Brothers set is that Disc 4 is not available any other way, as far as I know.

I can get CD quality albums via streaming, but I have not seen any service streaming DSD.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #143 of 165
It wasn't answering your question, we got onto the topic of SACD so I showed a few.

I have some MFSL heavy vinyl LPs from the old days, but I'm unlikely to buy CDs. If I can find SACDs I like I might grab them.

The reason I got the Doobie Brothers set is that Disc 4 is not available any other way, as far as I know.

I can get CD quality albums via streaming, but I have not seen any service streaming DSD.
My replies aren't meant to be confrontational, but conversational :sunglasses:

That said, it's not about "CD quality" as I'm well aware I can get "CD quality" via streaming as proofed by my own experience with the ripped files I stream. But I'm also into collecting physical media, and having that personal collection ripped to my PC for streaming, in this case... to my car's audio system. When home, I enjoy pulling out a CD and playing it on my CD player.

I also feel like some of my CD's sound better than digital files. I know this is blasphemy to some, but that's me. And no, I'm not going to justify that as we all hear things differently and that is fact. At the end of the day, we enjoy our music the way we enjoy it, and that's all that should matter.

Anyway, I'm not here to convince anyone to do anything, I'm simply trying to connect to those who do what I do and feel as I feel. Thus, my post :sunglasses:

BTW, you can buy DSD files, but your equipment / media player has to support them as mine does. That said, I've not bought any DSD files, but I do have some hi-res files - 24bit/192kHz but to be honest, I don't like the way they sound - a bit too "digital", Prefer a warmer sound closer to analog.

JRiver Media Cener....
Hi-Res files.jpg

Through Teac UD-503 DAC...
DAC-Hi-Res-Playback.jpg

Got them through the Qobuz music store. Also have Hiromi's Move album in 21bit/192 kHz, got that from HDTracks. Much prefer the regular CD (Telarc label).

That said, to be honest my system (DAC) is a tad bright, as are my headphones (though those have been toned with a cable replacement) so with bright music sources (some hi-res files) it can sound annoying, and another reason I'm looking to upgrade. But I'll still have my physical collection - CDs and vinyl. And they'll still be/get ripped :slight_smile:

Nov 10, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #144 of 165
I also feel like some of my CD's sound better than digital files. I know this is blasphemy to some, but that's me.
It’s not that it’s blasphemy, just that it’s incorrect, because CDs are of course digital files. Digital files can of course sound different to other digital files, even of the same track/recording because they may be different masters and obviously, different masters are supposed to sound different. Of course though, if that’s the case then they sound different because they are different masters, not because one is a digital file and the other is a digital file on a CD.
And no, I'm not going to justify that as we all hear things differently and that is fact.
It is indeed a fact that many of us “hear things differently“ but of course, that’s a function of your hearing, not of digital files. The digital files themselves obviously don’t “hear things differently” or somehow know that you do and change their output accordingly.
At the end of the day, we enjoy our music the way we enjoy it, and that's all that should matter.
Again, you’re talking about your enjoyment of music, not of the digital file/s, which don’t even know they contain music, let alone that it’s enjoyable.
I do have some hi-res files - 24bit/192kHz but to be honest, I don't like the way they sound - a bit too "digital", Prefer a warmer sound closer to analog.
A digital file is entirely a digital file, it cannot be more than or less than entirely digital. Therefore, it cannot sound more or “too” digital, regardless of 24/192 or 16/44 and if the original recording/master was analogue, then a digital conversion will be/sound closer to that analogue recording. Of course, you are entitled to hear differently and to what you feel, enjoy, prefer or believe, but of course these are all (your personal) human traits, digital files do not have any human traits and obviously do not know and are not affected by yours (or any other consumers). You are confusing your personal human response to the content of digital files with the physical properties of digital files themselves.

G

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #145 of 165
It’s not that it’s blasphemy, just that it’s incorrect....
We'll have to agree to disagree agreeably, cause I'm not listening to your theory, I'm hearing what "my" ears are telling me through "my" system.

Whether you choose to believe or accept that is irrelevant to my listening experience. No debate needed.

Peace :sunglasses:

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #146 of 165
We'll have to agree to disagree agreeably, cause I'm not listening to your theory,
But that’s not “disagreeing agreeably” because of course your assertion that it’s “my theory” is a falsehood. You really think it’s only “my theory” rather than actual fact that CDs contain digital files and that a digital file can somehow not be a digital file or be “more analogue”? Why do you think CDs are called “digital audio” and do you really think they were called that in honour of “my theory”?
I'm hearing what "my" ears are telling me through "my" system.
Firstly, your ears aren’t telling you anything! Your ears send nerve impulses to your brain (specifically your auditory cortex) and it’s your auditory cortex that is telling you what you’re hearing. Surely you’re not claiming that you only have ears and no brain/auditory cortex?
Secondly, even if your ears are somehow telling you that CDs are not digital files, obviously they’re telling you something that is not true. CDs are not some kind of small silver coloured vinyl record or some bizarre analogue hybrid that can’t and doesn’t exist.
Whether you choose to believe or accept that is irrelevant to my listening experience. No debate needed.
No debate should be needed but apparently is, because “your listening experience”, your ears or your enjoyment are of course yours, CDs/digital files obviously do not have your listening experience (or any “listening experience”) and do not magically change or become something else depending on your (or anyone else’s) listening experience. If your listening experience is the only thing that is relevant to you and the only thing you know about, then stick to that and don’t make-up false assertions about the physical properties of CDs and digital files being something they’re not.

Rather than countering my point, your response does the exact opposite and just further proves it, that “You’re confusing your personal human response with the physical properties of CDs/digital files”.

G

Nov 30, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #148 of 165
Ripped my music collection years ago to lossless so I could have it on my MBP, iPad and iPhone works out great for me and I find I am listening to my Headphones more and more thanks to the industry loading so much tech in modern receivers it feels good to just have a great set of headphones with an amp that is basically gain on a wire and enjoy the music.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #149 of 165
JRiver Media Center.png

Ask this question – "should I rip my CDs to my PC?” and you will get a myriad of opinions. But the question behind that question should be what are “you” wishing to accomplish? Many have their ideas, but do they align with yours and your needs?

For me, when I decided to rip my 2700+ CD collection to PC in FLAC using dBpoweramp (which also does a pretty good job in tagging and grabbing album art) I did so with the intention of being able to stream my personal collection anywhere I wanted to via Plex.

Yes, I have Spotify’s music streaming service, but since I’m also a music collector who buys physical copies of stuff I really like and have been buying since the mid-70s. As such my collection is my main source of music, and though I listen to Spotify, it’s also mainly used as a previewer of what I want to buy.

The great thing about having my collection on PC now is I can easily find stuff. I can easily browse though it in JRiver Media Center by album cover, artist, title, track name, or genre. I can easily create personalized playlists. I’m now listening to stuff I’ve not heard in years or otherwise forgot about. And most importantly, I can hear it wherever I want.

Because my Western Digital NAS is also cloud based and supports Plex Media Server, I can stream from outside the home to any device Plex is supported on, including my android phone via Plexamp, as well as phone to car. From the car I can issue voice commands to the Infotainment system to play what I want, be it album, track, or playlist, so no fumbling with knobs or touch screens.

And as long as I have internet connectivity Plex works. I’ve driven from VA to NY with Plex streaming and never lost connectivity from my NAS.

Sure, you can do all this with streaming apps, but this is about those of us who wish to rip our own physical collections and have it available anywhere.

Of course, there’s always a pro/con / “what if” scenario – storage considerations, cost of hardware/software, size of collection, time required, streaming service, what if a drive fails. For me, I did consider those things, and some were already in place, so for me ripping was a no brainer.

This is just one of many avenues, and I’m sure there will be a plethora of opinions and points, and that’s fine. Do bear in mind this is targeted at those such as myself who collect and wish to rip to PC.

My two cents.
I also ripped my entire collection of CDs and other digital media. This allowed me to accomplish a few things. First, having a backup of my collection Is good since I have had some physical media that failed. For CD it’s rare, but I remember having serious issues with the multichannel blu-ray of The Dark Side of the Moon, when it came out in 2011. As you do, I’m also streaming my collection. Streaming services don’t have all the mastering you are looking for. In some cases they only have the latest remasters. Ripping for me is also important because I rarely play back using a player. I rip stereo and multichannel for playback via Kodi and an AV processor. It’s great to be able to switch between albums and stereo/multichannel with one click.

Dec 3, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #150 of 165
I rip stereo and multichannel for playback via Kodi and an AV processor. It’s great to be able to switch between albums and stereo/multichannel with one click.
For clarity, with my SACD's, I only rip in stereo since I don't have an SACD player or multi-channel setup.

Anyway, yeah, for me, the primary purpose for ripping my collection is the ability to stream my collection to wherever I am. Especially love that I can stream to my car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back